Having Second Thoughts...

RangerontheFarm

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I just got the Lumia 928 two days ago. Previously, I was a sprint customer and had an android phone, EVO 4g. I am having second thoughts about this windows phone. While I am ecstatic about the camera, I am concerned over the lack of apps and available. I'm sure part of it is me still not being fully aware of the phones capabilities, but I'm starting to wonder whether this was such a good decision. For example, my wifi printer is an HP, I had a nice app that interacted with this printer on my android. Another, I've got a netgear router which had a nice app on android to control/manage my wifi. Nothing like that on windows. And the apps that they do have aren't up to par with the android versions. For example, the gas buddy app in windows won't allow me to save my favorite places while in android I can. I'm in my 14day trial period, so I still can change my mind and go back to android. Please help.

Sebastianx

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I just got the Lumia 928 two days ago. Previously, I was a sprint customer and had an android phone, EVO 4g. I am having second thoughts about this windows phone. While I am ecstatic about the camera, I am concerned over the lack of apps and available. I'm sure part of it is me still not being fully aware of the phones capabilities, but I'm starting to wonder whether this was such a good decision. For example, my wifi printer is an HP, I had a nice app that interacted with this printer on my android. Another, I've got a netgear router which had a nice app on android to control/manage my wifi. Nothing like that on windows. And the apps that they do have aren't up to par with the android versions. For example, the gas buddy app in windows won't allow me to save my favorite places while in android I can. I'm in my 14day trial period, so I still can change my mind and go back to android. Please help.

As you say you're on a trial. So mess up and play with your lumia phone within that period if windows phone wont suit your lifestyle then windows phone is not for you. You can simply go back to android.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I understand your frustration, however you really should have researched the availability of the apps you use daily on android to see if they were offered on windows before you switched. None of what you mentioned seems like deal breakers to me though.

RangerontheFarm

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Not deal breakers. And I did plenty of research. Been looking at different phones for 3-4months. Like I said, second thoughts. I do have a surface which I love and I also have an Xbox360, but I don't play it much any more. I'm still exploring the compatibility with those devices. Again, the camera is awesome, which I need because I take a lot of pictures of my 18mo old and have another boy on the way.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
One of the things that bugs me a lot is apps for everything, an example you mention is your Netgear configuration app. I have an app to configure my router too: Internet Explorer. I have used it many times to configure my router. There are apps that are missing or late to Windows Phone, but there are many apps on iOS and Android that are just reskinned websites, and not often in a good way.

This comic does a great job of explaining my complaint:
app.png

RangerontheFarm

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I partially agree with that. I do believe that a lot of apps are "reskinned" websites, but sometimes that can be a good thing. Quick access and cut out some of the unnecessary stuff... I'll just have to start saving websites to my favorites for quick access.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Don't get me wrong. There are times when the app is more than just a re-presentation of a website. The WPCentral app is much more than a reskin of the website, for instance. In cases like that, I'm glad to use the app instead of the website.

RangerontheFarm

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm starting to find way around pretty well. I'm getting the majority of the apps I need. I really enjoy the customization of cool tiles app. One app that I am currently searching for is one that will allow me to access a shared network drive over my home WiFi. Is there such an app?

Lumiant

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm starting to find way around pretty well. I'm getting the majority of the apps I need. I really enjoy the customization of cool tiles app. One app that I am currently searching for is one that will allow me to access a shared network drive over my home WiFi. Is there such an app?

Maybe you mean ShareFolder. It has a free trial so check it out if it suites your needs. If you're looking for media playback i suggest Plex as it's free for Nokia phones for the first month.

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I just got a Lumia 925 on att Tuesday and have been messing with it since. I really like the camera so far but google need to step up and provide apps like they do for iOS. I know WP is not there in terms of market share so hopefully they will. I would not say I am a convert and am still keeping my android to use but will keep this 925 regardless as a SIM free camera or wifi device.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre