Android to Windows transition

GreenAce92_2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Well, I have bought my first Windows phone.
I must say it is quite different, but my GOD! Do I love this phone.

Some things I am missing from the android platform:
*file manager* - method to view files
*video playing software* - recognizes multiple formats like .MTS

Those are the two big ones at the moment.

I'd appreciate any help and other suggestions.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
There is no file manager on WP. I use Skydrive app to manage my files. VLC is working on media player app for WP8. Tversity program on PC can stream videos to "Streaming Media" app on WP8.

Erickson187

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Welcome glad that you like the WP. I switched from android when Verizon came out with the WP first for Xbox achievements and have loved the OS much smoother and better looking.

Hope more people give it a try so we can get all the big name apps also since that's what the masses care about so we can grow our base.

GreenAce92_2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much for the welcome guys!

Sorry for the late response, I have not configured my micrsoft email yet on the 920.
So I came here with another query:

Is the bing search browser a single tab only? As in, when I accidentally hit the magnifying glass on the bottom right hand side of my phone, which then opens a pretty new bing page, does that mean I just lost whatever was on my last bing search session? I really hope the answer is no. That in fact I have thirty bing tabs open somewhere and it is hardly noticeable because of the dual core 1.5GHz processor. Am I that lucky?

Also, thanks for the tip on the Skydrive file managing and vlc soon to be app
At first I was worried about the tile layout, no cool personal background, but I think the OS developers hit it spot on with the lock screen image.

Again thanks for the welcome guys.
I just love this phone! Ah! The aesthetics...the resolution of the screen, speed...ah!

GreenAce92_2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to update some of my findings as I use this phone more

It should be noted to potential windows customers that these phones rely heavily on past windows user experience

let me re-phrase that, this phone goes well if you are a heavy microsoft guy as in you have an xbox live account, use a hotmail email etc...

It seems that the device is optimized to use device drivers like that of the Zune in order to transfer files like music and videos... unlike android which can be simply dragged into like a flash drive, so that's kind of a negative thing for me as I have rarely ever used microsoft aside from the operating system itself (Windows XP)

I can't drag videos into the phone without converting them or using a windows to windows medium/transition base

Also, I can't even respond to anything on this forum using my Nokia Lumia 920, as soon as I click on the reply box, the keyboard briefly pops up then quickly disappears...

The camera is a also iffy, mostly in that the blurr effect is evident in a lot of photos, also the preview does not look like the actual photo taken and what I mean by that is, when you look at the camera (live image about to be taken) it may look well as the camera's software adapts to the conditions but when you take the picture, the picture looks like crap

So... I think it may have been another label endorsing a mediocre product

GreenAce92_2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Really what's positive is the speed of the LTE network on AT&T here and the phone is pretty sweet looking

It is also a negative thing that once you buy the phone in a certain color, you are locked with that color even if an insurance protection plan gets you a new phone / refurbished

So if you are impatient like me, don't buy the color that you don't want.

I'm looking to see if I can either buy a broken Nokia Lumia 920 off someone in the color I want or buy the cover itself in the color I wanted (yellow). Otherwise...I'm stuck with lame old black

clbarker10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
It is also a negative thing that once you buy the phone in a certain color, you are locked with that color even if an insurance protection plan gets you a new phone / refurbished

So if you are impatient like me, don't buy the color that you don't want.

I'm looking to see if I can either buy a broken Nokia Lumia 920 off someone in the color I want or buy the cover itself in the color I wanted (yellow). Otherwise...I'm stuck with lame old black

Sorry to hear that. Have you thought about a skin that offers a layer of protection and has a unique look? There are some well made ones out there...I personally am thinking about getting both the white and black carbon fiber skins after I buy my second back cover (1 white,1 black). I can swap my covers on my 820 and I know you cant but like I said, many skins look really good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon