Considering Switch from Android (HTC One)/Nexus 5 - One Problem

smallfrys

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
A friend recently switched from Android and got the 1520 and loves it. Between that and my employer using Office 365 (seen the great integration on several co-workers' phones), I tried out the 1520 at AT&T. Love it, but one problem: the suggestions at the top of the keyboard were very slow to pop up when typing. At least 0.5-1 second. Probably every text I make has 2-3 corrections I need to make, so this would be unacceptable for me. I tried looking in settings, but couldn't find a way to change it.

I'll be buying unlocked on eBay to use with Straight Talk. With no easy returns, I'd need to know if it works ahead of time. We just switched wife from Galaxy Nexus/Verizon to Nexus 5 (she didn't even want to make that switch, so she wouldn't switch to WP with me). I'm getting tired of Android and would like to make the switch, but the N5 doesn't have this keyboard issue, either with stock or Swiftkey. I found this thread, which seems to indicate that prediction speed isn't customizable, and that it may be I simply type too fast, and WP is more for deliberate/medium-speed typists. Is that still the case? :(

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm not so sure. The device you used at ATT had many ppl typing on that phone. Also, since that phone was a demo, it didn't have a MS acct attached and it didn't remember the words "you" typed. So the suggestions and "slow"-ness were due to those reasons.

Typing for me is fast. Suggestions and auto correct are always spot on. Hope this helps somewhat.

smallfrys

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
^Thanks. I may just have to risk and try it. Guess the next question would be if anyone knows where to buy a phone unlocked that has the lowest return/restocking fee?

It's my biggest gripe with iOS also, as it was quick to type on, but autocorrect didn't work nearly as well as Swiftkey. Android's default keyboard has gotten way better, but still isn't as good for me as Swiftkey.

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
What MicrosoftJunkie mentioned about the AT&T demo units is correct, and not just with WP devices. The demo units get bogged down with tons of customers everyday handling the phones, multitasking the hell out them with all kinds of stuff running in the background, and the devices almost never get turned off or reset to run smoothly.

Demo units are good to get a cursory feel of the device and OS, however, what would I would suggest before plunking down money for the phone, is if you have any friends, coworkers or family with a Lumia 1520, or other WP device is try theirs to see if the spelling prediction features meets your requirements.....at least that way you can test it on a device that hasnt been handled by lord knows how many people.

trivor

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
^Thanks. I may just have to risk and try it. Guess the next question would be if anyone knows where to buy a phone unlocked that has the lowest return/restocking fee?

It's my biggest gripe with iOS also, as it was quick to type on, but autocorrect didn't work nearly as well as Swiftkey. Android's default keyboard has gotten way better, but still isn't as good for me as Swiftkey.

Why not pick up an unlocked 520/521 from ATT/TMo for $60 to try out all these things on the cheap.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, and to previous poster. I didn't realize there was such a cheap option. Would the experience be the same on the 520 vs. the 1520? I thought the 1520 has the best hardware by far of any WP? With Android, hardware makes a big difference.

Is the off-contract 520 from Microsoft Store already unlocked?

The 520/521 will be slower, smaller screen and lower screen resolution but it will give you a very good idea of what the widows system is like.

I got a 520 just because there was a deal on them and I got it for ?50 new. I haven't used it much but I was more than surprised at just how good it was.

Think of the difference between the 520 and the 1520 like looking at the world with bad eyesight and then putting your glasses on, everything is just that bit better.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Basic experience yes. Imagine watching the Super Bowl on a 35" vs a 60". It has more RAM, so apps will load a bit faster, multitasking somewhat smoother, etc. Hardware with WP isn't nearly as important as it is with Android. Also you don't get the "over time lag". My 8X is just as fast, fluid and smooth as the day I got it back in November 2012., correction, its quicker now that it has had a chance to "learn" me.

An AT&T L520 should work on Straight Talk without unlocking as they use AT&T's network. For example, my 8X is T-Mo branded, and I've had it on Family Mobile and now currently on MetroPCS ( both T-Mo networks). They even have the L521 for $30, no contract, at least at my local store. You may need to set the correct APNs. But that's easy.. At that price, its a good investment to see if you really like WP (which I know you will). After you do, get your L1520. and use the 520/521 as a dedicated back up. Mp3 player or just the phone you put in your pocket when you're working on the car, yard, house.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, and to previous poster. I didn't realize there was such a cheap option. Would the experience be the same on the 520 vs. the 1520? I thought the 1520 has the best hardware by far of any WP? With Android, hardware makes a big difference.

Is the off-contract 520 from Microsoft Store already unlocked?

I have the Go Phone 520 (your link) to and my 1520. I have it as a backup. And no, the 520 is "Off contract", but still locked to AT&T. It's just you don't have to sign a 2 year contract to own it. I haven't used the phone, but my daughter broke her iPhone, so I mailed this to her. She likes the 520, says it is faster and smoother than the 4s she had, I think I may have a WP convert. :wink: LoL (Seeing how I lost the other daughter from the 920 to the 5c...) :cry:

spazzmeister

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
No, you're right there is a lag on autocorrect. I'm typing on the Lumia 925 and the lag is quite noticeable.So of you're a speedy typer you might get frustrated. I did read somewhere that Swype will be available on WP8.1 is this true?

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
No, you're right there is a lag on autocorrect. I'm typing on the Lumia 925 and the lag is quite noticeable.So of you're a speedy typer you might get frustrated. I did read somewhere that Swype will be available on WP8.1 is this true?

Not Swype, but a "swype-like" keyboard will from the previews I have seen here on WPC..

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
One thing to say, simply, WP keyboard, might be the best most stable function on WP generally, I type super fast with it, not like my galaxy tab 2, which is frustrating. that's in English though.

In the middle east we often use a different way of typing which is a bit frustrating on WP, as we usually add numbers between letters to indicated letters that are not available in the English language to talk in Arabic (I know we are coocoo for not using the Arabic language available, which is also very very good on WP). this works on Androids swiftkey, as you can add "mar7aba" to the dictionary, where as on WP this cant work and as soon as you add a number the word wont be available to be added to the dictionary.

hope this helps.

smallfrys

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. My friend let me play around with his 1520 for a bit, and I noticed the lag on his also. He had previously told me he never noticed lag, and could type "quite fast on it." He typed right in front of me and didn't experience any. However, he is an older man with giant fingers and basically pecks. The phone allows him to go pretty fast. That said, when I used it, he said he could see the lag. He said I just type way faster than him. If I type what seems like very slowly for me, the autocorrect keeps up. But if I start typing fast, it can't keep up as fast as Swiftkey does on my HTC One or stock keyboard on wife's Nexus 5. I'd say it's got similar lag to when I used Swiftkey on my old Galaxy Nexuses.

I've heard MS may be allowing a replacement texting app in 8.1, so I'll definitely make the leap if they ever allow replacement keyboards, or perhaps implement a toggle like Swiftkey does (faster/less accurate vs. slower/more accurate). I think I'm with spazzmeister in thinking it would be frustrating. I even told my friend I might be able to slow my typing down and adjust, and he said, "No way. You shouldn't have to adjust to the phone, it should adjust to you." Given he's become a big WP evangelist, I took it to heart. I may still try the 820, so thanks to trivor, Will6371, oditious, and others for the advice on that.

Again, thanks for all the advice :) Also, I'm liking the limited exposure I got to the WP community here. iOS and Android forums tend to be less helpful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3