Exclusivity actually hurts Windows Phone platform

aliencatos

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
There is one thing that really don’t help WindowsPhone and that is exclusivity that all provider sign with phone manufacturer…

Samsung understand that a long time ago and they arethe best seller phone in the world… when you want a Samsung phone, every providersale the same branded phone … (I’ll speak for Canada because I not sure in US,but it’s probably the same) you like to get a S4 or a note 3, I can go to anyprovider in Canada and get the phone… probably they all got a different versionof the phone but all have the same phone, so just have to chose the provider andget the phone…

If you look at windows phone and Nokia, every providerhave a exclusivity on a different model… if you’d like a specific model, youhave to pray that the provider where you like to get your service is the onehaving the exclusivity… and is not that easy to buy a phone from a provider touse it on different one…

The lumia 1020 that Rogers sale in Canada use a modemwith I think ALL the major frequency. Correct me if I’m rong but I think thisphone can work basically on any provider in the world:

GSM/EDGE Bands: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
HSPA+/HSPA Bands: 850/900/1700/1900/2100MHz
LTE Bands: 2100MHz

a single model can work anywhere..

Basically, If Microsoft want to help their cause, they should use thesame business model then Samsung… a single Model on the most provider possible…

Apple does that and LG start to do so with the G2…

I think if Microsoft start doing the same with Nokia, the platform willexpend faster…

What are your thoughts on that?

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree. WP8 only has few devices and to make it worst, high end phones are exclusive to one carrier in whole country. Even though I am on AT&T, still dislike this exclusivity thing.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I have been telling @Windowsphone and @JohnLegere the same thing, start carrying multiple WP devices, one for each low, middle and high end range.

menghai

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
If there were no exclusivity, I wouldn't be using a Samsung Galaxy 3. Thats truth, Microsoft.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

kc77

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
It would be nice to have all the same phones going to every carrier. However, they would need more than one phone for the carriers too. The 929/Icon and the 1520 would be an amazing pair to have for every carrier. It would be perfect to compete against the S4 and Note.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2