Did anyone rollback to 8.0 then get the cyan update then went back to dev preview?

AndyD33

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
The ones I have on the SD seem to work fine... with that said... some had to do some "App Updates" before the icon would stop "ghosting" and actually run. With games (and other apps) that get "De-Listed" in the app store or the promo ends.... downgrading and wiping to get to 8.1/Cyan you COULD loose those. I would double check that those games are still in the app store or are still available in promo just to be safe. Some folks have posted complaints about this loosing of some types of games that have left the app store or they can't get a promo copy.

Another thing I noticed, not necessarily related to rollback -> 8.1/Cyan Update, some app developers remove an apps ability to run on the SD... you see this when the app wants/needs to update and runs into an issue because it's installed on the SD card... the only work-around that I found for these is to move them back to the phone and do the update.... and of course the updated app will not allow you to move it back to the SD card (yeah, I thinking that's not good).

~ScottGeek.
Strangely, the install files are still available on WP.com for manual install, but the store on my phone doesn't let me install through there. (for the ones I "purchased" but didn't install)

Josexandthecity

May 17, 2014
Visit site
I Have a Problem. I Have a Nokia 1520 RM-937 with WP 8.1 Update 1 DevPreview but with Lumia Black, then I connected the phone to the Nokia Software Updater For retail and just let me do Reinstall the version WP 8.1 update 1 (1028.3563.1402.0003) not the WP8.
How I can return to the WP 8.0 version for get Lumia Cyan?
Thanks

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Strangely, the install files are still available on WP.com for manual install, but the store on my phone doesn't let me install through there. (for the ones I "purchased" but didn't install)

Yeah, developers (the one who make apps available for install from the store) can de-list their apps (this can be why they disappear). It can get confusing when the same app can be picked up from like WP.com for installing (or side-loading as an Android person would call it).

Is installing an app outside the store a "bad" thing? Well it depends, outside the store app will not get "update pushes" -this is a function of the store- unless the app has built-in version checking (most don't), but if an app has been "de-listed" it may not show up in the store again. Yes, not always a perfect world depending on what the developer does.

~ScottGeek.

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I Have a Problem. I Have a Nokia 1520 RM-937 with WP 8.1 Update 1 DevPreview but with Lumia Black, then I connected the phone to the Nokia Software Updater For retail and just let me do Reinstall the version WP 8.1 update 1 (1028.3563.1402.0003) not the WP8.
Thanks

You may have to wait for the non-rollback fix which is reported to be in the works or find a source for the 8.0 version... But I'm curious, Did you try to re-install 8.1 from the Nokia Updater, then check for a phone update? You might try that... just make sure you don't get back on DP before you see if your carrier has a update (i.e. the Cyan firmware) available.

The DP OS update 8.1 comes from a different source than what the Nokia 8.1 comes from... Now understand, it may not work. But if you have a backup and are not too concern about the potential of losing a game or a promo app... and of course you have the time for waiting on the downloads... you might give it a try.

~ScottGeek.

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I just did a downgrade/upgrade/restore process on my 1020 and my start screen was not restored. I ran the backup right before I started the downgrade. I was originally on DP running 8.1 GDR 1, with a group of tiles created, so I wonder if that breaks the start screen restore to pure Cyan (8.1 no GDR1).

To clarify, I did get the correct tile view (more tiles) and the correct background picture, but not the tiles themselves - only the default live tiles are there.

People on the GDR1 preview might want to remove any tile groups, or else upgrade to GDR1 and then do a reset and restore.

drtek

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks

Try opting out of DP, and try again. I know for me, it never showed the DP version. Only the released version.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
In browsing through some of these posts, I think some of you don't realize that using the Nokia Software Recovery Tool, you might get WP 8.1 with Cyan directly now depending on your phone and carrier. You may no longer need to rollback to 8.0. That is particularly true for the 1520. You will still lose all the data on the phone, similar to a hard reset. If were running developer preview Update 1/GDR1 and wish to return to it after flashing Cyan/8.1, do the following: connect WiFi, login to your Microsoft account but don't restore backup. After it finishes installing system apps, install the Preview for Developers app, launch it and log in and enable it. Then check for phone updates again. After this is completed, perform a hard reset, log in to your Microsoft account and assuming you backed up your apps and settings prior to flashing Cyan/8.1, you will now be able to restore from your backup you previously had with Update 1/GDR1 including the start screen layout.

LTTG

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
8 -> 8.1 -> 8 -> 8.1 -> 8 -> 8.1 -> 8 -> Cyan -> 8
I'll never update to 8.1 AGAIN, terrible battery life...

alex athanasopoulos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I was on wp8.1 preview and when i saw that the official cyan update was available I decided to use the Nokia software recovery tool and I installed immediately the wp8.1. Obviously then I enrolled again to preview developers and got the gdr1.

P.s I didn't have to roll back to the wp8.0 and I didnt do a hard reset, as some other users say. The battery now in the wp8.1 is as good as I was in the wp8

Inocencio Sanchez

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Purchases are tied to your Microsoft account, so you won't lose anything. Though if you have purchased an app that is only available for 8.1 or above, you obviously won't be able to download it until you're using 8.1 again.
Thanks dude i assume that my app won't be vanish and have it install again when i rolled back as long as the app is available in wp8. Right?

CnastyU

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I didnt roll back anything or reset anything. Just downloaded the updates on the dev preview when it asked and it installed fine. I havent noticed anything change or any errors so seems good here. Battery life is phenomenal on this device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon