WiFi & 4G Speeds - how fast should they be?

jbfoster61

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I am in a 4g area. When I was at the AT&T store the sales rep pulled out his phone and used the speed test app and his phone was hitting 30 Mbps. I think he had a Iphone. I pulled out my Samsung Note and was hitting 9 to 10.

How fast should a phone be on 4G?
How fast should the phone be on WiFi ?

Now for my results this morning:

My desktop PC = 52 Mbps

Lumia 1520:
WiFi - most of the time its around 5 or 6 Mbps down. On occasions it hits 12Mps down and up varies alot.
4G - 4.9 Mbps down and .53 Mbps up

My Wife's Samsung Galaxy
WiFi - 26Mbps down and 10 Mbps up
4G - 4.5 Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up

Samsung Note:
WiFi - 22 Mbs down and 12 Mbps up.
4G - phone not activated. I have the Lumia 1520 now.

What speeds are every one else getting?

This is the only thing I have noticed that might be a problem with my 1520.

Should I be concerned about my WiFi?
Should I try a Factory Reset?
Should I return the phone for another?

Thanks
Jim

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
depends on a lot of things, especially your data plan for del and mobile. Additionally, your router is able to have an order for connected devices, maybe your wife's galaxy is on top of that list and gets the full bandwidth then, if you're below you'll only get the "rest". I also have varying speeds, my TV only gets 20, my phone 39 and my laptop 49, but via cable. Also, did you test the devices at the same position?
I don't have a 1520 myself, but since it uses the Snapdragon 800 as SoC it should work just as the current Android devices, which have no problems so far.. maybe check another wifi network, but if you get way lower speeds with the same networks there might be something wrong..

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
On WiFi I get the same speeds as I do on my computer
Sometimes even faster ...I average about 50mbps but have hit over 80 on the 1520

On ATT my upload speed is always sub 1mbps regardless of whether I'm on 4g or lte

jbfoster61

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
My WiFi is dead. If I turn off my data I can't do anything. The phone says WiFi is connected but nothing connects. Looks like the phone is going back for another 1520.

Jim

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the Speedtest.net app? Or are you using Network Speed Test by MS Research? I too get below average speeds on LTE and WiFi on both. Network Speed Test seems a little more accurate though (higher).

dropofdreams

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
There are so many variables that are going to come into play here. There won't ever be a consistent number. Simply setting my phone down nearly doubles the down speed from when I'm holding it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs