Nokia Camera annoyed me today - a lot!

6029KingStephen

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I've had my 1020 for a month now and hardly miss my iPhone at all :) I really like the Lumia 1020, so much better for browsing, FB and photos (90% of what I do on the phone) and it attracts a lot of attention too.
During the month I've learned quite a lot about maximizing the battery life, as I've found the battery to be not quite as good as on the iPhone.
Anyway, today I learned a lesson, about what NOT to do. At 11.00 I used the phone for the first time today - I unlocked it, opened Nokia Camera, and took 5 photos (with hi-res option off, so only 5Mp jpegs saved). I then locked the phone and put it back in my pocket. At 13.00 I took it out to find battery at 10%! Unlocked the phone to find I hadn't exited the Nokia Camera app.
Very annoying, as I have the habit of just locking the phone when I reach the end of an activity, and don't always close the app I'm using. I'm trying to get better at this but it's proving a slow process!

Anyway, for the sake of your battery, don't leave Nokia Camera open in a locked phone.

Ivan Hristov

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm taking pics of my lectures using L820 and nokia camera. I have to say the app is amazing but it's eating my battery for breakfast and asks for more.

Sent from my NOKIA LUMIA 820 using Tapatalk

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
yep defo a battery drainer mate , saying that I got 188 photos and still had a little battery left earlier which was pretty good , I was thinking jeese ive killed my battery quick , counted the photos and like I say id taken near on 200 ;-)

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
This is really an OS fault, Microsoft should have made it in a way that the apps left on are automatically switched off if not in use after a certain time passes to preserve the battery.

Ivan Hristov

May 17, 2013
Visit site
yep defo a battery drainer mate , saying that I got 188 photos and still had a little battery left earlier which was pretty good , I was thinking jeese ive killed my battery quick , counted the photos and like I say id taken near on 200 ;-)

I'm turning flight mode on when taking pics on lectures now and despite that after ~150 photos the battery is dead.

Sent from my NOKIA LUMIA 820 using Tapatalk

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Yep... I feel your pain. There is a tradeoff to having a phone with this wonderful camera! Same issue was on the 808 Pureview. To change your lifestyle to not be victimized by this, you need to still throw down a few more shekels..
All Nokia brand a MUST..generic chargers are inferior and slow..
3 Nokia Brand Wall Chargers: Home/Office/Carry Bag
1 Nokia Brand Car Charger
1 Self Contained Charger W/ 2000mah battery (any good brand ok for this one)
1 Nokia Brand Camera Grip - I personally don't think the power savings is quite as good as Nokia claims, but if you have a big shoot coming up it does make a good life or death difference. Even without the battery still worth it for the tripod interface alone!

So all of these should prepare you well against running out of battery completely then being able to smoothly recover

netstatinfo

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Do you have apps running in the background? I too have the 1020 and my battery doesn't drain as quick while taking 5mb pictures and the 38mb jpgs.

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

DAIMONDY

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Ive recently got myself a 1020 and the pics are impressive.

Quick question tho, it takes two on the highest setting correct? So the link at the bottom of the picture directs you to the highest quality version of that picture?? Approx 10-12mb in size. Or am i missing something? Im sure i read on here the file size was alot bigger.

Thanks

netstatinfo

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the pro cam app will take a 5mb file and a 38mb file. The files vary in size due to color info, for example I took a shot with alot of color and detail and the file was around 15mb, remember these are jpg images so compression on these files are set to high by default and there no way of changing that, wait until RAW comes then your files will be around 40mb

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

DAIMONDY

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
So what's the difference when i click open in Nokia camera? Is it of higher quality? Finding it quite hard to always get a good shot, most of the time its fine but a few times incredibly blurred.

Also if i use the normal camera app not the pro does it take much lower quality shots?

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Yep... I feel your pain. There is a tradeoff to having a phone with this wonderful camera! Same issue was on the 808 Pureview. .......................

Yeah but on the 808 you could just carry extra batteries and swap them out when needed, its a shame Nokia has not made a way to swap out the batteries on the 1020.

Pawlee

May 2, 2013
Visit site
So what's the difference when i click open in Nokia camera? Is it of higher quality? Finding it quite hard to always get a good shot, most of the time its fine but a few times incredibly blurred.

Also if i use the normal camera app not the pro does it take much lower quality shots?
If you've taken on the dual camera mode (38/36mp + 5mp) the one in the camera roll is the 5mp picture, which you can't view at particularly high res because of the way Windows Phone handles photos and previews etc, but if you open it in Nokia Camera you then get to the full res shot that you can see a lot more detail in. The blurred pictures are possibly a result of focusing which can be a bit iffy sometimes, if you can, use manual focus.

Also it does seem that the normal camera app does take worse quality 5mp shots than the nokia camera app, I suspect this is something to do with Microsofts image processing algorithms vs Nokia's.

Last edited:

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Manual focus as in tap screen first or mainly use the camera button. Half press focus, full press for shot?

both of them will work (what you said above)

the other was suggesting something else though -- by adjusting it yourself , ie for macro shots have it as close as it will go , then bring the phone to your subject until crystal clear , the nokia camera app has a great tutorial built into it that is well worth checking out to maximise your camera useage ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes