I've got the AT&T Nokia Lumia 1020. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
How useful is that camera strap thing they throw in? Is it large enough to be comfortable, yet small enough to not slip off?

Would you recommend using the strap even when not using the camera (I.E: So it doesn't accidentally slip out of your hand and fall)?

How good is the speaker quality? Does it have clear, loud output?

And these are just more generalized questions, but:

Any suggestions on a quality case for this thing (Don't want to be breaking a $700 phone now).

And finally, I'll be moving to this device from a Lumia 900. This will be my first Windows Phone 8 device, so any suggestions on transferring from 7.8 to 8? How can I preserve my settings and data? Will I have to lose all gaming progress?

Thanks so much for doing this, it's much appreciated!
  • Strap is very useful, not a gimmick
  • If you're prone to dropping, sure, it's a cool thing to have, I really like it
  • Speaker and audio quality is better, imo, than the 920, especially for phone calls and speaker phone
  • Re: case, will have to wait until we get some to review
  • No advice, you'll lose everything except contacts and photos (if saved to SkyDrive)

lerimer

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Daniel, How good are the apps that were introduced with the device? Apps such as flipboard... can we get a video of how it looks on a windows phone?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey Dan

Can you open more apps on the L1020 than you can on a L920, before WP is forced to unload the first one from RAM (tombstoned)?

That is the only potential benefit that extra GB of RAM might have on a WP8 device. If not, then WP's memory manager is still only seeing one GB, meaning that extra GB is reserved exclusively for use by the L1020's imaging stack.

TMaestro

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dan,
My na?ve question is that do we need to hold the phone steady during the processing time (5s), or do we only need to do so for about, e.g. one second, and then we can put move the phone while the captured image is processing?

coteganut

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Is yours fully paid off, if so, can you please call att and see if they will give you the unlock code. I called them muliple times and they all say they can unlock it right away just need the phone's imei number; but I dont have the phone yet.

d.scythe

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Million Dollar Question - Is the 'Other' still a problem?
Not so important question - Whats the price, sim free?

what "other" you mean??
seriously, cause i don't have a WP devices yet, but thinking of switching into one cause this 1020 thing...
but i still a little worried to leave the IOS ecos...

for mr daniel, i have this 2 questions...
what do you think mr daniel, can you give me reasons to jump over WP8 from IOS?

and other than that, i would like to know if there's any issues you would run out of memory, cause 32GB will not be enough for the 41MP pictures plus apps n games (i love apps n games a lot, FYI i use iphone 4s with 32GB storage and it never enough with the apps n games)...

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
what "other" you mean??
seriously, cause i don't have a WP devices yet, but thinking of switching into one cause this 1020 thing...
but i still a little worried to leave the IOS ecos...

for mr daniel, i have this 2 questions...
what do you think mr daniel, can you give me reasons to jump over WP8 from IOS?

and other than that, i would like to know if there's any issues you would run out of memory, cause 32GB will not be enough for the 41MP pictures plus apps n games (i love apps n games a lot, FYI i use iphone 4s with 32GB storage and it never enough with the apps n games)...

Other is a storage related issue, There is a temp fix for it in the form of apps, but results are varied.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
maybe i should just wait for umm, lumia 1025 maybe?
so it could have a memory card slot, and HD display plus WP 8.1?

Yes, you could do that in April 2014 or wait until November 2014 for the Lumia 1080 that has a 5.5 inch screen, AMOLED & 64 GB of storage.
or
you could wait until April 2015 for the Lumia 1120 that has.......... (a slot to print photos on 2x2 cards!) :winktongue:

fancy0479

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Interesting question. Here's how it works:

When you slide your finger up (digital zoom) on a live image and snap the photo, it saves it like that. BUT it really took the full photo and saved that as the HQ image, meaning you can literally go back and re-frame the image again and un-zoom it. Kind of neat really.

So basically you can re-frame during the shot or after, your choice.

Do you only get the last saved photo or each time you save a reframed photo you get an individual one?

Jaybotics

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi.

So I am a little confused about the saved images. When you take a photo with the Pro camera app, it saves both the high res and the oversampled 5mp image? Is their a way to save just the oversampled 5mp image for storage purposes?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon