Case opened to unlock AT&T Lumia 1020... what are the chances i get the code?

GameOver69

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

i received a Nokia Lumia 1020 locked to the AT&T network. I bought it as a Christmas gift for my wife... she loves her Rogers Lumia 920, and i thought she would love the much better camera.

We are on T-Mobile, so obviously i need this unlocked. I bought the device brand new from ebay.

I have heard of all the struggles, but also of some sucess stories of unlocking this beautiful phone.

I tried to unlock the phone online on at&t's website, and said that this device is not eligible to be unlocked.

I called AT&T and they said the same thing. I told thtem that i boguht it at full price, and demanded it be unlocked. So they opened a case for me.

Anyone have luck once a case is opened with AT&T to unlock this phone? I dont think the phone was ever activated on their network, but cannot say that it was bought at full price from the original owner. I was once an AT&T customer, and my account was closed in good standing, 0 balance. So that may help.

What are your thoughts? Think i can get this done this way? if i get denied, can i keep trying with them, or maybe ask to speak to a supervisor or above?

Appreciate any input.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I paid the full $700 for mine when it was first offered and it was nothing to get ATT Customer Service to Unlock for me.

A few here have tried to pay the contract price AND get it unlocked and I don't know of one that has been successful.

I think it depends on what your seller paid AT&T for it. If they didn't pay full price, I don't think this is going to happen. You might want to return this ASAP and shell out for the full price either from MS Store or AT&T.. or you can get an unlocked phone from Negri and my understanding is they are now offering the unlocked Rogers - which is even more friendly with T-Mobile than mine is. The difference you will notice - ATT Unlocked: if you are in a major area that has been refarmed, your phone will pick up LTE! If you are not, you are stuck with Edge. Rogers Unlocked: Any area of T-Mobile will give you the strongest signal: Edge, 3G, 4G, LTE.
I don't know if the Rogers will be Internet Sharing ready - on my ATT I had just about given up until someone broke the code with using a foreign SIM (I bought an O2 chip from someone in the UK off eBay) but Rogers might be easier.
Also, you definitely won't have access to DataSense on ATT Unlocked; again, I am not sure if Rogers Unlocked will have it.

Good luck..

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I would return it. The Rogers or Telus 1020 is pentaband and will work with T Mobile LTE. Also super easy to unlock online.

GameOver69

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
well besides NEGRI ELECTRONICS... where can i buy the phone? I am in the US.... and its backordered and said to POSSIBLY ship out in the next few weeks.... also its over 200 bucks more than what i paid for the AT&T one.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
This is what you need to do.

Obtain a friend/family/cousin/brother/sister/friend of friend/neighbor/onlinepeepswhatever

that have ATT. Have them insert their sim into the Lumia 1520. Call ATT and say " I am going out of the country and will need an unlock code so that I can use my phone while I travel"

The ATT representative will follow protocol blah blah blah social security address, blah blah and then ask for the IMEI number after all this. The phone is in phase 1 of unlock. Phase 2 will be you inserting your t-mobile sim into the phone and then boot up the phone and follow the on screen instruction which will be to insert the unlock code.

Remember it is illegal to unlock your phone yourself or pay for someone to unlock your phone and they can kill your phone.

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
UNLOCK CODE, A NOVEL

Nokia repair is a mess. They couldn't fix the phone I sent to them at the repair place in Texas. It was a NEW Lumia 1020, unlocked. I told them that from day one when they sent me the RMA. Told them how important it was that I they do not lock my Nokia. I have a TMobile account. Nokia sent me an email that said "Your phone is "defective" and we are sending you another." I called right away and reminded them, "Make sure you don't send me a locked phone. I sent you an unlocked phone and I expect an unlocked phone in return." They said "Do not worry. No problem." Could they possibly be that stupid? Or do they not listen? They sent me a phone LOCKED TO AT&T.

I asked "Why can't you, Nokia, give me the unlock code?" They said they don't have unlock codes. They said "Nokia sends their phones UNLOCKED to AT&T and AT&T locks the phone to their network." So I said "AT&T didn't send me this phone, it came from Nokia and if what you are telling me is true, that the phones are not locked by Nokia, you should have an unlocked phone to send to me."

That was 3 weeks ago I think. I have talked to everyone. A half dozen supervisors at AT&T and several at Nokia. I chatted with to Nokia USA on Facebook. Nokia UK on Facebook. Nokia US and UK on Twitter. I have been promised over and over that they are going to "escalate" my case and get it resolved. Called again this morning since nobody called back since they escalated my case 3 weeks ago. This morning they were going to escalate my case again and I would get a call back today, FOR SURE, because they are closed over the weekend. That is the second or third time my case has been escalated. Nobody called me back. AGAIN.

Tonight I called Nokia and got a male rep this time at Nokia support. He acted like he felt my pain and was actually going to help. He told me that AT&T is "obligated" to unlock my phone being I paid full price and don't have an AT&T account. He said that I should call AT&T. He said "don't even bother asking for a supervisor." He said "Tell them to call Nokia on a 3 way because they are OBLIGATED to give you an unlock for your phone." I asked him to please call AT&T and get the 3 way started. He said "No, AT&T needs to call them." Said he has no way of doing a 3 way from his office. I am guessing he is NOT in America. I told him this is going to turn out bad, that something will go wrong. He assured me that if I do what he says I will get the unlock code.

Sounds good so far, right??

I am on hold right now as I am typing this .. the AT&T person is calling Nokia to arrange the 3 way. It has been 27 minutes and I am still waiting. I am hopeful but should I be??

I never took even one picture with my $700 paper weight.

33 minutes now on hold when AT&T comes back to the phone and asks for my IMEA number. She was having problems getting a 3 way going. Sounds good, yes? She came back to the phone every few minutes saying she was still talking to Nokia etc....

I have been waiting for 1 hr 17 minutes when she returns & says "The rep I spoke to at Nokia told said I sent them a phone that was locked to AT&T and that is why they sent me a replacement locked to AT&T." WHAT A JERK HE IS ... If he looked into my case he would see that I sent them an unlocked phone. My purchase paperwork says it is unlocked. The AT&T rep said she can't see unlock codes on her computer, that part is greyed out and she can't click unlock. She wrote a novel like I am writing saying everything that I am saying and is escalating my unlock request to HER supervisor. She believes that I had an unlocked phone and feels sorry for the run around I have been getting from Nokia and "the unlock department will be getting back to me on or about December 23rd. Have a Merry Christmas !!!!"

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
All the more reason why you need to just bite the bullet and wait for Negri's backordered Rogers unit and shell out the $700.

Avoiding the headache will be worth it!

spectre51

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Just keep trying with them if this rep says it can't be done. Had this issue with my Xperia TL which was bought off contract (actually never bought given to me from a friend at Sony). I used it for a while on their service then when I got a new phone wanted it unlocked. The unlock device website said it couldn't be unlocked. Talked to four different reps on the phone and through chat and opened two tickets. The first ticket they closed and said it was resolved but never gave me a code and said oh yeah someone will call you with the code......finally got a rep that knew wtf he was talking about and he opened a ticket and I got my code the next day. Just keep at it.

Sent from my Sony Xperia? Z Ultra

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Finally heard from AT&T .. Didn't have to wait until Christmas for them to decide whether or not to give me the unlock code. She was willing to give me the unlock code but the IMEI is NOT in her database. She says she doesn't know what carrier the phone is locked to .. just knows it is NOT AT&T .. . What I have is a Nokia Lumia 1020 with AT&T software that doesn't want to connect to T-Mobile ... Every time I turn it on it asks me to get an unlock code, but doesn't say from what company.

ALSO: Was just talking to my carrier, T-Mobile. Tech support says that they don't have unlocked codes but what they do have is a database of IMEI numbers that tells them if a phone is LOCKED or NOT .. My IMEI number is not locked according to any database but when I turn it on is tells me to enter the the unlock code. The curious thing is when it searches for networks tech support says it should only find AT&T if it is locked to AT&T and yet it gives me the choice of selecting AT&T, MetroPCS or T-Mobile.

Last edited:

Victor Tribal

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
The best way is to buy the international version named RM875,AT+T version is RM877.International version is unlocked from the factory(never locked),an easier way to tell is when phone is powered up AT+T logo will show on it,s version,also logo is on top left of housing.International version Windows Phone logo will show on power up.Also i was told by store i bought mine from the AT+T version even unlocked will still have their software which disables some functions,2 i was told are wireless charging and problem with transfering music to phone and using music you put in as ringtones.I bought mine in Costa Rica for 300,000 colones approx $600 which is just slkightly more than the $549 Microsoft store wants for it locked to AT+T and the rep tried to avoid the topic everytime i mentioned unlocking it to use T-Mobile,Canada or Costa Rica sim card so i just walked out.You can buy one(international version) on ebay or Amazon but i wanted to see product before i put out that kind of money so i opted to buy from a friend that has electronics store.

PS: AT+T is just greedy for money,that,s why everyone on this forum is given runaround on unlock codes,somehow they got the grip on codes on Lumia 1020,i heard there,s no problem with unlocking low end phones!I,m so glad the US govt stopped the attempted merger /buyout between ATT+T,T-Mobile!

Last edited:

GameOver69

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well got an email from AT&T today... was denied the unlock code.

Called them up, and they told me the reason was because it was bought for a different account, and would need that user to request the code.

i contacted the seller.... hopefully he will help.. if not, im selling it..

i already put in for the backordered Rogers 1020 from NEGRI... my wife better get on her knees for the work and the dough im putting in for her christmas present! haha

squall_234

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Finally heard from AT&T .. Didn't have to wait until Christmas for them to decide whether or not to give me the unlock code. She was willing to give me the unlock code but the IMEI is NOT in her database. She says she doesn't know what carrier the phone is locked to .. just knows it is NOT AT&T .. . What I have is a Nokia Lumia 1020 with AT&T software that doesn't want to connect to T-Mobile ... Every time I turn it on it asks me to get an unlock code, but doesn't say from what company.

ALSO: Was just talking to my carrier, T-Mobile. Tech support says that they don't have unlocked codes but what they do have is a database of IMEI numbers that tells them if a phone is LOCKED or NOT .. My IMEI number is not locked according to any database but when I turn it on is tells me to enter the the unlock code. The curious thing is when it searches for networks tech support says it should only find AT&T if it is locked to AT&T and yet it gives me the choice of selecting AT&T, MetroPCS or T-Mobile.
The same with my phone, i have a long thread about this. Some Nokia Lumia phone is locked to AT&T but they don't have the unlock code in their data base. You have to start a case for them to create it. it takes about more than a week. I have done this with Lumia 900, Lumia 920 but haven't succeeded with Lumia 1020. Mine has sit in my locker ever since.

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Last night I had Nokia and some WITCH at AT&T on the phone doing a 3 way conversation. Nokia explained how they screwed me up by replacing my phone with a locked phone and AT&T replied basically saying .. "sucks to be you Diane. you do not have an account with AT&T so we won't be doing JACK for you." I said "This is a perfect example of why I would NEVER EVER EVER be an AT&T customer." Listed my phone for $300 less than I paid for it and sold it this morning. So my story has an end finally. Now I don't know if I am going to buy a Nokia again .. I have no interest at all in the 1020. It sounded like a great idea when it was newly released but now it is old news. I don't know about the 1520 .. I am so angry with Nokia.

Victor Tribal

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Last night I had Nokia and some WITCH at AT&T on the phone doing a 3 way conversation. Nokia explained how they screwed me up by replacing my phone with a locked phone and AT&T replied basically saying .. "sucks to be you Diane. you do not have an account with AT&T so we won't be doing JACK for you." I said "This is a perfect example of why I would NEVER EVER EVER be an AT&T customer." Listed my phone for $300 less than I paid for it and sold it this morning. So my story has an end finally. Now I don't know if I am going to buy a Nokia again .. I have no interest at all in the 1020. It sounded like a great idea when it was newly released but now it is old news. I don't know about the 1520 .. I am so angry with Nokia.

Just buy an unlocked one from Amazon-brand new between $650-$700

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
That is EXACTLY what I did. Problem happened that it was defective and where I should have returned it to Amazon, I sent it to Nokia for repair. They sent me a locked one to replace it. Nokia says the only phones they have in the USA are locked...

Victor Tribal

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
That is EXACTLY what I did. Problem happened that it was defective and where I should have returned it to Amazon, I sent it to Nokia for repair. They sent me a locked one to replace it. Nokia says the only phones they have in the USA are locked...

Unless you can find a place that can unlock it,try to sell it to someone that uses AT+T and buy another one and be sure to return to Amazon if defective.I bought my 1020 in Costa Rica and i travel there often so the store i bought it is where it,ll go if any problems with it,right now phone is perfect,awesome.By the way ebay also has new unlocked 1020,s,only reason i got mine in Costa Rica is i know the owner of the store and he also said an unlocked US,AT+T version has disabled features,mentioned wireless charging and problem making your own ringtones and transfering music from laptop as examples and even unlocking will not eliminate.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

i received a Nokia Lumia 1020 locked to the AT&T network. I bought it as a Christmas gift for my wife... she loves her Rogers Lumia 920, and i thought she would love the much better camera.

We are on T-Mobile, so obviously i need this unlocked. I bought the device brand new from ebay.

I have heard of all the struggles, but also of some sucess stories of unlocking this beautiful phone.

I tried to unlock the phone online on at&t's website, and said that this device is not eligible to be unlocked.

I called AT&T and they said the same thing. I told thtem that i boguht it at full price, and demanded it be unlocked. So they opened a case for me.

Anyone have luck once a case is opened with AT&T to unlock this phone? I dont think the phone was ever activated on their network, but cannot say that it was bought at full price from the original owner. I was once an AT&T customer, and my account was closed in good standing, 0 balance. So that may help.

What are your thoughts? Think i can get this done this way? if i get denied, can i keep trying with them, or maybe ask to speak to a supervisor or above?

Appreciate any input.

TO answer your questions straight, only AT&T will decide if you get the code, and yes they can be nasty at times :(.
Use your old account as a reference.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Lol @ the witch word...

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah,''witch...'' trying to clean up my vocabulary a little. my brother says, ''do you kiss mom with that mouth.''

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes