Battery drain like no other

spoonm

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I found that turning your volume down helped alot, auto brightness magically gets better life than medium, idk, double tap to wale is a killer, and i would suggest completely discharging your battery 3 times and never let your phone charge after it hits 100% no longer than half hour, the lithium ion battery is melting the cellular wall around the power supply, can also cause internal damage if severely prolonged, my phone eventually stopped overheating fter doing plenty of steps and tests

I already uninstalled the battery app. It didn't get any better. Volume down? I let the phone vibrate only, plus I don't get called often(once in two weeks if at all) and I'm not listening to music on it at all, now. The phone heats up when charging, but it cools down once it's 100% charged, so I wouldn't say it's charging after it hits 100%. Brightness is ALWAYS in Low. Double Tap to wake is disable, along with Glance. LTE is off, I set it to use 3G only, but I turn data off when I'm not using it(usually for 2 hours if at all). WhatsApp and Kik are the only apps running in the background, and I tried testing the battery after uninstalling both and doing a Soft Reset, which led to no improvements on battery life at all.

I still haven't gone to the Nokia store here in Fortaleza because I don't have a car and it's a bit far from where I live. Once I get to it, I might get a replacement for the screen has scratches(some say it's the oleophobic coating, okay) and has an actual scratch on the corner of the glass covering the display. I'm talking to Nokia Support over Twitter(why Twitter, really?) and so far I guess they'll say the problem is how I'm using the phone. I bet I won't get anything out of them, so I may end up returning the phone and buying another one in another store.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
if your facing that sort of battery drain something is really wrong , try installing a battery monitor app and setting it to warn you when your facing 10% battery drain an hour or something , when using your phone this can obviously be normal but if it starts warning you when it is not in use in your pocket then reboot the phone and this should terminate any processes that might have got stuck in the background

I wont list all the battery saving tips as they are pretty basic and documented all over the forums however I will say that my 920 used to get red hot in my pocket and I have had battery drain on the 1020 mainly after using the camera or the maps app (both in built apps that could cause problems even on a clean phone) and I find a reboot seems to clear the process that is draining my battery , its as if the cpu gets stuck or an app is keeping the phone awake sometimes , a decent battery app will let you set warnings when battery drain is in place and let you reboot quickly , not an ideal solution but I have had this on other phones too from android and Symbian , maybe a multi tasking problem??

Strangis

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
If your battery is running out that fast, I'd say there's definitely something wrong, because it doesn't reflect my experience at all.

I have everything on, including 4 email acts (2 as they arrive, 2 every half hour), WhatsApp, Kik, Skype, FB beta, LTE on WiFi on, BT on etc. The only thing I DON'T use is the Glance screen. I don't use a battery to monitor fully, just to occasionally 'ping' current level (I find battery monitors are ironically bad for battery life).

Here's where my 1020 is at after an 'average' day... today...

2.5 hours of podcasts
47 minutes of phone calls
16photos
40 sent SMS (including 3 MMS)
50+ received SMS (including 7 MMS)
About 10 minutes of YouTube viewing
Unknown number of websites (guessing just over 20)
17 minutes of Skype (on WiFi)
19 photos
10 minutes in Here Maps to get some public transit info
a bunch of FB, email and websurfing, as well as about 40 minutes of light gaming (Word Tangle, kinda like Wordament) while on break.
I also use Lockmix and Bing wallpapers for my lock screen.

Battery is at 54%, and it's been off charger since 7:30 am (almost 14 hours)

When I first got my phone, it took a couple of days/cycles to get to 'normal', but as been rock solid since (well over a month now).

Definitely exchange the device, because it sounds like you have a bad battery.

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
@Strangis - Are you in a very good cell coverage area and is your WiFi reception always very strong?

Through my history of Nokia devices, I have definitely found that since they started using Qualcomm chipsets, the battery life has been terrible in low reception areas. Here's my history and what I've noticed:

Nokia E71 - ARM11 Freescale - Excellent battery
Nokia N8 - ARM11 Samsung - Excellent battery
Nokia 808 - ARM11 Unknown/Suspect: Qualcomm - Poor battery in low reception / 3G connectivity issues
Nokia 920 (and many subsequent replacements) - ARM11 Qualcomm - Poor battery in low reception areas / acceptable otherwise
Nokia 1020 - ARM11 Qualcomm - Poor battery in low reception areas / pretty good otherwise

EDIT: Also, before my Nokia devices, I had:

Motorola V600 - Unknown Processor - Great battery, bad sample given time period/functionality
HTC StarTrek - TI OMAP - Great battery, but 2G phone, so another bad sample
Samsung BlackJack II - TI OMAP - Decent battery, but 3G killed it (the phone came with a "Qualcomm 3G" sticker on it, but unknown details)

I read an article recently about how phone chipsets have very poor programming and often have a ton of bugs. I think that article may have primarily been studying Qualcomm chipsets. Keeping in mind the history of Nokia and Qualcomm networks, since Nokia started seriously entering the USA market, it only makes sense that they started using Qualcomm chipsets around the time they started using Windows Phone. And that also makes sense for why these issues started around the 808/920 (808 was released around the time of the first WP7 Nokia device).

This is all speculation on my part, but it makes a lot of sense to me. Conspiracy? Maybe...

Last edited:

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah devices tend to boost their chips when cell reception is terrible to try and compensate, which in turn may consume more power....

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I bet the OS itself is having some serious battery draining issues. I once tried to turn on airplane, reboot phone, turn off airplane and it seems to solve the issue. However, I find that the battery info is also have weird problems. It was reporting 90%, and after I reboot, it is reporting 100%, which should be the correct one. Somehow or rather, I think WP8 GDR2 is having some serious battery issues.

Commander Fresh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Lumia Black is the GDR3 update (technically) its the bitter/sweet update.
Black and GDR3 are most certainly different updates. The fact that one is pushed for all devices and the other is pushed for Nokia devices should be enough proof. Their change logs do not match up either. They're different updates meant to address different problems.

reconrevelations

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Black and GDR3 are most certainly different updates. The fact that one is pushed for all devices and the other is pushed for Nokia devices should be enough proof. Their change logs do not match up either. They're different updates meant to address different problems.

The GDR3 is brought to nokia devices with the lumia black update, although they may be different solutions GDR3 is certainly coming with the lumia black update to the lumia devices, like the 1020 for example, and i quite love how wherever i go you are so good at finding a way to argue with me...

Commander Fresh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
The GDR3 is brought to nokia devices with the lumia black update, although they may be different solutions GDR3 is certainly coming with the lumia black update to the lumia devices, like the 1020 for example, and i quite love how wherever i go you are so good at finding a way to argue with me...
You seem to be under the mindset that they're the same updates just because they have the same release timeframe. This isn't the case, both updates are being developed by separate parties with different degrees of availability, they have different names to differentiate them, one is already released to most of the public in a reliably working state while the other one isn't. With that in mind, I'm willing to bet that the development schedule for each update is not even remotely similar, other than the release date. The list can go on.

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Here is my ultimate settings to improve battery.

Reset/reformat the phone
Uninstall all the bloatwares (Angry bird roost, Nokia drive, Nokia here lens, Nokia Maps, CNN, ESPN Hub, Nokia Smart Cam, Smart Shoot, App Highlights, Transfer my data, Nokia Care, Weather App, Facebook, Twitter) ETC. Until you cannot uninstall anymore apps
Then go to settings
Turned off vibrate, uncheck Key Press, and lock and unlock on Sound settings.
Choose dark theme
Set lock screen to 30 seconds
Uncheck "Notify me when new networks are found" in wifi settings
Turned off bluetooth
Turned off tap+send
Turned off Data connection and set the highest connection speed to 2G
Turned off Location
Turned off all the backup settings (auto upload)
Set brightness to Low
Set touch sensitivity to Normal
Turned off Glance
Tuned off Connect with Xbox
Now install only "necessary apps" that you only use.
Then disable or blocked all the background task
Do not fully drain your battery by the way.

Enjoy!

Commander Fresh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site

Reset/reformat the phone
Uninstall all the bloatwares (Angry bird roost, Nokia drive, Nokia here lens, Nokia Maps, CNN, ESPN Hub, Nokia Smart Cam, Smart Shoot, App Highlights, Transfer my data, Nokia Care, Weather App, Facebook, Twitter) ETC. Until you cannot uninstall anymore apps
Then go to settings
Choose dark theme
Turned off bluetooth
Turned off tap+send
Turned off Location
Set brightness to Low
Turned off Glance

Enjoy!

While what you've said will most certainly increase battery performance, your "workaround" is not a very practical one. You've essentially removed every feature that makes Windows Phone stand out and a smartphone OS. Even if somebody does only install "necessary apps", it's still not a satisfactory solution for most, because sometimes, people want to play a game or go on twitter or do anything that requires an app that is not "necessary", as you put it. Following a few steps at most would be a plausible solution, but following every single instruction that you've posted isn't realistic.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Reset/reformat the phone
Then go to settings
Choose dark theme
Turned off bluetooth
Turned off tap+send
Turned off Location
Set brightness to Low
Turned off Glance

Enjoy!

Just get a conventional old phone then. All these don'ts are impractical for having a smart phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes