Question? Best Nokia 1020 case

Ukyo

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious, why do most of the cases still show the 2 contact points on the bottom half of the back of the phone? Isn't that just for the wireless charging attachment/case? If you're using the case, u can't use the wireless attachment so y bother leaving it exposed? Or do I have it wrong and that's not what the 2 contact points for used for?

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Wow!! I am desperate to have a case that offers protection for the screen around the edges and with wireless charging. You seem to have solved that and then some!! Would you please share some info about this process? Do the buttons line up, earpiece, how did you drill camera hump hole, and what is the process to apply wireless charging module (I have a wireless case to scab the module)??
Your work is amazing, please share the love!!!

Wadidiz

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Thnx for the compliment. The Otterbox Commuter case for the 920 turned out to be more difficult to modify for the 1020 than I expected. The back of the 920 is curved while the 1020 is much flatter. The 1020 is also almost a mm wider. The buttons didn't line up like I had hoped. The camera & power buttons aren't in different enough positions to cause trouble. The volume button has to be pressed in the center to decrease and at the very top to increase. I used the protective plastic that came on the 1020 camera module as a template for the hole and enlarged it bit by bit using a razor saw and sandpaper around a dowel. It is not perfectly symmetrical but looks OK. I had hoped I could fit the wireless charging plate simply by cutting the clasping tabs but I eventually had to chop it down and sand it down to the bare minimum for it to fit the case. I even sanded the inside of the Otterbox to cut off micrometers. I thought the case would hold the spring-loaded contact points firmly but I had to finally use thin transparent tape to hold it in place solidly. I also had to sand down the wireless charger itself for it to cradle securely. I took away the Nokia logo with a plastic circle that stuck up. The earpiece hole was perfect but I drilled a tiny hole for a mic that was moved. I also enlarged the right side of the speaker opening since the 1020 has its speaker there. The most important thing for me was to have a tripod socket. The Otterbox case is thick and sturdy enough for a tripod socket directly in the case. I used it that way for several weeks. I then decided to attach a plastic tripod socket module that I salvaged from a thrown-away digital camera. Now I can fit tripods securely in dark environments without worrying as much about cross-threading. The mount feels much more secure now. Also glad I gained the functionality of wireless charging again. It was addictive. It would be simpler and much less time-consuming if Otterbox simply came out with a Commuter-series case and Nokia came out with a bare-bones wireless charging adapter. Or maybe Nokia should make the whole kit? I want it all, and I want it all to fit in my Levi's 505 pocket. If there's enough interest, I could post an album of pictures showing the process.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Dam impressive!! I was hoping it was easier, not at all impressed with the case selection for the 1020 thus far. Wish Nokia would at least make a case for it like the cc-1043 for the 920. I have three cases, the charging case and the camera case and none of them are working for me. I am using my moto x android instead partly because of this. I'm getting dust underneath the bottom and top screen glass and it's delaminating slightly there, really bummed about it. I would love more pics, let's see if there is more interest out here? Thanks for the info:thumbup:

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I think the nillkin is on of the best...i have capdase also...nice and slim but doesn't cover the camera,bump...tats y i,like the nillkin.sometimes i,use the wireless charging shell as the cover

Sent from my RM-875_Lumia 1020 _india_using Tapatalk

Wadidiz

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
The simplest would be for Otterbox to make a Commuter for the 1020. Even better if they made it with a little extra room for a bare-bones wireless charger adapter and with a small tripod socket molded into the case. If they didn't make the case too tight, it might work to install a cut-down charger plate by simply cutting out the silicon layer where the plate sits. I thought about buying the Nokia camera grip thingy with the extra battery and tripod socket but it would still leave me without direct wireless charging and with a hand-grip sticking out of my pocket. Too big! Might as well carry a digital camera. A one-piece protective case with tripod socket and wireless charging and still pocket-sized is an obvious product for a smartphone like the Nokia Lumia 1020. Don't understand why the big case makers haven't integrated tripod sockets into their cases for phones with huge MPs and that are screaming for a tripod. I'm now having fun with over 2 second shutter-speed night shots. I'd start making such cases and selling them myself if I had a 3D printer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital