iPhone 5S beats 1020 in flash photography ����??

anon(5650876)

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
My friend has an iPhone 5S. I've a Lumia 1020. We both took photo in a dark room with ZERO lighting, using the flash (LED for iPhone, Xenon for 1020).

iPhone 5S photos were visibly significantly brighter than 1020.
The 1020 photos were very darker even with a powerful Xenon flash.��

**captured in full Auto settings **

Colors were more natural for 5S than the saturated 1020.

Please explain.

Last edited by a moderator:

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: iPhone 5S beats 1020 in low light photography 😐😁??

My friend has an iPhone 5S. I've a Lumia 1020. We both took photo in a dark room with ZERO lighting, using the flash (LED for iPhone, Xenon for 1020).

The 1020 photos were very darker even with a powerful Xenon flash.

Please explain.

That's probably because of the dual color LED flash. It can create up to 1001 colors, and it automatically chooses what color it makes.

Slater_GS

May 14, 2013
Visit site

I think this thread should be "low light FLASH photography".
1020 hands down when no flash is used and I am going with boovish as to why the 5s would seem to perform/look better with the flash on.

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

The iPhone is designed to be used by morons hence the AUTO settings on the camera being superior to the 1020's AUTO settings, as the 1020 tries to push you towards using manual settings... at least that is the best explanation I can come up with.

The thing I would ask you is, which closely replicated the ACTUAL scene? Do you have the ISO information for each photo? Normally flash photography gives you a scene with washed out colours and is actually far brighter than the scene in real life.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

I am surprised that the LED on the iPhone 5s can hang with the 1020... I would love to put it up against my 808

TheCrazySwede

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

The 1020 photos were very darker even with a powerful Xenon flash.��

Please explain.

Can you please post the two comparison photos?
It is possible that the iPhone shot with a longer shutter speed. The 1020 may have lowered the shutter speed to preserve quality and to prevent the picture from over-exposure to the powerful Xenon flash. Also, do remember to adjust your color profile in your 1020 if photos are too saturated.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site

Just checked... The Iphone 5S takes MUCH worse pictures in dark settings than the 1020 does... Just a simple user-error.

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site

Lumia 1020 takes pretty average pictures under auto settings. The beauty of the iPhone is that it takes great pictures without giving any manual control. To make full use of the Lumia 1020, you gotta get down and dirty with the manual controls.

anon(5650876)

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

Lumia 1020 takes pretty average pictures under auto settings. The beauty of the iPhone is that it takes great pictures without giving any manual control. To make full use of the Lumia 1020, you gotta get down and dirty with the manual controls.

I'll have to learn manual settings. I've 1020 since only 10 days. Then I'll compare once again.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I can't really agree with that. In good lighting the auto mode is sufficient in almost every situation except special cases like close-up where you may need manual focusing, or if you need to correct the white balance (for the most part, this has been rectified in the Black update).

Of course with lowlight the shutter speed becomes more important. The auto mode tends to choose a faster shutter to prevent motion blur, but due to the OIS I'm usually comfortable with a slower shutter.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

One more reason why the 1020 may be perceived to be more difficult to use is that the sensor size being far bigger means that it has a shallower depth of field, and it is more important to have the correct focus point. This can be more important in lowlight but that's because of the 1020's superior optics, rather than a weakness.

Crasstoe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

i happen to have both those phones, so here's a comparison, full auto, flash/no flash, iPhone 5s, Lumia pro cam (5mpx) and WP stock cam (5mpx)
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_wsN0PxaDOpejFhX2sxV1FPLUU&usp=sharing

Looking at those the only reason the iPhones photo may look better is the wood isn't as washed out, but to be honest you could use ANY SLR that close and the Xenon flash would wipe out the colour. If you were a tiny bit further away you wouldn't get as much reflection off the wood and the colours would be more pleasing.

Demonchld

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site

Lmao iPhone does not even come close I have a 5s and the Lumina iPhone is no where near it

Also use manual mode auto is for iPhones make use of what Nokia gave u

Demonchld

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: iPhone 5S beats 1020 in low light photography ����??

z1ka.jpg

Not even close lol try taking that on a iPhone
I have a 5s ill try and do a comparison in low light tmrw

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes