Seriously considering getting a 1520 (1520.3 RM-938), but have a couple questions

jeff92k7

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
I currently have an iPhone 5c and am seriously considering switching to a 1520 (1520.3 RM-938, if it matters). I played with one at a windows store and loved it. I thought it might be a bit too big before I saw it in person, but it wasn't as big as I thought. It fit my large hands very well. Further, since I only use a phone for talking on average of about 10 minutes a week, but as a PDA/tablet for multiple hours a week, I figured the large size of the 1520 would actually be better for my needs.

However, I have a couple of questions before making the switch.
1. I realize this phone is about a year old. That doesn't bother me in itself. I don't really subscribe to the American selfishness of wanting to have the latest and greatest all the time. I prefer what works for me. With that said, my current plan is to keep the phone for a while. So.... Has there been anything said about Windows 10 being ported down to phones like the 1520? I'd hate to buy one, planning to use it for a couple of years, only to find out that the latest OS isn't available to me when it is released next year. I know windows 10 will run on smart phones, but I specifically want to know if anything has been said yet about the 1520 running Win10.

2. A more general Windows phone OS question. I've run through all the apps I use on the iPhone and all but three are available on Windows phone (or have an acceptable 3rd party alternative). However, one that I'm not too sure about is family tracking. I currently use Apple's 'Find My Friends' to track family locations. Is there a good 3rd party, cross platform family tracking app available? It would need to run on Windows Phones AND have an iOS equivalent so I can install it on the kid's devices, unless there is an app that can actually access Apple's location tracking directly.

Thanks,
Jeff

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
1. I having the same concerns about Windows 10 availability for current Windows Phones. But if there's a phone right now that is most likely to be able to handle newer operating system versions (including Windows 10), it is the L1520 considering its specs compared to existing Lumias. :wink:

2. I use Life360 Family Locator and it has been great so far ever since I installed it. I don't own any apple device (even if the rest of my family, my girl friend and her two sisters do), so I can't compare this with what you have been using. Life360 is available both in Windows Phone and iOS (not sure if it is in Google Play).

P.S. You must have really big hands; I'm a pianist with an octave+2 reach, but I still find the L1520 a bit too large for me.:cool:

jeff92k7

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't know that my hands are that big, but they are large. I was surprised that the 1520 wasn't bigger than it is, based on all the comments I read before seeing it. Really, the only thing it might be too big for is fitting comfortably in my pocket while driving. It nearly fills up my front pocket on my jeans, leaving little room to bend the legs to sit down. Since I find myself using my small 4" iPhone with two hands most of the time, using two hands with a Phablet isn't a concern.

Thanks for the tip about life360...that definitely looks promising.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I see. Looks like a promising phone for you, then. But you may want to know that there have been reports of L1520 screens cracking and breaking because of the torsion it experiences while being kept in one's jeans... so you may want to keep your soon-to-be L1520 away from your front pocket. With these, I wish you the best of luck and welcome to WP! :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon