Do I have to have a data plan to send/receive MMS on the Q9h?

alexanka85

Sep 15, 2008
Visit site
I've got an unlimited SMS/MMS plan from AT&T. SMS works just fine, but I can seem to send or receive multimedia messages. When I try to receive one, the message says "The message from (insert sender here) has to be downloaded." and "To download the message press 'Download'". When I press download it says "Alert. Could not send and receive all the messages." When I try to send one, it says "Alert. Could not send all the messages." Do I have to have a data plan to actually be able to send/receive MMS?

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
You would think that based on the description of the Messaging Unlimited plan:

"UNLIMITED Text, Video, Picture, and Instant Messages. GET IT ALL at a discounted monthly rate. You have the freedom to message any way to any one. "

that you wouldn't need the data package. But stranger things have happened. Here's the fine print from the ATT website:

"Unlimited MEdia Net package required for CV Video, XM Radio, MobiTV and MobiRadio users. Pay-Per-Use Charges: Text/Instant Messaging 20?/message; Picture/Video Messages 30?/message; MEdia Net Browsing 1?/KB. MEdia Net and MEdia Bundles are not available on PDAs/Pocket PCs, RIM? devices or LaptopConnect cards. Additional subscription and download charges may apply."

Clear as mud? I'm going to guess that Video Messages are MMS messages in the eye's of ATT and you're probably going to need a data package.

When in doubt, swing by the local ATT store and talk to the Manager.

George Knighton

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I've got an unlimited SMS/MMS plan from AT&T. SMS works just fine, but I can seem to send or receive multimedia messages. When I try to receive one, the message says "The message from (insert sender here) has to be downloaded." and "To download the message press 'Download'". When I press download it says "Alert. Could not send and receive all the messages." When I try to send one, it says "Alert. Could not send all the messages." Do I have to have a data plan to actually be able to send/receive MMS?

No, you do not need a data plan in addition to your SMS/MMS unlimited plan in order to send MMS. You can even "MMS" to somebody's email address, even with an attachment.

There's something wrong with your MMS settings.

If you have to get AT&T to resolve your settings issues, then they're going to try to put you on a data plan because, well...because you have a PDA. But you don't need the data plan to use the MMS.

tony bag o donuts

Oct 5, 2005
Visit site
on verizon, if your data connection is blocked, etc. you cannot get mms.
also, it doesn't count as part of unlimited mms so you will get minor data charges.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon