Best WM10 RSS Readers?

copmcotcs

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Best WM10 RSS Readers

Hi Windows Central,

I use my phone (L1520 since release) heavily for reading. Though I use tons of news applications, one of the ways I keep track of a variety of sources is RSS Feeds. Currently, I use NextGen Reader which uses a Feedly backend. This is easily the most used application on my phone. I also use this on my W10 desktop.

I am extremely happy with the NextGen reader application, however, it has not seen an update in AGES. I was hoping that a Universal W10 application would have been out by now or that there would at least be some word from the developer. I haven't seen that happen yet.

I am on the lookout for a new RSS application. I have seen a few others such as "Phonly" and "Magnify News Reader" but all of these are missing key elements, unless I am mistaken.

My list of requirements for an RSS application are:

- Feedly support
- Built-in mobilizer (in NextGen, you can set certain feeds to acquire the "Full Article" and it uses a readibility mobilizer)
- Pocket Support ('Save to pocket')
- Offline caching

Currently, NextGen Reader is the only one I know of that has all these features. The most CRUCIAL feature is the built-in mobilizer. That is an absolute necessity for me since some of the feeds I follow will only give a brief description of the article, the rest of which has to be read on the website. The built-in mobilizer allows me to read within the application itself and it is a feature I simply cannot do without. Even the official Feedly iOS and Android applications DO NOT have built-in mobilizers and it would not be an exaggeration to say that it is this feature, and this feature alone that has kept me on my Lumia 1520 for 2.5 years.

Since NextGen has not seen an update for a while, I am wondering if there were any other WM10 applications I should consider. Also, does anyone know of any Android applications with built-in mobilizers? I might switch, but I simply cannot do it without this feature. I know for a fact that the official Feedly apps on both iOS and Android do not have this.

Any suggestions?

robnhl

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Best WM10 RSS Readers

For my money, NewsSpot is the best feed reader on Windows phones. It does support feedly, Pocket, mobilizers, etc. and it is very fast. It's probably my favorite app. I use it with NewsBlur and it works great.

copmcotcs

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site

NextGen Reader gets a major update, comes to Windows 10 as a UWA

:smile:

Edit: Looks like this is PC/Tablet only right now for some reason.

It seems that the application isn't active yet even on my W10 Desktop. Bit of digging in the comments of that article suggests that the devs have not fully released the desktop version. Anyways, this makes me exceedingly happy since I assumed that the application was simply dead and destined to remain "as is." I am now confident that a phone version will also be released.

I love this app so much I that I paid twice for it- once for my phone and once for my W8 machine (before it went universal on W8). I am perfectly willing to pay again if I have to.

I will check out NewsSpot. It seems to tick all the boxes.

Felix Wong

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

NextGen Reader! (note the '!' at the end for the new Windows 10 UWP app) is from the Windows store now. Looks great--like the old one, but with much better scaling and the addition of being able to manage the Feedly feeds now.

Also released today is this new "iNi Reader" UWP app, available for both PC and mobile:
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ps%2Fini-reader%2F9wzdncrdrx1k&token=38YnOLbG

Seems to have the same features as NextGen Reader, including built-in mobilizer for full article (default is summaries only but you can easily change this in the settings), dark mode, and ability to manage Feedly account. Right now my initial impression is iNi looks better than NextGen Reader in grid view, but NextGen Reader looks better than iNi in article view. Not sure which one I prefer so far and will try out both for the next week.

At first glance they both seem excellent. What a day for RSS readers for Windows 10---not to mention how timely the original question of this post was!

copmcotcs

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site

NextGen Reader! (note the '!' at the end for the new Windows 10 UWP app) is from the Windows store now. Looks great--like the old one, but with much better scaling and the addition of being able to manage the Feedly feeds now.

Also released today is this new "iNi Reader" UWP app, available for both PC and mobile:
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ps%2Fini-reader%2F9wzdncrdrx1k&token=R7Ox45_f

Seems to have the same features as NextGen Reader, including built-in mobilizer for full article (default is summaries only but you can easily change this in the settings), dark mode, and ability to manage Feedly account. Right now my initial impression is iNi looks better than NextGen Reader in grid view, but NextGen Reader looks better than iNi in article view. Not sure which one I prefer so far and will try out both for the next week.

At first glance they both seem excellent. What a day for RSS readers for Windows 10---not to mention how timely the original question of this post was!
Oh my god, I just tried iNi Reader.

Instant buy.

This is it. The app of my dreams.

Here's to another 2 years of the L1520. My prayers have been answered.

I will see what NextGen for W10 mobile turns out to be, but for now, I'm switching to iNi Reader. NextGen finally has some tough competition. Thank you Mr.Felix Wong.

ClevLab

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

We invite you to discover FeedLab for Windows 10 (https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...e%2Fp%2Ffeedlab%2F9wzdncrdkrq3&token=8iEVGD-S), the ideal application for getting the latest news from your favorite websites via the Feedly service.

Initially released on WP8.1 in July 2015, we started off with a blank sheet to design the Windows 10 version, in order to provide the best user experience, as well as on the phone, continuum, tablet, computer and soon even on Xbox One.

Thanks

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just tried about a million RSS apps today to add my Ars Technica full text feed (subscriber benefit). The problem: many apps don't properly parse that extended link. Fedora refuses to add it. "Fuse", supposedly by Rudy Huyn but looking a little neglected, does parse it correctly, as do many others. Many RSS apps to choose from, and many quite bad!

Many apps don't do local accounts, they just sync to Feedly. But feedly doesn't update 'rare links' very often, so private links to Ars Technica don't get quick updates. The few apps that do local accounts sometimes don't take the link, and sometimes don't share to other apps. The search continues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05