Heart Stopping Experience with Lumia 1020 Camera

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I have never tried shooting in RAW or DNG format until a few minutes ago, intending to compare zooming quality between .jpg and digital negative. Shooting in .jpg, 16:9 full resolution went well. However, something happened (or did not happen) when I shot in digital negative format:
the camera froze, was stuck in "Saving" and the lens cover did not close. I exited Nokia Camera and tried launching it again, but it was stuck in a Black screen... and the lens cover still has not closed. I can even tell that the optical image stabilization was still working (seeing the lens move as I gently rotate the phone) even after exiting Nokia Camera (no other apps are running)! I turned the phone off, hoping that the lens cover would close... but all I heard and felt was the OIS being deactivated as soon as the phone powered off and the lens cover is still open!

So I switched the phone back-on keeping an eye on the lens cover...but it still remained open through the booting process until I could unlock my phone and see all my pinned tiles correctly. I launched Nokia Camera, heard the familiar OIS being engaged, and seeing that the camera can still "see", I closed the app. Fortunately, this time, the lens cover FINALLY closed.

Anyone else experience this? I'm on Cyan, and just received the latest Preview for Developers update: 8.10.14192.280. I have never dropped, scratched nor bumped my phone with my six months of having it, so this was really a heart-stopping experience for me.:grincry:

dezzilakk

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Happened to me once while I was on the Preview. Made me quit the Preview, hardreset/Nokia tool back to Cyan and never looked back. I don't care enough for Folders(which is really the only thing that came out of 5 updates on the Preview?) for such instability. Cyan is okay.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, at least your fourth word is also "once", and that settles me even for just a bit now. But I can't afford to wipe out my data, so I think I'm left to simply unenrolling my phone from DevPrev. But at least I'm not the only one who encountered this. :cool:

pepcok

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
adding to this, another issue happened to me while running the developer preview - sometimes the DNG files produced by Nokia Camera were not readable by raw processing apps, such as Lightroom. Stock FW doesn't seem to have these problems.

socalgunner

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Ive had this occur on multiple occasions. I cannot however say that it was a heart stopping experience! Mildly annoying at best. But then again, I have dealt with a couple heart stopping experiences, so I guess all things are relative!

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Ive had this occur on multiple occasions. I cannot however say that it was a heart stopping experience! Mildly annoying at best. But then again, I have dealt with a couple heart stopping experiences, so I guess all things are relative!

Agreed! But for someone who has taken care not to even scratch, drop or knock the phone, or even take direct sunlight shots for the past seven months, the thought of experiencing a potential hardware failure was just unbelievable. But thanks for your input and insights, folks! All is well (so far!) and I hope this L1020 over here would live up to the tank-like construction Nokia phones are known to be.:cool:

It makes me wonder, now. Has anyone seen an L1020 drop test? (No, not that video where a certain Caucasian lady throws an L1020 in the air onto a dirt road and then drops it into a bucket of berries while she squeezes the juice out with her feet, and then finally dunks that L1020 in water... that is unlikely to happen in real life compared to a simple 1.5-meter drop.:cool:)

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I dropped mine on asphalt, with the grip case on, while getting out of my car a few weeks ago: the yellow case now has a some very black blotches to match my phone, but the 1020 was unaffected. Others screamed because it did make a lot of noise, and skidded about 6 feet, but I was pretty confident that the Lumia would be fine; sure enough, it is.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I dropped mine on asphalt, with the grip case on, while getting out of my car a few weeks ago: the yellow case now has a some very black blotches to match my phone, but the 1020 was unaffected. Others screamed because it did make a lot of noise, and skidded about 6 feet, but I was pretty confident that the Lumia would be fine; sure enough, it is.

Reminds me of Sheila E here Sheila E from youtube and her accidental drop test. I like how she held the L1020 close to her heart (just in the vicinity of the inferior vena cava) right after picking it up, but that was a pretty nasty drop. Sources say that she said that she had no problems with L1020 after that, so two points for Lumia*, zero for concrete/asphalt surfaces.:cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon