Meet Your Windows Central Ambassadors

Status
Not open for further replies.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Everyday Windows Central's News Blog and Discussion Forums are viewed by thousands of guests and members. People come here looking for help, research on products and services and extended discussion for all things Windows: Phones, Tablets, 2-in-1 Devices, Laptops, Desktops, Xbox, Microsoft Services, Cloud Computing, Wearables and the emerging Internet of Things. Windows touches so many lives daily and is an internationally recognized group of platforms and services. Windows Central seeks to always be the premier place for users to draw from in order to enhance their Windows experiences.

With that enhancement of experience in mind, we have assembled a group of knowledgeable and dedicated volunteers to form the Windows Central Ambassador Team. Ambassadors are regular users, just like you and I, who give back to this great community every day by assisting others. We hold our Ambassadors in the highest regard for their outstanding contributions to, and participation in, helping us achieve the overall goal of making your forum experience the best it can be.

Our mission as Ambassadors:

• Be an Ambassador by promoting the site, encouraging other members and helping to foster a sense of community
  • Be visible and active
  • Make new members of Windows Central feel comfortable by extending welcomes and providing helpful advice
  • Respond to unanswered threads and be helpful by presenting solutions for members and guests who are experiencing problems with their tech.
  • Create guides and how-to threads for reference
  • Create interesting topics and create threads to be stickied at the top of new forums
  • Ongoing support & participation in various device forums and general discussion areas within the forums
  • Know and practice the community guidelines
  • Respect the community and its members

Senior Ambassadors accept some additional responsibilities:

• Lead by example
  • Mentor new Ambassadors
  • Assist the Ambassador Team Leader and Moderator Team with board organization

How are Ambassadors selected?

• Selected by the Ambassador Team Leader & the Moderator Team Leader
  • Input from other volunteer staff
  • Sometimes we even consider members who ask or offer to join the program
wpcentral_logo.png
Windows Central Ambassador Team
(updated July , 2016)

• Guytronic - Ambassador Team Leader
  • TechFreak1 - Senior Ambassador
  • Indistinguishable - Senior Ambassador
  • neo158
  • PepperdotNet
  • Chintan Gohel
  • realwarder
  • charlatan1978
  • libra89
  • gordonfink
  • abhishek singh21

And a special Thank You to retired ambassadors:

• xandros9 (moved from senior ambassador to moderator team)
  • Himanshu Chowdhary
  • berty6294
  • WanderingTraveler
  • Harrie-S (retired senior ambassador)
  • jas00555
  • rhapdog (retired senior ambassador)
  • gpobernardo (moved from senior ambassador to moderator team)
  • pankaj981 (moved to moderator team)
  • Ashish Gupta888
  • Mad Cabbie
  • ven07 (moved from senior ambassador to moderator team)
  • Ed Boland
  • RumoredNow (moved from ambassador team lead to moderator)

Some Ambassadors may choose to introduce themselves in this thread...

Thread structure:
Intro (this post)
Question Invitation and Guidelines
Useful Information about Windows Central and Mobile Nations
Reserved Area (for future use)
Open Thread for Ambassador Greetings and Member Questions

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
We would like to open this thread up for member questions.

[INFO]For purposes of this thread, Ambassadors may answer questions about what areas we have on the board and where best to place your topics or do research on your issue. Other general interest questions may be entertained such as "Which device best suits my needs" or general recommendations. This is not to be a technical help thread on specific devices. It is more about Ambassadors and their helpful role on the board.[/INFO]

[WARN]This is not a venue for interpersonal disputes. Any issues with staff or other members should be addressed by PM (the board's Private Message system). Ambassador Team Leader and Moderator Team Leader are always open to private discussions about their Team Members. Interpersonal issues posted to this thread will be deleted and/or may incur disciplinary action.[/WARN]

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Useful links for Windows Central:

Windows Central is a part of the Mobile Nations family of tech sites:
Your Passport that signs you into Windows Central also gets you access to all the Mobile Nations forums. You are already a member!

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

My name is Rob, but I go by RumoreNow around these parts. I'm pretty firmly hooked on the Windows ecosystem.

I'm currently running a Lumia 1520 daily with a BLU Win HD LTE as a backup, both of which are on WP 8.1. I am looking forward to getting Windows 10 Mobile official on them. I pair either phone with a first gen Band.

My tablet is a Nokia Lumia 2520 running RT 8.1. Judge if you want, but it does what I need and is SIM capable besides. It's the AT&T variant which I've had carrier unlocked.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron running Windows 10 on a 15.6" touchscreen with a 5th gen i3, 4 GB RAM and a 1 TB HDD. Nothing fancy. Basic productivity. I do have a spare laptop that I'm looking into turning into a home server, but that is a topic for another thread. LOL

Some of the areas I find myself researching and keeping up to date on include: cell phone photography, device compatibility with carrier frequencies, carrier related issues and network standards, and just trying to keep up with all of you here on this board!

Some of my help threads include:
Useful Bookmarks (to help with handy references for all things Windows/Windows Phone/Windows Central/Mobile Nations)
You CAN Change the Email Address of Your Microsoft Account Without Resetting Your Device (a how-to for carrying your ownerships to a new email address)
Matching Radios to Carriers: How to Run Unlocked (help for getting the right device for your network or network for your device)
and a full flavored camera comparison: Lumia Camera Shootout: 928 -vs- 1520 -vs- 830

Nice to meet all of you and I hope our team helps you get the most out of this board and out of your devices...

Last edited:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I suppose as a Senior Ambassador, I should set an example and introduce myself. Please understand that we may not all introduce ourselves like I am doing, because not everyone is comfortable telling about real life. If you aren't comfortable reading about real life, you should stop now. ;)

I'm rhapdog. The reason it's not Rhapdog is because all lowercase is faster to type when I log in.

Pretty much anywhere you see this username on the internet, that's me. I've never seen it in use anywhere else, and I did extensive searching to obtain something that was unique and unused on the internet. Copy it, and I will hunt you down! ;)

First off, I want people to be able to pronounce my username properly. I was on the phone with a customer service rep once that called it "R - Hap - dog", and that's wrong. The "H" is silent. Rhap rhymes with app. Yeah, it sounds like a rapper name, but it's not. The reason it is spelled with an "H" is important to me, as I am a music lover and the job I have loved the most over the years was teaching music to others. Rhap is short for rhapsody. Dog, well, I'm a dog lover as well. Rhap-dawg is wrong as well. Dawg is that mascot from a rival school, and we don't do that in my house. ;)

My experience in tech has grown through the years, starting in the 1970s when I learned to program computers, build and repair computers, and learned to work on other electronic equipment. Yes, the PC didn't exist yet. My father worked for IBM, and I got a bit of exposure there as well as exposure to other early computers.

I've lived through every iteration of Apple computers, IBM computers, and all the clones of IBM compatible that followed. I've had the pleasure of owning and/or tinkering with nearly all of them over the years. I ran my own electronic Bulletin Board System and email server years before the Internet existed.

I have been everything from a Chief Information Officer to Data Entry Clerk in my days as a work-a-holic. I always worked multiple jobs, so while I was working as a programmer, I also had my own catering business (yes, culinary training was also on my list of things I did), worked in law enforcement (yes, law enforcement school), was a preacher (Bible College), music teacher, choir director, counselor, and even taught 5th grade Science, but not all at the same time. (Yes, I went through a lot of schooling.)

I retired from work over 5 years ago. I was working from home doing freelance programming, and life with a baby got to be too much. Once the 2nd baby arrived, I made the decision not to return to the work at all. Now I'm a happy stay-at-home Dad and my wife is thrilled to have me do it, because she finally gets to do her career. I can't believe I'm staying at home taking care of a 3 year old and almost 6 year old with me being over 50, but life is good and I'm blessed to be able to do it.

Taking care of a family doesn't give me a lot of time to be on the forums here, and some months are busier than others. Whenever I get the extra time, I like to come in and see who needs help and try to help wherever I can. I also like to have some fun with it, and you may see me making jokes around, or at least what I think passes for jokes. Life is too short not to laugh.

I find that many people hang around the forums a lot because they love keeping up with the latest in what's going on with technology, and they always want to have the latest. I'm not talking about people who come in on occasion and ask questions or get help, but those who hang around on a regular basis. Generally speaking, those are looking for flagship devices and tend to get new phones on a regular basis. Well, I'm the exception to that rule. I'm perfectly satisfied with my Lumia 640 and really don't see myself upgrading any time soon. I don't hang around for the tech talk, though I do like keeping up with it. It's not from a need of wanting the next thing, but from a different need. I feel useful when I help other people. This is something I can do. I have a lot of tech knowledge and I enjoy sharing what I can.

There is so much more I could share, but you should just read around the forum and you'll learn enough if you hang around enough.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well having let my presence known in this thread, I guess I am now compelled to reply... :grincry:?

Naw I'm just kidding.

Where to start, hmm..

Suppose I'd have to start with my name, Techfreak1... well it was a random name which I just plucked out of thin air to join this forum. I had been lurking around in the shadows mid November 2012 as that is when I got my L920 and then finally joined a few months later.

Like an unwanted house guest at a party... I never left :grin:.

As the saying goes the rest is history :winktongue: and the name well...I'm not too fussed about that :grin:.

A person is defined by their actions not his/her name towards others, nothing else.

Devices I use right now:

laptop hp probook 4730s (Core i5 2450M with a rebrand GDDR5 1 GB AMD 7470M)
my trusty L920
xbox one
Playstation 3
LG TV as the main monitor

About me:
Ask and I may tell you... even then it depends who's asking and what the question is :evil:.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Why the name Indistinguishable, you ask? Well it's two pronged:

First off, I like to maintain some anonymity on the internet. I think it's possible to have some level of anonymity while still maintaining some manners and etiquette. The internet is a big place, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

The second reason is a bit more interesting. One of my favorite science fiction authors is Arthur C. Clarke. Clarke wrote an essay titled "Hazards of Prophecy: The Failure of Imagination." I'll let you read the essay yourself. But a major portion of it was predicting the technology of the future. From that essay came the third law in what has become known as "Clarke's Three Laws." It goes like this: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Isn't that the truth? The most captivating of technologies are the ones that leave you speechless. The ones that leave you wondering "How is that even possible?" The kind of technology that just... Works. We've seen this type of awe and wonder at Hololens demos, Surface Book reveals, and even Continuum explanations. I think Microsoft is on the cutting edge of the kind of technological advancements that are indistinguishable from magic.

I'm fully invested in the Microsoft Eco System. I'm rocking a Surface Pro 3, a Lumia Icon, an Xbox One and a Microsoft Band 1. I love how easily Microsoft's products and services integrate into my life. And I love that I have the opportunity to be apart of a community such as Windows Central. We here in this community are able discuss, troubleshoot, and solve. We can hope, plan, and dream. And ultimately, we can do this Microsoft influenced life together.

Cheers!

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Welp talking about life isn't easy, but I'll give it a shot :D

So to start; the name is Ven, Ven07. Nope it's not a homage to 007, but I do enjoy the movies and books. The first part Ven simply stems from my real name Venod and the second part has to do with my birth month/day. Unfortunately it's not quite unique, but it works for me :)

How did I get here? Ehrm it all started on a warm spring day.. Ok that's a lie......... Tbh I never gave much thought to phones, but I own the N9! Loved it!!!! Then I sold it and got a Nokia 7600c (it was a rash decision I made so that I had sth to break the ice when striking up a conversation with "her" -- plan worked well btw).

Many years later the MS-Nokia takeover news captivated me and the name "Windows Phone" dropped into my vocabulary. I started looking up these phones! Fell in love with a Surface phone concept, but it was just a concept -_- However at that point I had learned enough to know that I wanted a WP no matter what. At first I wanted the 928, but couldn't find it anywhere locally... The 925 however was readily available, so after much deliberation (I mean fidgeting) I went ahead and got the 925. Shortly after that I joined the forums, started helping out with small questions and then I noticed users with the ambassador title! I remember thinking "wow that is so cool!".

After a while I sent a PM (yes I was that annoying) to one of the ambassadors (he's gone to a better place now -- just to be clear; he's a mod now) and he told me that he started off doing the same as me; just helping where he could. I didn't think I would get to be an ambassador tho, but fast forward to now and voila xd

Daily life?

Just got an LLB title :) Might go for the LLM next October (eh Dutch Law tho, so don't ask me anything about the American legal system lol) and currently on the job hunt...................................

My "stuff"?

Lumia 920 (need to get me a wireless charger tho since micro usb port isn't functioning)
Lumia 635 (functions well as my backup)
xbox 360
Hp pav g6 series (i5 processor -- does the job for me)
Office 2013 (does that count?)

and my Lumia 925 is still around, but I haven't gone over to swapping out the motherboard yet...
Someday perhaps I'll own a band lol

Ehm can't think of anything to add tho, so if sth wasn't clear, you can ask and perhaps I'll answer :D

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
We have some changes today...

Senior Ambassador rhapdog is taking retirement from the team. In the time I've worked with this guy he has proven how knowledgeable and dedicated he is to all things Windows. He's written many help guides and answered a ton of questions. The community was very lucky to have him on board, IMHO. He'll still be around Windows Central, he just doesn't have the time to devote to this team.

Ambassador ven07 will be promoted to Senior Ambassador. ven07 has proven himself very dedicated to the platform and has helped out so many users with his spot on advice. He has also livened up discussions with great insight and welcomed humor. I'm sure many of you have seen his posts as he manages to somehow be all over the forums.

PepperdotNet will join the Ambassador Team. We are lucky to have someone of his in-depth skills and knowledge come aboard. PepperdotNet is also a member of our Developers Program and he knows his way around the Windows Platforms from the inside out. I'm sure he'll make a big impact as a Team member.

Congratulations and well wishes for these 3 outstanding members of Windows Central would be welcomed. Please post below.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
He'll still be around Windows Central, he just doesn't have the time to devote to this team.

Yep. Really hated to retire. Family needs my time more than ever, though, so just not enough time in the day. I'll be around, just not as much as I was before. Thanks for having me while I was available.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome! The duties of Ambassador look pretty daunting, I will try to keep up!

You'll do fine :) just be your cool self.. with a bit of pepper added

@Rhapdog we'll still be seeing a bit of you in the forums and chat so it's not really goodbye :grin:

@ven07 congrats :confused:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've updated the OP... and would like to announce:

• Former Senior Ambassador gpobernardo has moved on to the Moderator Team
  • Former Ambassador pankaj981 has moved on to the Moderator Team
  • Former Ambassador Ashish Gupta888 has taken retirement from the team
The whole team will miss their presence on the squad, but we look forward to still seeing them around Windows Central. Please join me in Congratulating them and wishing them the very best...

Also:
  • Chintan Gohel has signed on to be an Ambassador
  • realwarder has signed on to be an Ambassador
  • Mad Cabbie has signed on to be an Ambassador
  • charlatan1978 has signed on to be an Ambassador
I think they are strong additions to the team. Please join me in welcoming them as they start out on this new adventure...

@gpobernardo - thank you for all the excellent help to members and to me behind the scenes. I know there are more great things to come from you on WC.

@pankaj981 - you always answered when I called to help out with some tricky problems our members get into. Mods are stealing a very proficient man from the team, but it is great to see you take on a new role.

@Ashish Gupt888- I like your style. I look forward to still seeing you out there keeping the board positive.

@Chintan Gohel, @realwarder, @Mad Cabbie, @charlatan1978 - thanks for hopping onto the crazy bus. As much as you guys have helped our members and guests, I'm sure there is no doubt from anyone that we will see more excellence from each and every one of you.

party_night-wide.jpg

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations gpobernardo & pankaj981 on the move to the mod team! I know you guys will do a great job.

Ashish - thanks for your service as ambassador! It's been good to work with you!

Chintan Gohel, realwarder, Mad Cabbie, and charlatan1978 - welcome to the team! I look forward to getting to know you guys and working with you.

Cheers, all!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe I forgot... I'm so sorry. I put it in the OP, but forgot to mention it in post #17 above.

Also, TechFreak1 has moved up to Senior Ambassador!!! In the short time TechFreak1 has been an Ambassador he's gotten a lot accomplished and helped not only many members, but myself as well.

Please forgive me, my friend, for not mentioning it earlier. Too many changes for an old guy like me to keep track of. :winktongue:

I know there are great things ahead for you on Windows Central.

champagne-cheers1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3