07-09-2014 07:00 AM
30 12
tools
    What's the favorite news reader for reading RSS and news from various sources.
    Used to use magnify beta since I dev charges for the app , not sure how does it is compared to nextgen or wave . Have no issues paying for the app just don't want two apps for the same purpose.
    07-01-2014 09:42 AM
    Nextgen Reader.
    07-01-2014 10:14 AM
    I've used Magnify when I'm at Wi-Fi. And nextgen reader when I'm at cellular. I like magnify better, but it's slower and use a lot of data.
    07-01-2014 10:37 AM
    I've switched between Phonly and NextGen most often as they seem to be the most feature complete and best designed. Phonly has more emphasis on looking good with a smooth interface while NextGen goes for full-functionality with minimalist, "Modern UI", designs.

I'm going to try Magnify again, but most other readers I've just not liked the interface. Also, Feedly integration is required for me.

Edit: Uninstalled Magnify. Too clunky for me. Also, as a forewarning, unpinning in magnify = unsubscribe. And it sync back to Feedly the un-subscription. Accidentally deleted a ton of feeds and had to restore from a backup.
    Last edited by thelostsoul; 07-01-2014 at 11:00 AM.
    07-01-2014 10:47 AM
    I use the Nextgen reader myself. After trying out a number of apps I found it to be the best for me. It really depends on your use case.
    Sent from my 1020 using Tapatalk
    RobHalligan likes this.
    07-01-2014 11:26 AM
    Use case is to use one app to pull/view news ,rss from various sources like Flipboard instead of me opening CNET , Engadget all .

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    07-01-2014 07:19 PM
    This is kind of an unorthodox suggestion, but the inoreader.com mobile site works nicely in IE. With it you can keep in sync with the reading you do on other devices too. It can use readability.com to show you the full text of the article for feeds that only send a snippet, which is really handy.
    RobHalligan likes this.
    07-01-2014 09:47 PM
    Bing news - yep, includes an RSS reader capability so you can add your own news sources.
    07-02-2014 02:53 PM
    News Live Tiles - an universal app that creates the most beautiful live tiles!
    07-02-2014 02:53 PM
    I recommend giving Feed Me a try! It serves as a stand alone for those of us without a Google account. It also syncs with Feedly and NewsBlur for the majority. I've yet to find another RSS with as many features and customization options, it's quite incredible! feed me | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    07-02-2014 02:58 PM
    Metroblur which works with NewsBlur, a fantastic web-based RSS engine.
    07-02-2014 02:59 PM
    try RSS Central buy it for Windows Phone and use it in Windows 8/RT too!!
    07-02-2014 03:10 PM
    Please excuse the plug, but you guys might like to take a look at my RSS reader app, RSS Central, which currently has an average 4.5 stars over many hundreds of reviews. It's fast, packed with features, supports feed searches, import and export via OneDrive and Dropbox in .opml format, is translated into 12 languages (for the WP version), is a universal Windows Phone/Windows 8 app, and comes with a fully-featured trial mode so you can evaluate everything without needing to pay.

Sounds worth a try? RSS Central can be found here: RSS Central | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    rsscentralqc.png
    I hope you like it! :)
    07-02-2014 03:14 PM
    Quick question, Adam: Does your RSS app require a Google account to sync?
    This is the #1 reason I've avoided most of the RSS/Newsreader apps. I don't want to establish yet another account for just one need. For some reason, most of the popular RSS readers don't support authentication with a Microsoft account.
    07-02-2014 03:27 PM
    Modern Reader for me. It works with feedly, so I can sync it with the cloud. And I just want to read the news headlines. So I don't want all those images and unused space. Just a list of my feeds so I can see if there's something new, and a list of articles when I tap the feed name. Just perfect for me :-) Available for Windows Phone and Windows 8
    07-02-2014 03:27 PM
    NextGen with Feedly
    07-02-2014 03:28 PM
    @SpunkForRobots: no, you don't need any accounts at all, just install the app, hit "refresh" and you'll be reading the news.
    07-02-2014 03:34 PM
    Nextgen Reader (Feedly) for me!
    07-02-2014 03:37 PM
    Flux! If you care about data, it has the best offline availability out of all of them. Shout out to the D!
    Edit: D being developer of course
    07-02-2014 04:32 PM
    If you wish, you could try my app, Feedsea. It's currently a closed beta, but anyone can join.
    It's a Feedly client and you can use Facebook, Google, Twitter, Microsoft and Evernote to login as Feedly currently supports all of them.
    Home - Feedsea
    07-02-2014 04:58 PM
    I use nextgen. magnify is a beautiful one but it lacks some functions
    07-02-2014 08:07 PM
    Check out the Comma Feed service (www.commafeed.com). It's a Google Reader clone that doesn't require a Google account to use (seems rare these days).

There is a Windows Phone client called KarmaFeed (KarmaFeed | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States), which is great. It might be a bit on the basic side, functionality-wise, but it has all the features I need and a simple but nice design.)
    07-03-2014 12:43 AM
    I have tested them all and bought quite a few as you can see below

wp_ss_20140703_0001.jpg

My rating is as follows
    1st - Nextgen: It has everything i need EXCEPT the OPML import but i have solved that from Feedly desktop. It's quick, reasonably customizable and really has all what i have been ranting about all the others.
    2nd - Flux: i like it despite its dev being slow with updates and not keeping up with promises. Anyway it has bugs with read content (keeps showing even if it should disappear) and has another few flaws that make it unusable in MRT etc.
    3rd - Weaver: I like the UI. Unfortunately adding threads one by one without any chance to import OPML and the fact it keeps crashing while organizing feeds makes me use it less than i would like to
    4th - I am with Fuse. It has that Pulse feeling that i love. However again organizing feeds is a mess and lacks things i need.
    5th - Collector. It's a gorgeous concept but it's incomplete and with rare updates.

I have tried literally all others too and, to me (it means for my needs), none worked. One is boring, another is buggy, another one is lacking key functions etc. What i use mostly is Nextgen (bought it after extensive testing).
    07-03-2014 01:05 AM
    my favourite(and only) newsreader is The Fifth. It is available for Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 8.1. The feeds/subscriptions sync between all devices. They are located at

The Fifth app for Windows in the Windows Store. (windows8 store)

The Fifth | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) (windows phone store)
    07-03-2014 02:10 AM
    I have tried Nextgen and Feedly. I find both are quite good readers. So I've had to choose one and decided for Nextgen Reader.
    07-03-2014 09:47 AM
30 12