Nokia Lumia 1020 Bugs and Defects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intrepid00

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Geo location is not saved to hires images unless you go to photos, open in Nokia camera, reframe (don't need to actually adjust), and then save. You can also turn on review after taking and do the reframe trick.

wynandvs

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 1020 also suffered from constant restarts. So I started blocking background tasks, one app at a time, but the restarts continued nevertheless. This morning however, I decided to delete an app I installed last week called MyTileMaker. Since doing so, I haven't experienced one restart or any strange behaviour from my 1020, so I'm cautiously confident that I've solved the problem. Hold thumbs!

KBEscalona

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Just today i got a problem with the shutter key. It responds to opening nokia pro cam but the two stage shutter does not function. Once you pressed it to take a shot it constantly taking shots. But if i use the touchscreen to take a picture it works fine. Does anybody experience the same problem? Is it a hardware problem? I tried doing a soft reset and it's still the same.

bradisland

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
HI, My 1020 wont allow me to turn on "Internet Sharing", also, i know of 3 numbers that it wont receive sms/text messages from. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix, its doing my head in!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
HI, My 1020 wont allow me to turn on "Internet Sharing", also, i know of 3 numbers that it wont receive sms/text messages from. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix, its doing my head in!
maybe just needs a reboot for the internet sharing.

Are the 3 people you're not getting texts from using iPhones? I ask because maybe they're trying to send you texts as "iMessages". (this was a problem for me as well since my old phone was an iPhone, and now use a windows 8 phone with the same phone number)

NatashaJ83

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I've had the phone for just under 90 days and thought it was just me until recently...
A few issues. Any advice would be appreciated.
1. Can't scan barcodes with apps (specifically myfitnesspal). It works with the Bing QR scanner, but myfitnesspal will not recognize bar code from the distance needed for focus. Have reset camera to no avail.
2. My camera gets HOT! I don't even need to use the camera. It gets hot just from using the phone.
3. The camera also vibrates when focusing and seems noisy.
are these normal things with the 1020, or should I be looking into using the warranty?
Tia!

Last edited:

lingyai

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
a) I can see no obvious way to create a new post here. I only see options to reply, reply with a quote, thank or like. Please consider something like a "Create new post" button, like one sees on countless other forums. It's surprising there is not one here.
b) I just got a camera grip for my Nokia Lumia 1020. When it is attached, the camera will not turn off. I try by following the normal process, i.e. I press the center button; slide down to power off when prompted; I then see the "goodbye" message; after which the screen goes dark for a moment, and then the phone switches itself back on. Is this normal? If not, what could be the problem? The phone? The grip? Help much appreciated.

KBEscalona

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
i think the new update is the problem. My shutter keeps on taking shots once i used it. But if i use the touchscreen interface it works well. To ensure its not a hardware problem i use Nokia care suite to use it test software all okay so i think its a software problem. My problem i have now is that my 1020 is an engineering sample. =( I can;t flash any retail roms. Does anybody knows what is PWBASSY Light swap engine rom?

dryspuri

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
is it only me or camera unit seems bit noisy, I mean if you shake the phone, there is audible click coming from camera unit, just try to hit the phone on your hand, there is audible clicky noise, is this thing normal.

cae758

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I just noticed the same issue. Have you been able to find a fix?
Hello.

1. I am hearing similar sound quality issues as @broomcorn @nighthikr24 and @dogfacedsoldier. Even the call ringer sounds off to me. At times the caller will sound slightly distant or else it will sound like the caller is blowing right into the mic. I've tried is amongst a variety of phones and am getting varying results.

2. The double tap to wake on high sensitivity was an issue until I changed it to Normal as @dogfacedsoldier recommended. Thanks! Although I'm still curious why if on High sensitivity it would not be as responsive...

Outside of those two above, I haven't hit any other major issues; I'm looking to play more with the camera today. And possibly hitting up the AT&T store to see if they can help remedy the sound issue. I'll let you all know how that goes.
Got the Yellow 1020 last Saturday. Noticed two issues with it:
1) the phone would reboot by itself for no reason
2) phone calls sounded like the person on the other end had a lisp of some sort.

Took it back to the store and AT&T first swapped out my SIM card to address the second issue and told me that a network update would fix the first one. The SIM card swap did not address the voice quality issue. Took it back yesterday and swapped it out with another phone. Phone calls already sound so much better! And no random rebooting no far! 

I did also pick up a Moshi screen protector ($25 but for some reason they were ringing up for $13 at the AT&T store). Love it so far! Doesn't interfere with the screen and doesn't look cheap like the Zagg products.
I too have this "rustling or wind" sound you speak of throughout my calls. Furthermore, when I switch to speaker phone there is a couple second delay before the person can hear me and my voice will periodically cut out on the person I am talking to for up to 15 secs. I never had this problem with my 920, though I did notice the speaker phone volume was much lower than with my 900, and remains low on my 1020 as well. I've switched back to my 920 out of frustration since resetting the phone did nothing to resolve the issue. I will likely exchange my 1020 assuming I got a bad apple.
I also have a hissing/lisp/scratching sound when using the ear peace on the phone.

Another annoyance is when typing, I'll be busting out a message super fast like I always do, for some reason it regularly missis keys "y u i o and p". I've used a 900 and a 920 and never had any problems typing fast on the phones. With this 1020, it's so annoying because of how often it happens (a couple times for every text message I send).

I'm hoping the typing issue is due to software since this happens when the screen is flipped both sides (I don't think it's the touch recognition failing).
I got the lispy static sound in the ear also. Voice quality would be great if it wasn't lispy at the end of words. Got a second phone delivered today( with the sim card tray installed backwards), and its worse than my original. Was gonna try a new sim at the store on the second phone tomorrow. If it still sucks, both are goin back in the mail. I did try a call on the display at the store and it sounded normal.
On a sidenote, has anybody managed to understand what's causing the hissing/scratchy noise from the ear piece? I'm basically going to exchange the phone in the morning unless somebody has a response XD

It's pretty annoying to say the least.
For those of you who have had issues with the earpiece (static / sounds like everyone has a lisp) while talking, there seems to only be one way to fix it: Replace the phone.
Bought the phone off contract with PlanetMobile (Rogers subsidiary, essentially) and they contacted their Nokia rep to see if it was hardware or software (patch-fixable), and it's a common hardware issue according to them.

So don't go insane hearing Daffy Duck on the other end of the line, GO EXCHANGE THE PHONE.

Side-note, now that I don't have to reformat 3 times a day going nuts thinking I can fix the issue, I'm LOVING the phone and was slightly rewarded with Glance Background <3
Count me in with all of the above regarding the video call. I just upgraded from the 920 to the 1020 Friday, November 22nd (AT&T subscriber) and calls with the earpiece speaker against my ear sound lisp-y like others have said. I ordered the phone from Amazon: Is it worth sending back? I definitely don't remember the 920 sounding this way and if it's a hardware issue because of the components Nokia used, I can live with it. But if it is a batch defect, then I'll want to replace it. Compared to other issues I've read about in this thread, I could live with it, but it's annoying. I certainly don't want to return the phone only to have to deal with another issue.
Also, what's the chances AT&T or a Microsoft store would replace the phone even though I bought it via Amazon? I'd much rather exchange at a brick & mortar than have to mail back to Amazon and await a replacement.

The topmost tiles of the home screen always default to a position a little bit down from the top of the screen. It appears to be the height of a toast notification, not just the height of the clock, etc. This is frustrating because the tiles are designed to fit on the full screen and when they default to this position there is a big unnecessary black bar at the top and the bottom row of tiles gets cut off, rather than being fully visible as intended. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a fix or workaround?
As a previous 900 and 920 and current 1020 owner, that's just the way to OS is designed. I just measured the space between the bezel and the closest tile and it's a 1/16th of an inch shy of 1/2 an inch. If you are getting the same space, then you're fine.

vanquishedagain

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
is it only me or camera unit seems bit noisy, I mean if you shake the phone, there is audible click coming from camera unit, just try to hit the phone on your hand, there is audible clicky noise, is this thing normal.

According to nokia that is the OIS (Image stabilizer) or rather the bearings within. I've had two 1020s and both made that noise when moved abruptly, it's noisy but normal.

frizodanizzo

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I feel super lucky, after reading the bugs and all other people are having with the phone. I haven't had a single issue with the 1020, it runs great. I just wish they put a larger CPU or GPU in there to render those massive photos more quickly.

Del Rei

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Just to help.. Discovered now... Sometimes, when you do a soft reset, the date and time can get messed up.

With date/time wrong, maybe you won't be able to save pictures and videos from the cameras apps. Don't ask me why.
So, if any of you get this problem, check date/time.

WillemC

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
A really important one.

Photo's i've taken yesterday don't all show up in my Camera-album.
Checking this, I've noticed more pictures aren't displayed (also from a longer while back).
Trying to add them to for instance Twitter doesn't show them aswell.
They did were in the camera-album yesterday, but now disappeared.

Connecting the 1020 to the pc and view the camera-roll, the pictures are there. So they are on my internal storage.
Opening the camera with the shutter-button, it shows the latest picture for editing (pressing the button in the top left of the screen)
This picture isn't shown in the Camera-album, untill I open it here again and pressing back again.

A soft reset didn't help, and after this, the latest picture I've added to my camera-album by the above way, is gone again.

just found an answer that worked:

Solution:
1-Update your Nokia Camera app to the latest version -go to the store and search for the app and an update will show if any- tried it with Nokia Camera ver. 4.3.0.6
2-Open the Nokia Camera App and the go to the settings.
3-At the far below it says "Find photos and videos shot with Nokia Camera This is useful after a phone reset or data restore" Click on the Link.
It will show a message at the top of the screen and when its done it will fix everything.. Horrray!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb