lumia 1020 display color way off

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I recently got a Lumia 1020 and I am very disappointed with how off the colours on the display are. Pictures often look very yellow on the screen, though the same pictures look more accurate when viewed on other devices. It seems to me that a phone focused on taking pictures should have a screen that has more accurate colours.

mmohn01

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I've found that if you move the white balance setting to indoor then you don't get the yellow when taking pictures.

TheCrazySwede

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I recently got a Lumia 1020 and I am very disappointed with how off the colours on the display are. Pictures often look very yellow on the screen, though the same pictures look more accurate when viewed on other devices. It seems to me that a phone focused on taking pictures should have a screen that has more accurate colours.

I noticed this, as well, and it is my only disappointment with the phone. The Camera and the Screen (with the microphone coming in as a close third) should be this phone's priorities. Even with adjusted profiles, it still portrays a rather greenish/yellow tint. When viewed on my old iPhone 4, the images look more accurate.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
This is a problem with the Nokia's Amber algorithms! All 9xx series phones have the same problem. Notice before you snap the picture, the colors look fine on the display. After snapping the picture, the on-device processing turns the photos yellow. But when the photos are moved elsewhere, the tinge goes away. Don't worry, this is normal. It will be fixed in the Black update coming out in the next couple months. Lumia 1520 already has this issue fixed.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
It seems to me that the Lumia 1020 has 2 or 3 separate problems which all contribute to the poor image colour representation:
  1. The camera algorithms/white balance makes pictures actually too yellow (supposedly fixed in "Black" update).
  2. The display makes pictures look much more yellow than they really are (I'm not sure if this will/can be fixed).
  3. The phone/Amoled may simply have unfaithful colours (that may be impossible to fix)
Problems 2 and 3 might be the same, or perhaps the software somehow displays pictures taken with the camera especially poorly.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
It seems to me that the Lumia 1020 has 2 or 3 separate problems which all contribute to the poor image colour representation:
  1. The camera algorithms/white balance makes pictures actually too yellow (supposedly fixed in "Black" update).
  2. The display makes pictures look much more yellow than they really are (I'm not sure if this will/can be fixed).
  3. The phone/Amoled may simply have unfaithful colours (that may be impossible to fix)
Problems 2 and 3 might be the same, or perhaps the software somehow displays pictures taken with the camera especially poorly.

I think Problem 1 and 2 are kind of the same thing. On my 920, I noticed that whites were white before snapping the picture, and after snapping the pictures, they became yellow on the display. But, on my laptop, when viewing the picture in skydrive, the whites were white again! The 1020 might actually have yellow algorithms too though

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

I think the phone uses a different White balance when saving photos other than the one you see right after taking shots (don't ask me why). My solution is to set white balance manually, which forces the phone to use the correct white balance.

Lana1412

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I didn't want to make a new thread for this but i hope some of you will reply.

So this is my only problem with this phone so far. I was taking photos and editing them on my phone and realizing they looked just right on my phone but the minute i downloaded them onto my computer the saturation and temp was waaayyy off, very dull and nothing like the photos on the phone. So I changed my phones color profile and set it to the lowest saturation and temp i could. That made the photos I viewed on the phone match a little better with the ones i sent to my computer and other devices, but the problem with this is it leaves the screen and live tiles looking super cold and dull too. Know what I mean? I want to be able to have the bright and colorful screens and live tiles but be able to view, edit and take my photos with a different, more balanced color profile. The only answer I see now is having to constantly switch my phones color profile to bright and colorful when im not messing with pictures, and then to super dull and cold when i want to take a picture and edit it. This just sucks. If i do things this way it also means that the photos I edit with the screen dull and cold will look horrendous when i switch the screen back to bright and colorful. So if i want to show people the photos on my phone i'll have to switch the color profile back to dull and cold. My question is if there is any way around this? I thought this phone would allow me to take color correct photos and do whatever editing i wanted in phone and send the pictures off to my computer or post them on social media without the colors being so off. I dont understand why they didnt consider this before selling the phone as a super camera phone. I should be able to click on my photos, camera, or photo editing apps and have the screen automatically calibrate itself from super bright and colorful to a more reasonable temp and saturation proper for taking, viewing, and editing the photos. Or at the very least have the screens color profile be balanced enough that everything i view on my phone is fairly accurate in color and photos look the same on my computer and other devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon