Has anyone tried unlocking the 1020 yet?

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
So I've been waiting to see if anybody posted anything about getting their phone unlocked, and... nothing. Has anyone who purchased the phone full price tried unlocking it yet? I know some people are waiting on some unlocked AT&T devices from Negri, but I wanna know if I can go pick one of these up full price then have AT&T unlock it for me. If anyone can chime in on this that would be cool.:cool:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi PLGomez,

The 1020 is really new, and a lot of people who ordered it still haven't even received it yet.

It will probably take a little while until you'll be able to find out if anyone got the 1020 unlocked by AT&T.

sleepyrockcom

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
AT&T on both the chat and phone support refuse to unlock the device. What they're claiming is that:

1. The device is ineligible for unlock (same at the website says when you put in the 1020 IMEI).
2. That Nokia hasn't provided AT&T with the unlock codes and to contact Nokia
-(Nokia has a no unlock policy and has officially stated that AT&T has the codes).
3. Their (AT&T's) system doesn't allow them to generate an unlock code due to the device being an exclusive.

So sadly they've made sure to lock these puppies down and make sure that their agents won't provide an unlock code on accident. I'm attempting to use an unlock service now which claims to be able to generate unlock codes for the 1020 and will keep everybody posted.

I was at the Scottsdale Microsoft Store for my 1020 purchase as well and can confirm that they sell the AT&T (locked) version and at present don't have any means of unlocking the device.

Last edited:

Goodeye

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I was told at the Scottsdale Microsoft store that ATT would unlock it since I bought it outright. Here is to waiting lol

ksj1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So it appears AT&T was lying when there was a lot of "hullabaloo" regarding phone unlocking. In this blog post from March they claimed that they unlocked phones if the customer had paid for them. This was in response to all the talk about legislation to mandate that phones be unlocked. Not a word about "exclusive" phones.

sleepyrockcom

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
My hope is that the third party solution contacts me today with an unlock code (they specified a 24 hour turnaround).

I would hate to return the device because I love the look, feel, and functionality of the device. But my work uses Verizon and I'm going to the UK so my options are limited. As a minor detail, the phone will still let you access the rest of the non-network features without a sim card inserted.

sleepyrockcom

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
That is pretty crazy; I'm happy to know that so many of my WP brethren are in the valley!

I'm waiting another couple of hours to hear back from the unlock service and if not I'll be returning the device today. I figure that I'll get a decked out tablet with 4G while there as a temporary alternative (the student 10% + free office isn't bad) until an international version.

What I would realistically like to see is a pentaband international version but I don't think we're going to be quite so lucky. I'm just wondering what Nokia was thinking signing this device as an exclusive; this isn't 2007 nor the original iPhone. You would think when you're paying $699.99 + tax that you could at least use the darn thing :winktongue:

topdogg317

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I got mine unlocked through At&t customer service. I believe it all depends on who you talk to at At&t...the first time I called the rep told me I could do it myself online and gave me the website, but when I tried it, it said the phone is not elgible to be unlocked. I called back and got a different service rep, told him that I planning on going to Europe and needed it unlock so I could use a local sim card...Took about 5 minutes and he gave me the unlock code! So I would advise calling instead of using the chat service.

jlekssp

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Could you share the website which we could do the unlocking ourself? Thanks in advance.
I got mine unlocked through At&t customer service. I believe it all depends on who you talk to at At&t...the first time I called the rep told me I could do it myself online and gave me the website, but when I tried it, it said the phone is not elgible to be unlocked. I called back and got a different service rep, told him that I planning on going to Europe and needed it unlock so I could use a local sim card...Took about 5 minutes and he gave me the unlock code! So I would advise calling instead of using the chat service.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
That is pretty crazy; I'm happy to know that so many of my WP brethren are in the valley!

I'm waiting another couple of hours to hear back from the unlock service and if not I'll be returning the device today. I figure that I'll get a decked out tablet with 4G while there as a temporary alternative (the student 10% + free office isn't bad) until an international version.

What I would realistically like to see is a pentaband international version but I don't think we're going to be quite so lucky. I'm just wondering what Nokia was thinking signing this device as an exclusive; this isn't 2007 nor the original iPhone. You would think when you're paying $699.99 + tax that you could at least use the darn thing :winktongue:

Did you ever find out, I assume you returned the device.

Siddhartha Zuga

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi!, your Nokia lumia is with contract?

Ronald Urbassik

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I see 1020 unlock codes on ebay for $2.94.
I bought my phone from Amazon.com.
But I did not have to unlock it, it worked with my Consumer Cellular SIM card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duncekatie39