Still worth getting the 1520 now?

johnj2803

May 16, 2014
Visit site
This device was released October 2013. With the 1525 rumor mill unclear if when the next one is released, I just don't want to have this device and less than 5 months the new one is here.

I'm on att if that matters.

Guidos Dad

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
You can always be waiting for that next device. If something looks good to you get it. Processor, RAM. Etc the 1520 has more than enough power to run anything on WP8.1 if bigger amount of internal drive storage (32gb) is a must then wait for the 1525 which I've read would have that. Unless a person wants to store a bunch of video or have a lot of memory eating games on the phone, most people I think would find 16gb with the SD that the 1520 has will do just fine fore storage needs.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I just got my 1520 and feel I have a "current" phone now... (coming from a 1020) The 1520 has the same tech as the newest 930, so it still feels fresh.
That said, I have an upgrade available on another line with AT&T that I'm holding out on.. For the new phones that come out this fall (hopefully a 1020 successor!) Microsoft Mobile better come out with something good if they want my money... especially if there's an "iPhone 6" floating around!

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
You can always be waiting for that next device. If something looks good to you get it. Processor, RAM. Etc the 1520 has more than enough power to run anything on WP8.1 if bigger amount of internal drive storage (32gb) is a must then wait for the 1525 which I've read would have that. Unless a person wants to store a bunch of video or have a lot of memory eating games on the phone, most people I think would find 16gb with the SD that the 1520 has will do just fine fore storage needs.

I've gotta agree. Im as big a electronics geek as anyone. And I used to worry about having the latest and greatest. Now, I'm at a point in life where I've realized I'm the one that loses in this rat race. You don't get to enjoy what you have worrying about the next thing. So I'm fine using a device til it truly needs to be replaced.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't matter how old the 1520 is, it's still king of the heap, and will be for a little while.... Released nearly a year ago, but can still keep up with the current crop of Android phones.....

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes. It's still a really good phone. Don't think about getting the latest always. If that's how you look at things, you'll never be able to buy a phone because you'll be worrying about the next one before you can even buy. New phone models are released every now and then. That's how things go. The best thing to do is get the best one for the time being, so you won't lag far behind when a new one is out.

Tyler Swindell

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
The Lumia 1520's specs are great, but the design is something that's obsolete now. Starting with the Lumia Icon earlier this year, they changed the design of the Lumia. And with the Lumia 930 taking away Verizon branding and introducing new colors, it is carrying on this new design. The silver band around the device is very nice, no other Lumia carries that.

If you saw the leaked pictures of the Lumia 830, it carries the same silver band around the device, similar new back plate. It is something to appreciate, they are starting a newer design similar to the Surface or the iPhone, they've carried the same predictable design since the N9, and while it worked well on that phone, their Lumias have looked fat because of it, for example the Lumia 920.

I have the Lumia 1520 now, but as soon as I can get my hands on a new Lumia with this new design, I don't care if the specs aren't better, as long as it specs equal to or greater than the 1520, minus the 6 inch screen, I'd rather have a 5 inch screen considering the store apps aren't optimized for it quite yet, then I'd go and trade mine in.

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Why wait??? There will always be new models coming out. I love my 1520 and it is the best phone I have ever owned!

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Better screen? How so?
Tryed finding the article comparing the two that I read last week and can't find it for the screen comparisons. Maybe it was false info. The article had said the 1520.3 had an ips LCD while the 1520 had an amoled. From searching again that may be false. Sorry. I know the 1520.3 has double the storage, qi charging, and lte. I'll have to search more tommorow to confirm the screen info. For now disregard.

ashyk36

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I bought my Lumia 1520 last week. I must say, normally I wait for the latest tech, however this phone will not be outdated in terms of specs for some time.

subcon959

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
If you want a phone now then get the 1520. If you are happy to wait several months then do that. It's up to you really, I don't think anyone else can really help with this decision as only you know what you want/need.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Tryed finding the article comparing the two that I read last week and can't find it for the screen comparisons. Maybe it was false info. The article had said the 1520.3 had an ips LCD while the 1520 had an amoled. From searching again that may be false. Sorry. I know the 1520.3 has double the storage, qi charging, and lte. I'll have to search more tommorow to confirm the screen info. For now disregard.

All 1520 variants are on IPS LCD screen, but some have only 16G internal storage w/o QI charging built in.

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 1520's specs are great, but the design is something that's obsolete now. Starting with the Lumia Icon earlier this year, they changed the design of the Lumia. And with the Lumia 930 taking away Verizon branding and introducing new colors, it is carrying on this new design. The silver band around the device is very nice, no other Lumia carries that.

If you saw the leaked pictures of the Lumia 830, it carries the same silver band around the device, similar new back plate. It is something to appreciate, they are starting a newer design similar to the Surface or the iPhone, they've carried the same predictable design since the N9, and while it worked well on that phone, their Lumias have looked fat because of it, for example the Lumia 920.

I have the Lumia 1520 now, but as soon as I can get my hands on a new Lumia with this new design, I don't care if the specs aren't better, as long as it specs equal to or greater than the 1520, minus the 6 inch screen, I'd rather have a 5 inch screen considering the store apps aren't optimized for it quite yet, then I'd go and trade mine in.
Lumia 1520 > 930

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ah.. Yeah, false info. All 1520 models have the same exact IPS LCD screen. (and all have LTE)

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I've gotten interested in technology lately, specifically the massive database of new and upcoming mobile devices. Reading about the 1520 was one of my favorites, and still is. Released at a time where 6 inch screens weren't quite accepted(people change their minds so easily), the performance and quality of the 1520 blew away any Windows Phone that had ever existed. Even with the 930 released, I firmly believe the 1520 still holds the throne of Windows Phones. Just be careful with the screen, as Nokia decided it would be better if it was Gorilla Glass 2(who knows why). And it is a beautiful screen at that. Great colors, contrast. Blacks could use work but for what it is this is a fantastic screen. We can't expect an IPS LCD to quite compete with the deep blacks of an AMOLED.
Ranting aside, this phone is amazing. If you want a Windows Phone, this is the best choice there is. Don't wait for an upgraded model, this phone will last. It comes with the well known Nokia label of durability.

bigmoneymike

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I just purchased the 1520 a couple of weeks ago, and I have not been able to get used to the size of the device. It's a lot bigger then I thought. Also, Glance is kind of a let down because of the LCD screen. Meaning, it's very dim and there is no way to adjust the brightness, in an effort to save battery. The size of the device, makes it very hard to type with one hand. Another quirk is that some text is optimized for the big screen - like Outlook and the notification center, but other text is not (keyboard/WhatsApp). It's not a bad device though. It's super fast, and the screen is awesome.

Just my two cents... I would love to see a good mid range Lumia for about $300 / $350 off contract with a 5 inch AMOLED HD screen, 1 or 2GB RAM, and maybe a Snapdragon 600 quad core (1.5 year old technology to save money, but respectable - Samsung GS4, HTC M7 use this CPU) SoC. I think, that should be doable and I bet would sell pretty well.

The moral of the story, you might want to take a trip to an AT&T store and handle the device. Because, pictures do not give the whole picture. Don't be like me and order sight unseen. :wink:

Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3