Theverge review claiming iPhone 5s has better camera than 1520 Lol

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I think taking burst shots is easier and better on the iPhone. You just hold the camera button, while WP needs to go to the camera app, press the lens button, open the burst mode, then do it.
Eh no, that is not the current way to do it, do you own a pure view phone are you just going by outdated reviews? The last iteration of the software is Nokia camera which has integrated the smart cam with pro cam. You have three icons available on the and if you tap one, you launch the smart cam interface. It takes 1 second total.

alv3st3r

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
agree, gsmarena has the best reviews..

The reason why I like GSMArena reviews is that they take their time with the phone and then release a thorough review. Not like other sites who try to be "first" in posting the review and miss out on a lot of things.

mazzer

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice if they could elaborate why they think the camera in the 5s/1020 is better. Do they produce sharper images? Better colors? I only saw them mentioning that the 1520 is a bit slow.

The thing that hits me when I look at the 1520 samples is that most of them have some blur, most likely due to shaky hands, and quite bad focusing. I just quickly checked the EXIF data on the images and all of them were taken at 1/24s, or slower, and the ISO at around 640 most of the times (the picture with the apples have ISO-100). To compare it I looked at the details on ten images in the 5s review and most of them were at 1/400s, with the slowest at 1/125, and the sensor sensitivity (ISO) at ISO-40 and the majority are in bright sunlight. No wonder why they "pop" more.

What does this mean for me? I'm not going to judge the camera on the 1520 before seeing some real comparison shots by someone who actually tries their best when they take the pictures.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I think its unfair to compare 1520 camera with a small camera of iPhone 5s. There should be a comparison Lumia 1520 and Xperia Z1 camera

iphone 5s has a very good camera as per reviews, include camera comparision test on wpcentral, in terms of image quality in auto mode it was nowhere behind 1020.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
The problem with the reviews from The Verge lately of the Surface and other gear in the Microsoft ecosystem is that they don't seem to be written from the perspective of the people who actually use these devices. They just whine about why it is not an iPad or an iPhone, and omit why a Lumia might be better if you are using Microsoft services. For example, the seamless syncing between OneNote in the phone and your computer is obviously an advantage for someone using Windows 8 but it is never mentioned.

The comments about the camera is by the way a clear case of not knowing how to use the phone. The reviewer complained endlessly about some delay when taking photos when photographing a toddler. Well, this might be a good case for using smart cam, or you can use manual focus which gives you almost instant picture taking when you actually push the button. Try to do that on another phone with stock software...

Pork,

That is an excellent analysis. If I could recommend, you should take that analysis to the editors of the Verge (not the author of the article). That may be something they do not realize when assigning pieces to be written.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
iphone 5s has a very good camera as per reviews, include camera comparision test on wpcentral, in terms of image quality in auto mode it was nowhere behind 1020.

I know that iPhone 5S has a great camera. In fact apple has produced great smartphone cameras since iPhone 4S. But it should be compared with 8MP race.

Just like the way we can't compare Lumia 1520, 1020 or Xperia Z1 with a high end professional DSLR camera like Nikon D7100. Similarly you can't compare an iPhone camera with the league of Lumia 1020, 1520 or Xperia Z1. It will always fall short.

When it comes to details, image quality, I don't see any reason why iPhone with a small sensor would produce a better and detailed image quality compared to 1520. At best it can produce an image quality that can match with these gigantic smartphones, but can't outclass them.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
A pretty good review but my jaw dropped when I saw 7.4 as the score. Such BS. And one of the bad things is that you can't watch a movie offline? Really?? Dig a little deeper....

I need to go look at PhoneDog when they come out with a review.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
When it comes to details, image quality, I don't see any reason why iPhone with a small sensor would produce a better and detailed image quality compared to 1520. At best it can produce an image quality that can match with these gigantic smartphones, but can't outclass them.

A lot depends on the processing algorithms as well, Nokia pro camera had many issue when first launched, ex. the images were quite soft and not sharp. my point is many of us are behaving like absolute fanboys, trashing iphone 5s camera completely, I agree most of the reviews there on net are biased but that said, 1520 or 1020 doesnt just completely crush iphone 5s in camera area.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I have the 5s and have been dying to get away from iOS for the last 3yrs.

But the 5S only came out two months ago! If I remember well - and please do correct me if I am wrong - both Android and Windows phones were available in shops in September this year. I think you could have saved yourself wasting money on the 5S.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
A lot depends on the processing algorithms as well, Nokia pro camera had many issue when first launched, ex. the images were quite soft and not sharp. my point is many of us are behaving like absolute fanboys, trashing iphone 5s camera completely, I agree most of the reviews there on net are biased but that said, 1520 or 1020 doesnt just completely crush iphone 5s in camera area.

I agree with you, that if you leave loss zoom and detailed caused by bigger lens aside, iPhone 5s has produced excellent image quality. Which is as good as 1020. Right now 1520 is still in prototype stage, so there are things are needs to be improved

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Overall, it read as a positive review with what I thought were some valid criticisms. Hopefully, MS and Nokia will take note and listen. I'd be curious to see what a comparison of the video would show.

Apple puts out an overall good camera experience which may not always be apparent on paper.

I'm still getting the 1520 even though I see some faults in it.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
And one of the bad things is that you can't watch a movie offline? Really?? Dig a little deeper....

In a world where most people don't have unlimitted data, that is a big deal. If I'm going for a long drive, I can rent a movie on my Android device from Google Play, download it before we leave the house, and my daughter is happy the whole way. If I had to stream the movie, I just wouldn't even rent it in the first place. I really like Windows Phone and want to come back to it from Android. However, it is details like this that keep me from making the switch. Little things add up. I'd love to get a 1020 or a 1520, but there are just too many little consessions (some MSs fault, some not) that I would have to make that add up to a big enough reason not to switch back.

Windows Phone users shouldn't write off these little short comings. They should put pressure on MS to bring their OS up to par with its competitors.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
In a world where most people don't have unlimitted data, that is a big deal. If I'm going for a long drive, I can rent a movie on my Android device from Google Play, download it before we leave the house, and my daughter is happy the whole way. If I had to stream the movie, I just wouldn't even rent it in the first place. I really like Windows Phone and want to come back to it from Android. However, it is details like this that keep me from making the switch. Little things add up. I'd love to get a 1020 or a 1520, but there are just too many little consessions (some MSs fault, some not) that I would have to make that add up to a big enough reason not to switch back.

Windows Phone users shouldn't write off these little short comings. They should put pressure on MS to bring their OS up to par with its competitors.

And I think when we get xbox video for WP, we should be able to download our movies we purchased already from xbox video, and already purchased videos. I really hope, though.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Eh no, that is not the current way to do it, do you own a pure view phone are you just going by outdated reviews? The last iteration of the software is Nokia camera which has integrated the smart cam with pro cam. You have three icons available on the and if you tap one, you launch the smart cam interface. It takes 1 second total.

That's fine I guess, but what about the other stuff, like panorama? Very easy and fast on the iPhone, and for some reason, sluggish on windows phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon