can you use the 1520 as a wifi only device?

chris66green

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I want to get the lumia 1520 but it seems to be an at&t exclusive. Will I be able to buy it without a plan and use it as WiFi only like an iPod touch?

chris66green

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
A SIM card is not needed for the start up process? Will I still be able to use all the preloaded apps and will I still get updates despite not being contected to a wireless network?

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
It runs gdr3 and lumia black so can be set up via WiFi.

You can get ota OS updates over WiFi, in fact, some ota OS updates can only be done via WiFi due to their size.

Without a sim card you would have no cellular or mobile data connection. You would only be able to use WiFi. The phone would act exactly as a phone with a sim card in every respect apart from the above.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
You would yes. If you get an unlocked unbranded handset that's not tied to a carrier network then you would receive the update when its rolled out by Ms or Nokia to your region (or the region you bought it from).

You can also join the developer preview by signing up to the windows phone app builder beta program at microsoft.com (free) and then you get os updates as soon as they are made available to the development community.

Warning - may void warrantee.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes