Nokia Lumia 2520: User Reviews

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Another 2520 owner here. You can disregard the advice to "avoid" the tablet. Put your hands on one and compare it yourself. I find the 2520 to be a phenomenal device. Quick, responsive and overall gorgeous in its display. Nokia didn't "rush" anything here. It is a solid device with a growing group of satisfied owners, as you can see here. :)

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If you've never used a windows tablet you might want to stay away from the 2520 device. Nokia obviously did a rush job pushing this device out. Factor in the screen lag, Bluetooth issues, power adapter issues, total lack of support from Nokia and third-party manufacturers, this device has fail written all over it. If you want a RT device try the Surface 2 or pro.

Amazing display, ultra fast charging, beautiful slim design, great front speakers, very fast operation, long battery life, Here Maps app... It does not look like it is a tablet they did a rush job on to me. The issues you mention are not on all units. Mine is almost 2 months old and flawless. I agree the app store is not mature yet. If the 2520 and the new Surface 2 are successful, I am sure the app marketplace will grow. I have all the apps I need. I wanted the best display, thin design, and GPS, so the Lumia was a better choice for me.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Another 2520 owner here. You can disregard the advice to "avoid" the tablet. Put your hands on one and compare it yourself. I find the 2520 to be a phenomenal device. Quick, responsive and overall gorgeous in its display. Nokia didn't "rush" anything here. It is a solid device with a growing group of satisfied owners, as you can see here. :)

I was going to comment but basically you said what I have found to be the case with the 2520

I love it. I'm not a big app user whether it be on my phone or tablet.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Unless you're living under a rock, you would know there are only two choices in a RT tablet device.

One has a full USB port,one doesn't.
One has a responsive browser that doesn't require multiple taps to register a response,one doesn't.
One has an adjustable built in kickstand,one doesn't.
One has lightweight optional backlit keyboards, one is struggling to release an overweight, cumbersome keyboard.
One turns on and off,and manages power correctly, one gets stuck in sleep mode and can't power on.
One has easily accessible charging,one has proprietary charger with limited accessibility if broken or lost.

If you haven't already spent your money there is only one choice in a RT device, that is the Surface 2 or Pro.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
One has an ultra-bright display (and tested as one of the best tablet displays by display mate), one doesn't
One will charge in a little over an our due to a proprietary charger, one doesn't (USB port would not supply enough power)
One has 4G LTE if you want wireless data, one doesn't
One has GPS and Here maps included, one doesn't
One will have over 15 hours of battery time and another 2 USB ports when the powered keyboard comes out, one doesn't

Most of your statements are correct. But the Lumia 2520 has its advantages are well. The comments about the power issues do not apply to all 2520's. Mine is flawless. And I read Nokia is aware of the issue and working on a fix. On the browser responsiveness, that would not be a hardware issue but an OS or IE issue (both Microsoft), so I would not blame Nokia. I would expect those issues to be addressed with updates. I agree the delay in getting the keyboard out is not good, and it will be bigger and heavier, but it will add more USB ports and more battery life. The bottom line is that they are both excellent tablets, each with their separate advantages, depending on what is more important to the buyer. The fast charging, superior display, GPS, and future ability to use 4G if I wanted to (I bought off contract) were more important. And I think it looks and feels sleeker. For others the keyboards, kickstand, and slightly lower price are more important. So if you want an RT device, there really are 2 great choices, and if you want a full 8.1 tablet, there are a lot of great choices, including the Surface Pro, of course.

json jett

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Still waiting for the promotional, free keyboard promised within six weeks; at which point delivery was extended another two weeks. I cannot really review the device without its keyboard; yet for mere consumption I prefer it to Surfaces but not iPads

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Still waiting for the promotional, free keyboard promised within six weeks; at which point delivery was extended another two weeks.
The free keyboard promotion always had a wait time of "six to eight weeks" - not simply "six weeks". If the wait goes up to 8 weeks or longer, then you've got a valid complaint. I'm hoping that no one who submitted forms for the free keyboards will have that problem (including myself). That said: Why do you feel that you really cannot review the device without the keyboard? It's quite possible that folks will want to use it without the keyboard for various reasons. In my case, I find the on-screen keyboard to be every bit as good as the one on the Windows Phone 8 platform. It does have the disadvantage of taking away portions of the screen, true. If you rotate the tablet from Landscape to Portrait (so that it is taller than longer, for those playing at home) the keyboard's screenspace will have less of an impact and also makes 2-thumb typing a good deal easier. :)

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Having 4G LTE as an option is a plus if you need it,most would pass on that option.

The battery life on the Surface 2 is superior to the 2520, which battery life is based on having the screen at less than optimal brightness settings.

The difference in screen is great for reviews,but the reality is both are great looking,but only the Surface screen functions properly. Here maps isn't anything to write home about, Bing maps is just as usable. But there is nothing about the 2520 that comes close to the innovation that is built into the Surface 2.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Having 4G LTE as an option is a plus if you need it,most would pass on that option.

The battery life on the Surface 2 is superior to the 2520, which battery life is based on having the screen at less than optimal brightness settings.

The difference in screen is great for reviews,but the reality is both are great looking,but only the Surface screen functions properly. Here maps isn't anything to write home about, Bing maps is just as usable. But there is nothing about the 2520 that comes close to the innovation that is built into the Surface 2.
Responding in order of posting:

1. "Having 4G LTE as an option is a plus if you need it,most would pass on that option."
The Cellular modem is one of the stronger arguments for the 2520. Every Surface/Surface Pro/Surface 2/Surface 2 Pro owner I've ever met has wistfully stated that they wished for a model that had a cellular modem option.

2. "The battery life on the Surface 2 is superior to the 2520, which battery life is based on having the screen at less than optimal brightness settings."

http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/lumia-2520-vs-surface-2-understanding-trade-offs To quote Paul Thurott, who's rather on top of the industry when it comes to calling out advantages/disadvantages in the Windows market:

"Battery life. Neither of these devices is any slouch, and both will soon have additional battery life offerings via special keyboard adapters. We need to give the Lumia 2520 a slight edge on battery, but I don't think this will matter much in the real world. Still: Lumia 2520 for the win."

So you should probably take the argument about battery life out of the equation. When that "large, cumbersome" keyboard releases, the battery life on the 2520 will outstrip the Surface 2 by a HUGE margin since there is no comparable power option available for the Surface 2.

3. "The difference in screen is great for reviews,but the reality is both are great looking,but only the Surface screen functions properly"

This is an opinion and not a fact. For some, the screen on the 2520 looks awesome and operates properly. I'm sorry that you have had a bad experience but it's just not accurate to say that one is better than the other without some kind of facts behind it. Right now, there are only guesses and conjecture around the causes which can include problems in the OS itself.

4. "Here maps isn't anything to write home about, Bing maps is just as usable. But there is nothing about the 2520 that comes close to the innovation that is built into the Surface 2."

I'm lumping your last two statements together. Once again, those are purely your own opinion, possibly darkened by your own poor experience with the device. I cannot blame you for being frustrated but not everyone has had a bad experience as you have. Your opinion is that the Surface 2 is better than the 2520 - That was clear from the other post to this thread that now appears to have been deleted. I hope that you are able to purchase a Surface 2 and enjoy that device because it is, indeed, a worthy purchase. But so is the Nokia Lumia 2520. It just wasn't the right one for you.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
The 4G LTE is a definite advantage for those who need it. Outside of 4G and Nokia apps there just doesn't seem like a logical reason to choose the Lumia over the Surface. My opinion has nothing to do with frustration. Every retailer I visited that sells both devices I've found the same screen lag issue with the Lumia device,and the screen not powering up problem is well documented.Getting the USB to function also seems to be a frustrating experience based on the forums. With the limited app selection and function of Windows RT, it only makes sense to choose the obvious superior device since your selection is limited to only two choices. Also, Microsoft can give you in store support which is a game changer in my book. As far as deleted post are concerned, I've deleted no previous posts. When it comes to battery life, several reviews give the Surface an edge in battery life,and Microsoft is releasing a power keyboard that will also add additional life as well as bulk to their devices. The bottom line is having to tap on links and images several times to get a response is annoying enough to ruin any user experience regardless of tablet features.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
And yet we see forum entries such as those here that are positive as well as this one: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-2520/258800-my-2520-experience.html

So while your issues/concerns aren't without merit, it's not appropriate to try to scare others into choosing the path that you seem to wish that you had originally taken. Again: I don't blame you for being frustrated, but I do insist that telling others that this tablet is without merit and that there is only "1" choice is inappropriate since others should make informed choices. Your feedback certainly can help, so thank you for sharing. The positive feedback from happy Lumia 2520 owners also helps.

I again wish you the best of luck with acquiring a Surface 2 and hope you find that it is everything that you wish the 2520 was. Good luck!

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have a question, My wife asked me how to get the keyboard up when she was in desktop using the browser and wanted to put an address in the bar, first i said why are you using desktop?..I got that look so, I didn't go there...but I'll be damed if I couldn't get it up as well. other than that this tablet rocks. I enjoy the 2520 much better than my surface.

Glenmore Vinoya

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
On the system tray there should be a keyboard icon to bring up the keyboard in desktop. But it's not a good experience since almost half of your screen will be covered.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I have a question, My wife asked me how to get the keyboard up when she was in desktop using the browser and wanted to put an address in the bar, first i said why are you using desktop?..I got that look so, I didn't go there...but I'll be damed if I couldn't get it up as well. other than that this tablet rocks. I enjoy the 2520 much better than my surface.

The 2520 I used isn't here but just tapping on the address bar might bring it up. If not there may be an icon in the lower right hand corner to bring up the keyboard. On the 2520 running RT the keyboard seems to pop up a lot when you need it. In desktop mode on a Dell Venue 8 Pro running Windows 8.1 I find I need to tap the keyboard icon in the lower right hand corner a lot to make the keyboard appear. Anyway I am sorry for you and your wife you can't "get it up."

Every retailer I visited that sells both devices I've found the same screen lag issue with the Lumia device,and the screen not powering up problem is well documented.Getting the USB to function also seems to be a frustrating experience based on the forums. With the limited app selection and function of Windows RT, it only makes sense to choose the obvious superior device since your selection is limited to only two choices. Also, Microsoft can give you in store support which is a game changer in my book. As far as deleted post are concerned, I've deleted no previous posts. When it comes to battery life, several reviews give the Surface an edge in battery life,and Microsoft is releasing a power keyboard that will also add additional life as well as bulk to their devices. The bottom line is having to tap on links and images several times to get a response is annoying enough to ruin any user experience regardless of tablet features.

Sorry for you bad experience. I didn't experience any of that. I gave my dad a 2520 and he loves it. Good luck waiting for the Microsoft power keyboard you have to pay for. My dad is currently enjoying the free battery/keyboard I got with the special Nokia offer. He also uses a full size keyboard and mouse with his 2520 via a fully functional USB port. I've never seen the guy so excited about a piece of tech. I'm sure the Surface 2 is great but my Dad loves being able to have the internet anywhere. He is smiling from ear to ear.

And really if you are on a family share plan and bought a 1520 at the same time you could have bought a 2520 for $200 with free keyboard and then paid only $10 a month to dip into your 10 GB monthly data allotment. So $200 + $10x24= $440. Current price of Surface 2? $449 with no keyboard, no extra battery capacity, no LTE, and no data. It took me ten seconds to get my Dad the 1520 and 2520 deal. No brainer.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

In addition to the one on the desktop task bar there are times you need the on screen keyboard but it doesn't come up because there is no mechanism to tell the tablet that the physical keyboard is in "inactive mode" such as when laying the tablet over the keyboard. Just swipe in from the right to get the charms bar, select settings, then keyboard and a list of available keyboards is presented.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Oh no, I haven't had any issues with my 2520 we figured out the keyboard issue in desktop. Its a fingerprint magnet but I expected that. I took the $399.00 red off contract. Simply because its nice to have sitting on the coffee table. Granted it's not blazing fast like our main rig. But that wasn't what we had in mind. Just to be able to hit the net to do email or see a movie while the big boss has one of her shows on. In work I'm WiFi perfect there if I care to Take it with me. I think for the First time around making a tablet Nokia did a great job.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon