Best way to charge your 1020 using camera grip?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I just found out that we're able to manually turn camera grip charging on/off by holding the button until the LEDs flash. But I'm wondering what's the most efficient way to charge the main battery using the camera grip?

Should I wait till battery saver comes on then turn on camera grip? I'm not sure the camera grip has enough juice to fully charge the main battery.

Should I start charging halfway down?

Does it make a difference?

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I just bought the camera grip and I'm noticing it has a battery draw. I have been just keeping it on the phone with the battery off. Not only does my phone battery die a lot faster, but the case loses one light's worth of battery.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
WHAT THE?! My phone just went into battery saver mode and I go to turn on the battery grip and its dead. I fully charged both last night and intentionally turned off the camera grip. So I think you're right about the battery draw on the grip when off.

Well this sucks, I was quite enjoying the grip as my permanent case.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
So with the camera grip on, the phone dies faster? Doesn't seem like a good design. We may be doing something wrong here.

jeffskent

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I've had the 1020 and the camera grip since July 25, 2013. I am a day of release kind of guy. I have yet to figure out how the two devices work together. I do know that I think the camera grip and the phone together are too big and bulky. Plus, I can't figure out how to charge both devices when they are together. So what works well for me is to plug the phone into the computer and keep it fully charged every night, which is exactly what I did with all my cell phones for the last 6 years. Works well, and I can back up and transfer pictures, videos, and even apps to my computer if I wish.

I also simply plug the camera grip into a wall charger and charge it that way. I like the 4 leds because that indicates the charge state of the camera grip battery. When I first tried to charge the phone in the camera grip I wasn't sure if the phone was charged first or the grip or if it varied depending upon who knows what. I have yet to find a description of the process for charging both devices together. That's why it is easier to charge them separably and then I leave the camera grip in the car so I can use it on the road. I rarely take many pictures of my own apartment. :)

(Sounds like the blind leading the blind here) :)

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Hahaha! indeed - blind leading the blind.

What I've observed is when charged together, the phone gets charged first, then the grip. But I think when the phone battery gets up to around 90%, the charge slows to a trickle (I've read this is true for all phones) and could take a while to reach 100%. You will know when the camera grip starts charging once it starts flashing.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It works like most battery packs do. it will charge the phone till that is full and then charge the pack itself. Some packs do not let you charge it when it is connected to something.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I've just plugged the grip/phone combo in, like ninjaap said it charges the phone first then the charger. Today I kept them separate after charging (8am unplug) and with moderate/heavy phone use I'm at 53% (after 8 hours) and my unused grip is at full lights.

This isn't ideal but I guess the grip and phone need to stay in communication so that holding the shutter wakes it up. Apparently this connection draws the power.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I've just plugged the grip/phone combo in, like ninjaap said it charges the phone first then the charger. Today I kept them separate after charging (8am unplug) and with moderate/heavy phone use I'm at 53% (after 8 hours) and my unused grip is at full lights.

This isn't ideal but I guess the grip and phone need to stay in communication so that holding the shutter wakes it up. Apparently this connection draws the power.

I'm going to try one more time. I've restarted and fully charged the phone and grip earlier, and "turned off" grip charging. Phone is currently at 80%. I will check grip charge status, twice, when phone hits 50% and battery saver mode.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site

Oh I completely missed what you were stating. I suppose that could be true. It would make sense.

Jason Wright3

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I charged my phone while it's in the camera grip, my phone was at 50% when I started to charge it but when it got to 100% it still didn't charge the camera case, do the lights blink while it's charging?

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I've plugged them in to charge while connected (as in, the grip on the phone) and both have been flat and I woke up the next day and they were both fully charged. While the grip is on, the phone has the 'charging' icon on. Not sure if I could say it ran down quicker though because I was absolutely leathering it for photos. But it could have been, as I'm not fully au fait with how fast the phone should run down when taking loads of pictures and film. I know I recorded a one hour film and it more or less drained both the phone and grip. I took dozens of photos on top of that as well though!

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

If the grip is attached with its battery turned off the phone will power the grip in a standby state. Notice how there is no pin or mechanical way the shutter button on the phone is pushed? That is because the grip "talks" to the phone. This constant chatter is what drains your battery if the grip is connected but off.

vampireodbc

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
So what's the efficient way to use the grip? Fully charge both devices and then unplug the cable or turn off the grip until the 1020 ran out half of the juice?

Renaldo Matamoro

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
1) The phone charges first then the grip
2) The phone may say 100% but that doesn't mean it's 100% charged, if you use the battery app by Enless Soft it will tell you exactly when the battery is fully charged.
3) Once the battery is at 100% the grip will begin to charge, anytime you see the grip's lights go off that's because the phone's battery dropped below 100% and is being topped up by the charger however once it's back to 100% charging of the grip will resume.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goergtalk