11-18-2013 11:29 AM
72 123
tools
    I mean, the phone has a massive screen but what does it do to take advantage of it besides the extra row of tiles? I saw a video of a Note 3 (the phone I have) vs the 1520 and the 1520 seems to dwarf it. The note 3 has its share of multi-tasking goodies like split screen, etc that takes advantage of the size of screen, but I feel like the 1520 does none of that. It has no extra benefits than say the 1020 which to me seems like a missed opportunity. If the 1520 had some of those features the Surface tabs have, I'd be all over it
    11-03-2013 10:46 AM
    More real estate for my SharePoint forms without having to cary my tablet with me... That does it for me... That doesn't mean it's a reason for just everybody, but it sure increases my productivity
    rdubmu likes this.
    11-03-2013 10:57 AM
    I agree. It seems Nokia's hardware is ahead of the OS here. It should have a digitizer. Why? Because the competition does.

It seems that many will buy this on the hardware specs alone (first S800, 1080p "phablet" size WP). I am really on the fence, personally.
    Ganesh Venkat and rdubmu like this.
    11-03-2013 11:04 AM
    I think we will see things like this in 8.1.
    paulxxwall and xandros9 like this.
    11-03-2013 11:44 AM
    I agree ^ the past updates from ms includes what we want. And if they keep up that, we'll be seeing better updates in the future, like the 8.1 future update
    11-03-2013 12:01 PM
    Easier web browsing, better readability for PDF or any other document, easier to write with on-screen keyboard, overall better experience with watching videos and gaming. I have 920 and it's 4,5" screen is too small for painless web browsing and especially for PDF reading. I have to constantly zoom in and out and i have very good eyesight. Big screen FTW.
    11-03-2013 01:50 PM
    The point is to have a phone with the size of the competition, for which upcoming updates can enhance the experience. I mean at least the hardware is out of the way so now its up to the software.
    ArthJar, xandros9, sashlon and 4 others like this.
    11-03-2013 05:23 PM
    Well I'm sure they haven't shipped it with a digitizer. But I see what you mean.
    11-03-2013 05:35 PM
    What's the point of a split screen on a phone?
    11-03-2013 11:25 PM
    What's the point of a split screen on a phone?
    Its nnot just a phone, its a phablet. And to answer your question with that being said, same point to having two apps open on a tablet
    trandz likes this.
    11-04-2013 02:09 AM
    Its nnot just a phone, its a phablet. And to answer your question with that being said, same point to having two apps open on a tablet
    Uhm..What is a phablet? Do you have any idea what a Tabphone is?
    11-04-2013 04:25 AM
    Wait you got a 1520 too? do you work for At&t.
    11-04-2013 04:27 AM
    I mean, the phone has a massive screen but what does it do to take advantage of it besides the extra row of tiles? I saw a video of a Note 3 (the phone I have) vs the 1520 and the 1520 seems to dwarf it. The note 3 has its share of multi-tasking goodies like split screen, etc that takes advantage of the size of screen, but I feel like the 1520 does none of that. It has no extra benefits than say the 1020 which to me seems like a missed opportunity. If the 1520 had some of those features the Surface tabs have, I'd be all over it
    mhh you got a point, but if those requirement are your goal i suggest you to take a 8inch windows 8.1 tablet! after all 6 inch are too much a phone and doesn't pretty fit any normal sized jean's pocket, so you have to carry it in another way!
    11-04-2013 04:31 AM
    I had a Galaxy Note 2, it's pretty useful. I did stuff like chatting with friends while watching videos, or wrote notes for a web page I had open in the browser.
    It may not be the most useful feature on a small phone, but it's pretty good on a phablet.

Besides, Windows Phone is still missing A LOT. On the Note 2, I wrote a big text document and formatted it properly, while on my Lumia 920 I can't even create a bullet list, or create a table, or change the font, or insert a picture...

Honestly, I was very disappointed by how limited Windows Phone's Office is. Productivity my ***.
    nohra, trandz and MyNL822 like this.
    11-04-2013 12:47 PM
    I had a Galaxy Note 2, it's pretty useful. I did stuff like chatting with friends while watching videos, or wrote notes for a web page I had open in the browser.
    It may not be the most useful feature on a small phone, but it's pretty good on a phablet.

Besides, Windows Phone is still missing A LOT. On the Note 2, I wrote a big text document and formatted it properly, while on my Lumia 920 I can't even create a bullet list, or create a table, or change the font, or insert a picture...

Honestly, I was very disappointed by how limited Windows Phone's Office is. Productivity my ***.
    How is it limited? I thought it was the closest thing to desktop class word processing/spreadsheets that you could get
    11-04-2013 01:33 PM
    How is it limited? I thought it was the closest thing to desktop class word processing/spreadsheets that you could get
    I have a list of things I didnt find:

Word:

• Cant even create a bullet list
    • Cant change text alignment
    • Cant change the font
    • Cant insert an image in the document
    • VERY limited text/highlight color choices

OneNote:

• Cant create a Notebook
    • Cant create a Section
    • Very limited formatting options

PowerPoint support is non-existent, and I dont use Excel, so cant really comment on it.
    nohra and Doom At Last like this.
    11-04-2013 02:13 PM
    I have a list of things I didn’t find:

Word:

• Can’t even create a bullet list
    • Can’t change text alignment
    • Can’t change the font
    • Can’t insert an image in the document
    • VERY limited text/highlight color choices

OneNote:

• Can’t create a Notebook
    • Can’t create a Section
    • Very limited formatting options

PowerPoint support is non-existent, and I don’t use Excel, so can’t really comment on it.
    Is it just me or does word not even format correctly? I don't think I've ever been able to realistically work on a document in it. It's pretty useless
    11-04-2013 03:00 PM
    this is very disappointing news ...I was under the impression that office on windows phone would be the best document viewer/editor out there

I do however, recall seeing a video with a dedicated PowerPoint icon on the start screen
    11-04-2013 03:32 PM
    this is very disappointing news ...I was under the impression that office on windows phone would be the best document viewer/editor out there

I do however, recall seeing a video with a dedicated PowerPoint icon on the start screen
    Yea, I believe you can view it as a slideshow. That's it for powerpoint. I think the excel app "looks" the most powerful. I don't use it, so I wouldn't know.
    11-04-2013 03:43 PM
    Yea, I believe you can view it as a slideshow. That's it for powerpoint. I think the excel app "looks" the most powerful. I don't use it, so I wouldn't know.
    You can also add notes to the slideshow. Office is pretty useless though, I wanted to start my formal lab report on my phone at school after we had finished a lab but without indentions and bullets there was no point. One thing about typing with the tablet is the on screen keyboard doesn't take up the full screen side ways and I need the keys bigger which they may or may not do.
    11-04-2013 04:15 PM
    Well I would have thought the advantages were obvious but obviously some are not quite grasping it, never the less I will list a handful:
    Typing will be easier and hopefully more precise - WP onscreen keyboards are considered by many to be the best in the industry. A wider, taller screen will take advantage of this. Yes, landscape mode you will still have unused space but most people type with the phone in normal portrait style.

Pictures and videos are going to be nicer to view, coupled with the 1080p resolution

Of course we'll have the extra row of tiles, a bonus.

As regards digitizer, I personally think they are a novelty. I have a Sony Vaio Multi-flip PC with a digitizer and I used it for 3 days and then put it in my draw where it has been ever since (around 2 weeks ago)

So yeah. This is my personal opinion anyway. Still won't stop me from ordering one as soon as its available. Its going to be great.
    11-04-2013 04:44 PM
    I really don't get it ...Office on Windows Phone should be THE one thing that propels the platform to center stage
    just imagine how many businesses would switch if mobile office had desktop class functions

...I don't understand why m$ doesn't put more effort into it
    11-04-2013 04:46 PM
    Well I would have thought the advantages were obvious but obviously some are not quite grasping it, never the less I will list a handful:
    Typing will be easier and hopefully more precise - WP onscreen keyboards are considered by many to be the best in the industry. A wider, taller screen will take advantage of this. Yes, landscape mode you will still have unused space but most people type with the phone in normal portrait style.

Pictures and videos are going to be nicer to view, coupled with the 1080p resolution

Of course we'll have the extra row of tiles, a bonus.

As regards digitizer, I personally think they are a novelty. I have a Sony Vaio Multi-flip PC with a digitizer and I used it for 3 days and then put it in my draw where it has been ever since (around 2 weeks ago)

So yeah. This is my personal opinion anyway. Still won't stop me from ordering one as soon as its available. Its going to be great.
    I have no issues with the keyboard on my 920, can't imagine blowing it up even more will make it signifcantly better. And I mean, how often do you really watch movies/videos on your phone? Youtube/metrotube doesn't even support 1080p, so that's not much better.

I think the benefits of the extra row of tiles and the digitizer are personal opinions for sure, but there's no doubt that the OS should be heavily improved for such beastly hardware. I completely agree that the 1520 is a beast, but without a more productive operating system, it just seems like I'm sacrificing portability for no improvement in productivity.
    11-04-2013 07:19 PM
    Is it just me or does word not even format correctly? I don't think I've ever been able to realistically work on a document in it. It's pretty useless
    Yep, Word formatting was way off for my usual template, in particular I found the way it wraps sentences to be annoying. I'm pretty sure it offers less functionality than many notepad applications. They really need to add style support, which I'd argue is the easiest way to bring advanced formatting to mobile form factors. Configure templates with styles on the desktop (think subheader, paragraph, bulleted list with desired indentation, code) then easily toggle between the styles on your phone.
    11-04-2013 09:58 PM

That's great what you could accomplish on the Note, but don't lie. You can EASILY put bullets in your notes in OneNote. I don't care what y'all feel about the competition or this platform, but don't lie because you didn't take the time to figure it out. You hit those three dots, go to format, and there's your bullet list.

Smh
    11-04-2013 10:32 PM
72 123