Nokia 1520 in 2016 Thoughts?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Nokia 1520 in 2016 Thoughts

Just bought a Nokia 1520 after reading and watching many review. Even though the phone is a few years old it still seems, to still hold it's own now in 2016. My questions are this..

1. Apart from a few specs does the 1520 compete favourably with the 950XL.
2. Is it possible to get some Android apps,as I do miss a couple of games I used to have
3. Will the 1520 improve with updates from Windows 10.

Thank you.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nokia 1520 in 2016 Thoughts

I think it does. I've been using 1520 since August 2014. I could not find a compelling reason to upgrade to 950 XL.

2. Is it possible to get some Android apps,as I do miss a couple of games I used to have

Not at this time. It looks like adding in Android Apps is now a nixed plan. There is still hope for ports of iOS Apps though.

I sure hope so. I expect the device to remain relevant. It certainly can leverage the new OS better than the 550, 650 and Alcatel OneTouch Fierce XL which all came preconfigured with W10M.

Congrats on a smart choice. My Beast Phone has done me proud thus far and I expect nothing but good times with 10.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Peter Harvey

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Just bought a Nokia 1520 after reading and watching many review. Even though the phone is a few years old it still seems, to still hold it's own now in 2016. My questions are this..

Thank you.
Toda

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I bought my Lumia 1520 back in July 2014 and it's still holding up really well today.

Camera is still great (though I'm itching for a 950 because of the camera upgrade)
Everything else is still running along nicely, playing games like Dungeon Hunter 5 smoothly.

If you can find a good deal, I'd say go for it.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I brought a 1520 just a few weeks back and in all honesty, it does work amazingly.

No it doesn't have continuum like the 950s, the higher specced processor the 950s, the higher res screen and camera improvements but its processor still holds up well and its camera is still a beast in its own right.

For those who want a high end experience but not at the high price of the 950s, the 1520(and even the 930) are two choices I recommend.

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Totally agreed with everyone here... My view of it is.. Specs dont mean a jot.. and WP is still the smoothest and fastest most reliable OS out of the 3 of them, even Android fans wont deny that one.. but if the phone does exactly what you want it too and it does it great without a hitch... as the 1520 does.. then IMO, why worry if its outdated or not.

The only Android ide ever consider now would be the S6 edge plus

However, personnally, I would hold off on Win10 update right now.. Ive gone back to 8.1 Denim... theres a few things such as.. SMS/Text notifications not showing up at all untill you physically open Texts and notice they are there.. and in current build 164.. i cant seem to find a way to activate SMS notify.

Ive had a few tiles lock up so the apps dont open and sometimes the battery is good, but I find it better on 8.1.

Or at least hold off until you get to know how your 1520 performs

Youve meade a great desicion.. the 1520 is an awesome device..

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Totally agreed with everyone here... My view of it is.. Specs dont mean a jot.. and WP is still the smoothest and fastest most reliable OS out of the 3 of them, even Android fans wont deny that one.. but if the phone does exactly what you want it too and it does it great without a hitch... as the 1520 does.. then IMO, why worry if its outdated or not.
The only Android ide ever consider now would be the S6 edge plus
However, personally, I would hold off on Win10 update right now.. Ive gone back to 8.1 Denim... ..

The 1520 running WP8.1 is still the best most reliable Windows phone available, the 950/950XL with Win 10 is a mess and when it comes to being a "Flagship" phone it pales in comparison to the 1520, still can't believe they put a cheap, flimsy back cover on their "flagship phone" .. Sadly the Windows Phone app gap and beauty of the S7 Edge lured me away, if you thought the S6 Edge was nice you'll love the S7 version, incredibly fast & smooth, gorgeous phone aesthetically(prob best looking phone ever produced) and the Camera is the fastest and best I've ever seen in a Smartphone..

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I went from a 1520 to a 950XL, and whenever I pick up my old 1520 I still like it's solid feel and the much more premium feeling side buttons. I also prefer its IPS screen compared to the AMOLED on the 950XL. The 950XL does have some advantages, but if you don't mind the size of the 1520 it's definitely the much better deal.

I listed some differences here.

EnemyNSA

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
I had a 1520 for a couple years, but over time it developed some of the standard issues (phantom touch, disappearing buttons, etc), so when the 950 came out I decided I'd upgrade. I used the 950 for about 2 months before I dropped it and cracked the screen. I didn't have $$$ to get it fixed (and Palcotech didn't even have parts TO fix it) so I went back to the 1520. I ended up using it for a few more months until I dropped it as well (seriously man, get it together!).

Faced with either ponying up to fix the 950 (~$200) or buy a 'like new' 1520 replacement (~$150-$200).. I opted to get another 1520.

I got a basically brand new RED 1520 (with a case and screen protector this time) and holy moly, this phone is awesome again. I'd forgotten how great it was with all the issues my old 1520 had. Without those, and with Windows 10 .164.. it flies. The 1520 just feels SO solid. It's a little bigger than I'd like, I think the 950XL is the sweet spot size wise, but otherwise it's great. Battery is still pretty good, not as amazing as it was on 8.1, but still decent.

Now I'm thinking I may just use 1520's until the next Lumias are announced. A couple hundred $$$ every year or so for an off-contract phone isn't too bad... hopefully there's still some good stock left out there.

Luckman

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for help with my questions I'm glad I picked the 1520, always had a soft spot for both Nokia and large phones. I do miss some of my apps that I used to have I have checked on the Windows store, but unfortunately they are either not there or a different version that isn't quite the same. I was close to getting the 950XL but the 1520 was a no brainer, for the ?190 I paid in VGC with original box & items :amaze:

05Paris

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
A few months back my Lumia Red 1520 failed to charge. First I tried placing the phone on a cloth protecting in from a bag of ice and the phone would charge but finally that technique would no longer work. I didn't want to shell out the coins the 950XL required so instead I purchased the 640 XL and it seemed to work just fine. I was happy with it but I could tell the big difference from the 1520. Then I came across a used BLK 1520 that was in great shape and cost only $180 so I took the plunge. I now know what everyone says to be true, you can never go backward because you will never be satisfied. This phone is truly an amazing device!

So I sold my sister the 640 XL and thought the world was all back in order. Until...I plugged the old Red 1520 up with the charger that came with the BLK 1520 and low and behold it began to charge! I have now used it for the past few days and it seems to work great! Now I am the proud owner of two 1520s. I think I will save the Red 1520 for games, special apps, videos and pictures. I can now be sent carrying the two of them around like the biggest nerd ever but at least a happy nerd none the less.

Mike Nelson5

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Nokia 1520 in 2016 Thoughts

I have a 950xl and a 1520 and can tell you it is the best windows 8.1 device period its a great phone if you dont want to pony up for the 950xl the 1520 is the only way to go. I am a long time user of the 1520 it seems as though it was build beyond its time. the screen is amazing and I still think the sunlight readablity is still the best experiance of any smartphone even today. You made a good choice my 1520 is running the latest redstone build flawlessly. I upgraded to a 950xl 2 weeks agao and while it was a adjustment at first I am really loving the 950xl the camera is amazing and the phone is so light

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes