No clue what I'm gonna do....

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't have insurance on my 1520 but for whatever reason the phone's mic/reception sucks at my house. Everyone else at my house who has att(Mom has a 1020 and bro has a 930 unlocked on Att and little brother has 630) they have much better reception. I am on developer preview and I can't downgrade. I think DP might be the reason.

This is my 2nd 1520(3rd if you count the fact I actually had to replace my first 1520 i got back in Launch Day Nov 2013 due to a bad Mic, i couldn't use it unless it was on speakerphone). Overall the phone itself is great and this is literally the first phone(I've owned at least 50 over the last 4-5 years, that i've kept for almost a year.

I am actually kind of proud of myself. That shows I truly Like Windows Phone/Lumia...because Lumias are the best.

I am considering using one of the upgrades on my line and going to get the 1520...I do want it in Green. The fact of the Matter is, Ehh.....I'll be stuck with that phone for 12 months(I am doing Att next).

Is it crazy to get ANOTHER 1520?
I'll be real...I have no interest in an M8. HTC is irrelevant to me so no point in waiting.

I like the Lumia 730 Camera on front but not enough to downgrade to it or the 830.
If the Icon was here, I'd definitely get that.

I looked at Android Phones briefly and none of them are of interest to me. I even considered Apple's iPhone 5s to give it a go(i know the 6, 6 plus are coming out but i can't rationalize downgrading from 20 megapixel to 8 megapixels).

In truth I love my 1520 and I don't MIND another one but I want to get one with a little better reception. I think it is the Developer's Preview that is screwing me over tbh.

Is it crazy to get ANOTHER 1520(my 3rd lol)...even if i truly love the phone lol.

I thought about cheaping out and get a Nokia 630 but i was like ehhh.(I do still have my 920 for ffc stuff) just until next hardware comes out in 2015 but I honestly think the 1520 is a future proof windows phone till at least late 2015- early 2016 with its specs.

nyjets12

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
if your phone is under 1 year old you can get it fixed from nokia or at&t. I just got mine a month ago at the at&t store they told me it's a 1 year warranty for both nokia & at&t. if you send it in to at&t they'll send you a another one but they put a charge on your cc till you send yours to them. they didn't say how nokia works.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Software Recovery Tool will ONLY give you the latest, approved OS and Firmware.

Delete Preview for Developers app... Back up phone... Let NSRT download the file and flash your phone.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't use Nokie Recovery Tool.

- Donwload NaviFirm+, type your phone Product Code and download the firmware (and you'll have a backup for the future).
- Install Nokia Care Suite, Open it and select "Product Support Tool For Store 5".
- Select Work offline, then File and Open Product, type RM-940 (for the AT&T version, or the RM for your phone) and Open.
- Select Programming -> Recovery -> Start and wait for the verification until the "Recovery" window appear.
- With your phone off, press and keep pressed the volume off key and plug the USB cable, when the phone vibrate click on "Retry" ans wait.

That's all, your phone will restart on Cyan.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I downgraded mine from DP to Cyan... I guess you are doing something wrong.

Nokia Software Recovery Tool will ONLY give you the latest, approved OS and Firmware.

Delete Preview for Developers app... Back up phone... Let NSRT download the file and flash your phone.

Ah it had confused me a bit because it showed the current version in my phone lol. I did manage to downgrade back to the Original 8.1 with Cyan for att and it seems to be doing a lot better.

As much as I love getting new features, I think from now on I am going to have to wait for the official versions because DP always screws with my phone.

As soon as i switched back to the official firmware, people said I sounded fine and i had very little dropped calls since then.

I pretty much told myself that it is really crazy of me to buy ANOTHER 1520, even if i do love this phone just to get a Green one :p

So i am stuck with my pikachu.

Besides, when i tried to trade it in(i didn't mind paying an installment plan still) to get a new phone, i found out i can't until I do the original commitment boo :/

But yeah my 1520 is working fine and I think the issue was DP and I am back on Regular Cyan. I hope they don't take too long with Update 1.....

(Of course if Windows phone 9 comes out, i may have to deal with **** poor reception to get that big update. But No more DP for these little update 1, 2, thingies)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Dude, your crazier than me!

I think your problem has to do with the fact that DP is OS update only and missing the firmware that updates the radio.

It is strange that this is literally the same phone I have owned for almost a year. That has never happened lol. I really do love my 1520 :) though I am getting bored with it these days as well since I want something new :p

But yeah I figured that as well. While reception is still shaky, the fact it has the official radios has made a much better experience

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It is strange that this is literally the same phone I have owned for almost a year. That has never happened lol. I really do love my 1520 :) though I am getting bored with it these days as well since I want something new :p

But yeah I figured that as well. While reception is still shaky, the fact it has the official radios has made a much better experience

Want to really scratch that itch?

My best advice... Get a used Nexus 4. Dabble with Xposed Framework on stock Android, try flashing alternate OS choices like: Firefox OS, Ubuntu for Devices, Sailfish OS, LuneOS (you'll have to really hunt for that one :wink:)...

That will keep you busy (Nexus 4 is the most ported to device out there ATM) and your 1520 stays as a daily driver.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Want to really scratch that itch?

My best advice... Get a used Nexus 4. Dabble with Xposed Framework on stock Android, try flashing alternate OS choices like: Firefox OS, Ubuntu for Devices, Sailfish OS, LuneOS (you'll have to really hunt for that one :wink:)...

That will keep you busy (Nexus 4 is the most ported to device out there ATM) and your 1520 stays as a daily driver.

But I hate android lol. I'm probably getting an iPhone 6 or 6 plus

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Point is, with a Nexus 4 you can try out at least 4 cutting edge mobile OS that are NOT Android.. I don't know of a way to do that with any other phone....

To each their own, I suppose. I found great satisfaction in it and enjoyed the best of Android that way (the modding and flashing, not the actual Android OS).

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

But be mindful of the fallen fruit. 6" down to 4.7/5.5 may be a bit jarring. It was hard for me when I went from the Titan to the 920 (4.7 -> 4.5). I never got over the smaller screen, even though it was only .2" and always wanted my larger screen back. Also you lose OIS unless you go to 5.5 and as you mentioned, you definitely lose 12MP. The microSD expansion of the 1520 will always trump price gauging of the 32MB/128GB set memory of the iPhone.

I have a 1520 and did the DP to get 8.1 without Cyan. Then I just had to NSRT to get Cyan due to extenuating circumstances. ( I bought a Miracast dongle, but couldn't use it) Now I am extremely hesitant and probably will not go back to DP because it doesn't update firmware and I lost a lot of game data and an app by reflashing the phone.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
But be mindful of the fallen fruit. 6" down to 4.7/5.5 may be a bit jarring. It was hard for me when I went from the Titan to the 920 (4.7 -> 4.5). I never got over the smaller screen, even though it was only .2" and always wanted my larger screen back. Also you lose OIS unless you go to 5.5 and as you mentioned, you definitely lose 12MP. The microSD expansion of the 1520 will always trump price gauging of the 32MB/128GB set memory of the iPhone.

I have a 1520 and did the DP to get 8.1 without Cyan. Then I just had to NSRT to get Cyan due to extenuating circumstances. ( I bought a Miracast dongle, but couldn't use it) Now I am extremely hesitant and probably will not go back to DP because it doesn't update firmware and I lost a lot of game data and an app by reflashing the phone.

I was playing with the 5s in my local store and I was like wow this small as heck but form using it, it was smaller but it was...compact? Like when I use my mom 1020, it feels weird...because it is smaller but the 5s, while much smaller, still didn't feel to weird. Idk why though. :/

I probably will continue doing previews because now I'm still having signal issues so that isn't the issue I'm thinking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon