08-31-2014 02:49 PM
58 123
tools
    This we don't know yet. It looks like some of the features might require the firmware to work properly
    No. People without Cyan can get to GDR 1. Not every Windows Phone is a Nokia phone and they will get all the updates as well.
    07-31-2014 01:10 PM
    This I did... no big problems... other than waiting for stuff to download.... One thing I did do was a full restore of a backup I made before I downgraded. Had to do a hard reset to get to the restore.... not a big deal though. I really did not want to have set up my home screen again, hence the restore.

Now I'm debating going back on DP to get GDR1... I think I'll wait and see what everyone experiences with GDR1. My 1520 is very sweet with 8.1 and Cyan....

~ScottGeek.
    07-31-2014 04:24 PM
    So jealous of you guys but I have to much to lose (data) so I won't downgrade.
    07-31-2014 11:16 PM
    I rolled back then updated. I'll get back on the dev preview once update 1 comes out.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    08-01-2014 12:24 AM
    This I did... no big problems... other than waiting for stuff to download.... One thing I did do was a full restore of a backup I made before I downgraded. Had to do a hard reset to get to the restore.... not a big deal though. I really did not want to have set up my home screen again, hence the restore.

Now I'm debating going back on DP to get GDR1... I think I'll wait and see what everyone experiences with GDR1. My 1520 is very sweet with 8.1 and Cyan....

~ScottGeek.
    when you restored from your 8.1 backup AFTER you upgraded to Cyan, did your home screen get restored along with app data, as Microsoft promised when they announced WP 8.1? app data meaning, you don't need to open the apps and re-sign in and set them up one by one again..
    08-01-2014 12:35 AM
    when you restored from your 8.1 backup AFTER you upgraded to Cyan, did your home screen get restored along with app data, as Microsoft promised when they announced WP 8.1? app data meaning, you don't need to open the apps and re-sign in and set them up one by one again..
    Anyone who has done a hard reset can guarantee that it works. ;)
    08-01-2014 12:45 AM
    It also depends if the app/game was written to support backing up its data in this way.
    ScottGeek likes this.
    08-01-2014 05:07 AM
    I've not noticed anything lost or missing, with a minor exceptions of a game progress, some notifications, and passwords you have to re-enter... the trick, as many will tell you, is to make sure you execute the hard reset to get to the restore. And of course, that all important initial main backup you do BEFORE you start mucking about with downgrading, updating, and hard resetting. You have to make absolutely sure you get that snapshot of your apps/data... or you will have nothing to recover to.

But Yes, I got my Home Screen back. I did a backup before I downgraded and restored as part of a hard reset after Cyan/WP 8.1 update.

~ScottGeek.
    Last edited by ScottGeek; 08-01-2014 at 08:49 AM.
    08-01-2014 08:16 AM
    It also depends if the app/game was written to support backing up its data in this way.
    Indeed it does... I have only one real game that I did loose some progress with... but I know that if I had progressed and saved from another device (i.e. my PC or RT tablet) I would not have even lost that. Turns out the last play time was done on my phone... But in the scope of things... not a huge deal.

Poorly written apps that don't save either app data to the cloud or at least in some "data-app" location that's back'ed up via the OS... yeah, it will be gone.

~ScottGeek.
    08-01-2014 08:22 AM
    A hard reset works.... guarantee? Too many variables to say that there would Never be an issue. And if you do the restore as part of the hard reset, you will get only as good as what you backed up. With that said, are there risks? Absolutely...

The question you have to ask... is what's so important on your phone that would cause you major issues/stress/life ending whatever to loose? If that exists for you, then you need to have a smart strategy where you keep that important stuff somewhere else off your device.

For example, photos... it's a big deal for me. I would never only keep them on my phone. It's such an important element to me, I have photos automatically pushed to more than one place off my phone.

And yes, there are always exceptions that can occur... poorly written apps that don't save themselves... taking a photo and before it pushes itself to a safe location... you drop your phone in the Atlantic (yeah that one's fun).

~ScottGeek.
    08-01-2014 08:42 AM
    I installed GDR1 update today on Cyan firmware

​Initially I decided not to update as I am worried about heating issues with 8.1 update previously on Black firmware
    08-04-2014 03:21 PM

~ScottGeek.

Update: Since GDR1 has become available... I jumped back on DP and updated to GDR1... I've really been wanting to see the Live/Folder tiles... I LIKE!! Now I need to stop playing with my Home screen and get back to work...

wp_ss_20140805_0002.jpg
    sez who likes this.
    08-05-2014 08:43 AM
    I updated to Cyan and just updated to the Dev GDR1 yesterday. I have experienced TWO phone reboots since the update......worrying as I have never had my 1520 reboot at all.
    08-05-2014 11:15 AM
    For anyone who rolled their 1520 back to 8.0 to get Cyan, did apps that you had installed on a memory card work fine if you take out the memory card for the rollback?

I have a couple games installed from the Gameloft promo that I'd prefer not to lose.
    08-05-2014 08:11 PM
    For anyone who rolled their 1520 back to 8.0 to get Cyan, did apps that you had installed on a memory card work fine if you take out the memory card for the rollback?

I have a couple games installed from the Gameloft promo that I'd prefer not to lose.
    The ones I have on the SD seem to work fine... with that said... some had to do some "App Updates" before the icon would stop "ghosting" and actually run. With games (and other apps) that get "De-Listed" in the app store or the promo ends.... downgrading and wiping to get to 8.1/Cyan you COULD loose those. I would double check that those games are still in the app store or are still available in promo just to be safe. Some folks have posted complaints about this loosing of some types of games that have left the app store or they can't get a promo copy.

Another thing I noticed, not necessarily related to rollback -> 8.1/Cyan Update, some app developers remove an apps ability to run on the SD... you see this when the app wants/needs to update and runs into an issue because it's installed on the SD card... the only work-around that I found for these is to move them back to the phone and do the update.... and of course the updated app will not allow you to move it back to the SD card (yeah, I thinking that's not good).

~ScottGeek.
    08-06-2014 07:17 PM
    Update: Since GDR1 has become available... I jumped back on DP and updated to GDR1... I've really been wanting to see the Live/Folder tiles... I LIKE!! Now I need to stop playing with my Home screen and get back to work...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20140805_0002.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	310.8 KB 
ID:	75278
    So YOU'RE the one who uses AT&T Navigator!
    08-06-2014 07:24 PM
    So YOU'RE the one who uses AT&T Navigator!
    Nah, it's just there sucking up space at the moment no one has been able to pull my Android phone with Google Maps for navigating from my hands yet....

~ScottGeek.
    08-07-2014 12:45 PM
    The ones I have on the SD seem to work fine... with that said... some had to do some "App Updates" before the icon would stop "ghosting" and actually run. With games (and other apps) that get "De-Listed" in the app store or the promo ends.... downgrading and wiping to get to 8.1/Cyan you COULD loose those. I would double check that those games are still in the app store or are still available in promo just to be safe. Some folks have posted complaints about this loosing of some types of games that have left the app store or they can't get a promo copy.

Another thing I noticed, not necessarily related to rollback -> 8.1/Cyan Update, some app developers remove an apps ability to run on the SD... you see this when the app wants/needs to update and runs into an issue because it's installed on the SD card... the only work-around that I found for these is to move them back to the phone and do the update.... and of course the updated app will not allow you to move it back to the SD card (yeah, I thinking that's not good).

~ScottGeek.
    Strangely, the install files are still available on WP.com for manual install, but the store on my phone doesn't let me install through there. (for the ones I "purchased" but didn't install)
    08-07-2014 08:00 PM
    I Have a Problem. I Have a Nokia 1520 RM-937 with WP 8.1 Update 1 DevPreview but with Lumia Black, then I connected the phone to the Nokia Software Updater For retail and just let me do Reinstall the version WP 8.1 update 1 (1028.3563.1402.0003) not the WP8.
    How I can return to the WP 8.0 version for get Lumia Cyan?
    Thanks
    08-07-2014 10:36 PM
    Strangely, the install files are still available on WP.com for manual install, but the store on my phone doesn't let me install through there. (for the ones I "purchased" but didn't install)
    Yeah, developers (the one who make apps available for install from the store) can de-list their apps (this can be why they disappear). It can get confusing when the same app can be picked up from like WP.com for installing (or side-loading as an Android person would call it).

Is installing an app outside the store a "bad" thing? Well it depends, outside the store app will not get "update pushes" -this is a function of the store- unless the app has built-in version checking (most don't), but if an app has been "de-listed" it may not show up in the store again. Yes, not always a perfect world depending on what the developer does.

~ScottGeek.
    08-08-2014 02:08 PM
    I Have a Problem. I Have a Nokia 1520 RM-937 with WP 8.1 Update 1 DevPreview but with Lumia Black, then I connected the phone to the Nokia Software Updater For retail and just let me do Reinstall the version WP 8.1 update 1 (1028.3563.1402.0003) not the WP8.
    Thanks
    You may have to wait for the non-rollback fix which is reported to be in the works or find a source for the 8.0 version... But I'm curious, Did you try to re-install 8.1 from the Nokia Updater, then check for a phone update? You might try that... just make sure you don't get back on DP before you see if your carrier has a update (i.e. the Cyan firmware) available.

The DP OS update 8.1 comes from a different source than what the Nokia 8.1 comes from... Now understand, it may not work. But if you have a backup and are not too concern about the potential of losing a game or a promo app... and of course you have the time for waiting on the downloads... you might give it a try.

~ScottGeek.
    08-08-2014 02:18 PM
    I just did a downgrade/upgrade/restore process on my 1020 and my start screen was not restored. I ran the backup right before I started the downgrade. I was originally on DP running 8.1 GDR 1, with a group of tiles created, so I wonder if that breaks the start screen restore to pure Cyan (8.1 no GDR1).

To clarify, I did get the correct tile view (more tiles) and the correct background picture, but not the tiles themselves - only the default live tiles are there.

People on the GDR1 preview might want to remove any tile groups, or else upgrade to GDR1 and then do a reset and restore.
    08-15-2014 04:03 AM
    Thanks
    Try opting out of DP, and try again. I know for me, it never showed the DP version. Only the released version.
    08-17-2014 02:16 PM
    I guarantee that it works...For me that is.
    08-17-2014 02:19 PM
    In browsing through some of these posts, I think some of you don't realize that using the Nokia Software Recovery Tool, you might get WP 8.1 with Cyan directly now depending on your phone and carrier. You may no longer need to rollback to 8.0. That is particularly true for the 1520. You will still lose all the data on the phone, similar to a hard reset. If were running developer preview Update 1/GDR1 and wish to return to it after flashing Cyan/8.1, do the following: connect WiFi, login to your Microsoft account but don't restore backup. After it finishes installing system apps, install the Preview for Developers app, launch it and log in and enable it. Then check for phone updates again. After this is completed, perform a hard reset, log in to your Microsoft account and assuming you backed up your apps and settings prior to flashing Cyan/8.1, you will now be able to restore from your backup you previously had with Update 1/GDR1 including the start screen layout.
    08-17-2014 02:34 PM
58 123