Replacing a Lumia 1520 glass/digitizer not LCD?

jholso

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Like the title says, has anyone here replaced the glass screen/digitizer combo with out the LCD? Its a lot cheaper ($50-$60 versus $220+) and my lcd is fine.

I have disassembled many phones for repair so that part doesn't scare me, what worries me is no pictures/videos of anyone prying off the glass.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
My understanding is that the LCD is bonded to the glass/digitizer so it will take quite a bit of work getting them separated.

Good luck if you do manage to get them apart. :)

Vash88

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Same here, I would really like to have one of this in my hand to check if it can be opened using a scalpel or a razor blade. Someone with a broken digitizer could at least try to open the screen (while taking a video :D ), since more harm couldn't be done.

junglescope

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Every store I've talked to has said it isn't possible.

I say it is, because a part of the digitizer in the bottom corner of my broken phone has already broken off.
But apparently, it's very easy to break the LCD by attempting to just take the glass off. Cheapest rates I've heard of were 200 at Palco Repair, and 240 from Nokia Care. Good Luck.

P.S. I'm sending mine to Squaretrade tomorrow, so I guess I don't have to worry.

Vash88

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
also the nexus 4 is very difficult but not impossible... well i'll wait sometime until anyone will manage to make a succesfull video on youtube, i'm not so bold :)

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
also the nexus 4 is very difficult but not impossible... well i'll wait sometime until anyone will manage to make a succesfull video on youtube, i'm not so bold :)

I REALLY doubt that anyone will make a vid of getting the LCD off the Digitizer. I would pay to get it fixed if I were you. DYI on this one isn't going to happen I fear.

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
My screen sadly just shattered as well... it wasn't even that bad of a drop.
These things are much weaker than my 920---and I even had a small thin case on it. Very disappointed in the phone and myself.

From everything I am reading it seems easier to just buy the unit for lcd/digitizer/screen unit for 180-200.
I'm seeing several on eBay---but unsure of the quality.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Like the title says, has anyone here replaced the glass screen/digitizer combo with out the LCD? Its a lot cheaper ($50-$60 versus $220+) and my lcd is fine.

I have disassembled many phones for repair so that part doesn't scare me, what worries me is no pictures/videos of anyone prying off the glass.

While it may be technically possible my phone guy wouldn't do it. Apparently it is really hard to do.

I had to do the whole thing.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
The video (of Lumia 820 replacement) is irrelevant - the process for sealing LCD to digitizer / glass has changed since that device dropped.

Pull the service manual for the Lumia 1520 (Google it, it's out there, I have it) - Nokia doesn't even recommend it. However, it'll break down what's what. It appears the full LCD / digitizer / screen assembly replacement is vey straightforward.

IF you want to DIY, that's what I'd recommend, though the complete assembly is ~~ $160 to $180 (not saving very much).

IF you manage to remove the glass screen / digitizer without damaging the LCD, the catch is putting them back together, the heat generated by the device subverts most adhesives - then you really have a problem ...

Good Luck, let us know how you do !

Last edited:

Alysia Holland

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I bought a Nokia 1520 off eBay I'm gonna give it a shot ....the LCD is good but touch is out I hear the digitizer on eBay won't work Idk but I'll get it this week will let you know how it goes ..

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Nokia 1520 off eBay I'm gonna give it a shot ....the LCD is good but touch is out I hear the digitizer on eBay won't work Idk but I'll get it this week will let you know how it goes ..

Be extremely careful around the PROX sensor, any little bit of dust / glue / detritus will screw the phone.
And, if you don't already know, you need a special heat-resistant adhesive to bond those together.

Good Luck, waiting to hear how you do.

Alysia Holland

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I got the glass of easy but how to apply digitizer I can't get it to work on my 1520...and I have a s3 touch works but home button and back don't work any idea

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes