11-23-2013 09:39 AM
104 1234 ...
tools
    I think that them not knowing the different functions of the camera, like action shot, means they didn't take time to learn the equipment.

Sent from my temporary device using Tapatalk
    I think taking burst shots is easier and better on the iPhone. You just hold the camera button, while WP needs to go to the camera app, press the lens button, open the burst mode, then do it.
    edoug likes this.
    11-18-2013 06:18 PM
    Engadget did a pretty good review of the Lumia 1520
    Nokia Lumia 1520 review: the best Windows Phone device yet
    11-18-2013 07:02 PM
    I have the 5s and have been dying to get away from iOS for the last 3yrs. Ordered the nokia 1520 on the 8th. I have played with a 2 different phones, one at the Microsoft store and one at the AT&T store. My initial jmpressikns from just instore shots are that yes, the 5s has the better camera.

I am due to receive mind Thursday or Friday and will do comparison shots. Hopefully I am wrong. But just from the instore stuff I took, there is now way it is going to blow the 5s away, or even come close to doing that.
    11-18-2013 08:06 PM
    Theverge review Is complete BS
    Buxbeck1 likes this.
    11-18-2013 08:11 PM
    I have the 5s and have been dying to get away from iOS for the last 3yrs. Ordered the nokia 1520 on the 8th. I have played with a 2 different phones, one at the Microsoft store and one at the AT&T store. My initial jmpressikns from just instore shots are that yes, the 5s has the better camera.

I am due to receive mind Thursday or Friday and will do comparison shots. Hopefully I am wrong. But just from the instore stuff I took, there is now way it is going to blow the 5s away, or even come close to doing that.
    Hardware wise that shouldn't be the case. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some firmware improvements. Also, raw format images should show if this is the case.
    11-18-2013 08:59 PM
    Hardware wise that shouldn't be the case. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some firmware improvements. Also, raw format images should show if this is the case.
    while true, the 5S has f2.2 while the 1520 is f2.4, so in low light it should gather better light, now the flash on the 5S is superb the true tone flash is pretty cool, not sure why nokia didnt use that, im pretty sure is not patented, or is it? the 1520 will have the capabilities to zoom in more and get more detail.
    11-18-2013 09:18 PM
    Like I said, people shouldn't have to wait several months to see improvements in their phones, that's bs. And even more, you shouldn't have to fiddle around with a billion settings (exaggerating) to get the best picture. It should be quick and easy. This is one thing Apple has a huge upper hand against others. Other companies may do the same thing that some Apple features have or just got, but Apple really does make it better and easier to do. Also that their support and repairs kill Android and Windows Phone, and BlackBerry too.
    cckgz4 and thomas wojcik like this.
    11-18-2013 09:27 PM
    while true, the 5S has f2.2 while the 1520 is f2.4, so in low light it should gather better light, now the flash on the 5S is superb the true tone flash is pretty cool, not sure why nokia didnt use that, im pretty sure is not patented, or is it? the 1520 will have the capabilities to zoom in more and get more detail.
    The sensor on the lumia 1520 is 1\2.5 while the iPhone 5s has a sensor of 1\3(I believe it may be 1\3.2) so with a larger sensor the 1520 will be able to gather more light and produce better images.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    11-18-2013 10:00 PM
    Like I said, people shouldn't have to wait several months to see improvements in their phones, that's bs. And even more, you shouldn't have to fiddle around with a billion settings (exaggerating) to get the best picture. It should be quick and easy. This is one thing Apple has a huge upper hand against others. Other companies may do the same thing that some Apple features have or just got, but Apple really does make it better and easier to do. Also that their support and repairs kill Android and Windows Phone, and BlackBerry too.
    Nokia continues to improve the software for their cameras, if you ask me it shows support of the their products. With the new nokia black update, nokia continue s to improve the imaging algorithms, and this shows dedication from nokia to the customers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Editguy1900 likes this.
    11-18-2013 10:14 PM
    When I tried the 1520 in-store, I took a picture of a display about 15 feet away. I then zoomed in to read small tags and product info.

The stuff was a blur on the iPhone.
    11-18-2013 10:46 PM
    Also that their support and repairs kill Android and Windows Phone, and BlackBerry too.
    That's because iPhones have weak build quality.
    11-19-2013 12:23 AM

Looking forward to seeing your comparison shots!!
    11-19-2013 12:30 AM
    I agree the iPhone takes pictures faster, but you can get the same results with the 1520, just not in the "Pro" camera settings (I believe)
    11-19-2013 01:00 AM
    I am fine with the Verge review. As WP gets more and more sales, they will be forced to adjust what they know and how they aproach MS products. If MS keeps going in the direction they have been, their support/ecosystem will be rival to Apple's in about a year or so, their products will have excellent options all the way up and down the range of a slew of devices that neither Apple or Google can compete with (laptops, PC's, Tablets, Smartphones), and the built in tools and available apps will be second to no one anymore.

By the way, Phone Arena has become quite a site for a pro-Android vibe in the past year and a half. They were very balanced when I first started visiting them in 2010, and I have used them as my "go to" site for general news since. I love their site set up for comparison tools and such. They just floored me with the complimentary review of the 1520:

Nokia Lumia 1520 Review
    11-19-2013 01:02 AM
    That's because iPhones have weak build quality.
    Lol! You're funny. Dead wrong, but funny!
    thomas wojcik likes this.
    11-19-2013 01:06 AM
    I think taking burst shots is easier and better on the iPhone. You just hold the camera button, while WP needs to go to the camera app, press the lens button, open the burst mode, then do it.
    Eh no, that is not the current way to do it, do you own a pure view phone are you just going by outdated reviews? The last iteration of the software is Nokia camera which has integrated the smart cam with pro cam. You have three icons available on the and if you tap one, you launch the smart cam interface. It takes 1 second total.
    11-19-2013 01:29 AM
    Lets drop an iPhone 5S and Lumia 1520 from our hands and see who is dead wrong?
    11-19-2013 01:35 AM
    My friends have had more problems with iPhones than any other phone.
    Editguy1900 likes this.
    11-19-2013 02:06 AM
    I think its unfair to compare 1520 camera with a small camera of iPhone 5s. There should be a comparison Lumia 1520 and Xperia Z1 camera
    11-19-2013 02:43 AM
    agree, gsmarena has the best reviews..
    The reason why I like GSMArena reviews is that they take their time with the phone and then release a thorough review. Not like other sites who try to be "first" in posting the review and miss out on a lot of things.
    WinFan1 and husam2277 like this.
    11-19-2013 04:18 AM
    Some people just want Microsoft to burn, Why? I will never know.
    wapoz likes this.
    11-19-2013 06:21 AM
    It would be nice if they could elaborate why they think the camera in the 5s/1020 is better. Do they produce sharper images? Better colors? I only saw them mentioning that the 1520 is a bit slow.

The thing that hits me when I look at the 1520 samples is that most of them have some blur, most likely due to shaky hands, and quite bad focusing. I just quickly checked the EXIF data on the images and all of them were taken at 1/24s, or slower, and the ISO at around 640 most of the times (the picture with the apples have ISO-100). To compare it I looked at the details on ten images in the 5s review and most of them were at 1/400s, with the slowest at 1/125, and the sensor sensitivity (ISO) at ISO-40 and the majority are in bright sunlight. No wonder why they "pop" more.

What does this mean for me? I'm not going to judge the camera on the 1520 before seeing some real comparison shots by someone who actually tries their best when they take the pictures.
    11-19-2013 06:46 AM
    I think its unfair to compare 1520 camera with a small camera of iPhone 5s. There should be a comparison Lumia 1520 and Xperia Z1 camera
    iphone 5s has a very good camera as per reviews, include camera comparision test on wpcentral, in terms of image quality in auto mode it was nowhere behind 1020.
    11-19-2013 06:46 AM
    Another thing to remember Nokia phones take a couple of updates until the camera is performing at peak performance.
    I think this is not acceptable in today's cut throat competition.
    11-19-2013 06:50 AM
    The problem with the reviews from The Verge lately of the Surface and other gear in the Microsoft ecosystem is that they don't seem to be written from the perspective of the people who actually use these devices. They just whine about why it is not an iPad or an iPhone, and omit why a Lumia might be better if you are using Microsoft services. For example, the seamless syncing between OneNote in the phone and your computer is obviously an advantage for someone using Windows 8 but it is never mentioned.

The comments about the camera is by the way a clear case of not knowing how to use the phone. The reviewer complained endlessly about some delay when taking photos when photographing a toddler. Well, this might be a good case for using smart cam, or you can use manual focus which gives you almost instant picture taking when you actually push the button. Try to do that on another phone with stock software...
    Pork,

That is an excellent analysis. If I could recommend, you should take that analysis to the editors of the Verge (not the author of the article). That may be something they do not realize when assigning pieces to be written.
    11-19-2013 07:09 AM
104 1234 ...