Notice the phone Joe B used to demo W10?

pwrof3

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Frustrating because the 1520 featured at the event today was the RM-938, which I would now buy in a heart beat if it were sold in the US. I had some worries about it being too big before, but the adjustable keyboard puts those worries to rest.

How do you know it was the rm-938? And what does that even mean? :)

Loc Ngo

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Forget about the Surface phones whatsoever. If there exists a super high-end phone from Microsoft that would top all other phones at the time it comes out (yes, that includes the 2 others), it should be from the glorious Lumia 15xx series. I've never been more proud of my phone than today. Lumia 15xx lives on.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Forget about the Surface phones whatsoever. If there exists a super high-end phone from Microsoft that would top all other phones at the time it comes out (yes, that includes the 2 others), it should be from the glorious Lumia 15xx series. I've never been more proud of my phone than today. Lumia 15xx lives on.

How cool would it be if it was a surface phone, had the same build as a surface, with a built in kickstand. I think that would be pretty slick

MrRichardF

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Basically all that Lumia 1520 RM-938 means is that the phone comes unlocked and Qi Wireless Enabled. The AT&T version has the Qi replaced with PMA which requires a case (it's why the the three metal dots are on the back of the phone). I'm not actually sure, but it appears that the model (better picture of it's backside. The 1520 in the photo on Daniel Rubino's most recent article doesn't seem to have the metal dots on the back, which leads me to believe it's the RM-938.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I noticed his 1520 didn't suffer from any of the hardware defects that others have complained about on this forum.

His would not. It would have been thoroughly tested before the presentation. That said I am not sure the problems with the 1520 are as widespread as may think they are based on what we see and read here. Its really a damn good device!

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I noticed his 1520 didn't suffer from any of the hardware defects that others have complained about on this forum.
That was pretty unbelievable but then again I had a Corvair back in the day and it would sometimes go weeks without flipping over in a turn. Miracles do happen.

Nalin Khanduri1

May 29, 2014
Visit site
If you read the verge news,then you should had seen at the last of the page.A windows 10 document was opened in a lumia 630 or 35.
Good news for Low end device holders too.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, it was really the only option for him to use. The size let him show off things like the shrinking keyboard for one-handed typing. It's the only large-screen device running the Snapdragon 800 SoC (with the 930 being the only other Lumia). Honestly, the 930 would be the only option, and it just wouldn't pop like the 1520 would on-stage.

The thing is barely relevant now. It wasn't highly successful. The green variant was already retired by AT&T. Its SoC is almost 2 years old (released Q2 2013). The only reason it's a high-end Windows Phone is because Microsoft completely bypassed any flagship release in 2014. Negligence is why it's relevant to the platform, and I can't help but hope MWC leads to a 1530 (and a 940, if not a 1030) that puts this thing to shame, carrying a Snapdragon 810 and its big.LITTLE octa-core setup.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Well, it was really the only option for him to use. The size let him show off things like the shrinking keyboard for one-handed typing. It's the only large-screen device running the Snapdragon 800 SoC (with the 930 being the only other Lumia). Honestly, the 930 would be the only option, and it just wouldn't pop like the 1520 would on-stage.

The thing is barely relevant now. It wasn't highly successful. The green variant was already retired by AT&T. Its SoC is almost 2 years old (released Q2 2013). The only reason it's a high-end Windows Phone is because Microsoft completely bypassed any flagship release in 2014. Negligence is why it's relevant to the platform, and I can't help but hope MWC leads to a 1530 (and a 940, if not a 1030) that puts this thing to shame, carrying a Snapdragon 810 and its big.LITTLE octa-core setup.
And yet...despite what you refer to as its irrelevance, it was the medium that afforded you a glimpse of W10.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I haven't heard a hint of anything from Win10 that suggests that improvements have been made which will enhance the phablet experience. Obviously, not everything was revealed so perhaps it is coming later. Regardless, that is something I really hope to see from MS.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Basically all that Lumia 1520 RM-938 means is that the phone comes unlocked and Qi Wireless Enabled. The AT&T version has the Qi replaced with PMA which requires a case (it's why the the three metal dots are on the back of the phone). I'm not actually sure, but it appears that the model (better picture of it's backside. The 1520 in the photo on Daniel Rubino's most recent article doesn't seem to have the metal dots on the back, which leads me to believe it's the RM-938.

sorry but my AT&T has the 3 dots in the back and it does NOT have the Qi charging... also my phone is the RM-940 1520.2 version... so I don't know why your coming to this conclusion...

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
And yet...despite what you refer to as its irrelevance, it was the medium that afforded you a glimpse of W10.

What's your point? I mean, they could have shown off Windows 10 on other devices, given the limited feature set that they previewed. They could have run the 1320 out there to show off the adjustable keyboard, and most any Windows Phone device could have shown off the things like the notification center, general UI, and settings.

The device is large and vibrant as an on-stage model, and the screen size shows off a keyboard trick which might or might not be available on the smaller devices. Again, all the 1520's presence did is acknowledge Microsoft's sheer lack of quality devices. I mean, they had to use a device Nokia developed and released because they've so far been incapable of releasing a flagship, or any high-quality device.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I thought it was a great way to show the existing 1520 owners that their phones weren't going to become obsolete once the new OS is released.

...and they did announce that new flagship Windows 10 phones were coming.

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
sorry but my AT&T has the 3 dots in the back and it does NOT have the Qi charging... also my phone is the RM-940 1520.2 version... so I don't know why your coming to this conclusion...
Well, because you have the ATT version.. It doesn't have Qi charging. It's also not the RM938. So I'm confused what conclusion you're coming to. Since what he said and and you said are the same...
Help a brotha out!

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Well, because you have the ATT version.. It doesn't have Qi charging. It's also not the RM938. So I'm confused what conclusion you're coming to. Since what he said and and you said are the same...
Help a brotha out!

because he came to the conclusion that it was an international RM938 version with Qi charging, because he saw the 3 metal dots on the back of the phone, well my phone has the 3 dots and it isn't a 938 version nor does it have the Qi charging... which is what I was saying brutha

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon