02-03-2014 06:59 PM
55 123
tools
    I tried with a Western Digital Passport 500GB model. I can't remember if then power supply was plugged in at the time. I'll give it another try,and share the results.
    12-06-2013 10:13 PM
    I tried with a Western Digital Passport 500GB model. I can't remember if then power supply was plugged in at the time. I'll give it another try,and share the results.
    Please. thx!
    12-06-2013 10:19 PM
    This one works:

Amazon.com: White Color Micro USB 3.0 9pin OTG Host Flash Disk Cable for Samsung Galaxy Note3 N900 N9000 10cm: Cell Phones & Accessories

By "works," I mean it will allow you to charge/sync your phone or mount a usb flash drive, but won't power an external HD.
    I bought this one: Afunta 15CM Standard USB3.0 Female to Micro USB 3.0 Male OTG(On-The-Go) Cable for Samsung Galaxy Note3 N9000 N9002 N9005 and it will only charge my Lumia 920. It won't connect with the phone, USB memory stick, or a hard drive. It doesn't matter if the power is plugged into the 2520 or not.
    Last edited by GizmoEV; 12-08-2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: fix typos
    12-08-2013 03:36 AM
    I bought this one: Afunta 15CM Standard USB3.0 Female to Micro USB 3.0 Male OTG(On-The-Go) Cable for Samsung Galaxy Note3 N9000 N9002 N9005 and it will only charge my Lumia 920. It won't connect with the phone, USB memory stick, or a hard drive. It doesn't matter of then power is plugged into the 2520 or not.
    this is a fickle port. Nokia should have released their own adaptor.
    daelumia and TechFreak1 like this.
    12-08-2013 06:36 PM
    I got the same one works perfect on my 2520
    12-09-2013 08:58 AM
    hmm...I got one that looks just like that, and it does not work for me.. I have an OTG cable on order to see if that will work... should have it any day.
    12-09-2013 10:18 AM
    How can we contact a mod and have them merge the three threads together? My head is beginning to spin ;)
    trywithaustin likes this.
    12-09-2013 12:06 PM
    which functions work? Can u connect to a external hard drive?
    12-09-2013 05:35 PM
    Ok, I purchased a standard USB 3.0 micro to USB adapter (looks exactly like the one that somebody posted above that he says is working), and it did not work. It would not beep or do anything when I plugged in any flash drive. I just picked up this OTG cable from Ebay, and it works, just like the white one that another poster bought on Amazon. Every flash drive I plug in does not work. Most of them do, and one of the says it is not recognized, but works perfectly. There could be a delay of 10 to 15 seconds before the drive pops up, especially for a larger drive. The ones that do not work either show the drive, but I get an error when I open it, or it says it cannot recognize it and it does not hsow up in File Explorer, though I can click to safely remove it. So I do not believe we have a hardware issue. The fact that several of my drives do not work could mean there is a driver issue, though I have often heard of issues from techs I support who have problems with flash drives, and formatting them with the HP Flash utility fixes them, so I may try that with the drives I have issues with. I do note that this cable connection at the 2520 seems to be a little looser than the adapter I bought. but that does not seem to be an issue. I am just glad I do not feel I have a hardware issue on the USB port and do not have to worry about returning it since otherwise it has been perfect.

Micro USB 3 0 9pin OTG Host Flash Disk Cable for Galaxy NOTE3 N9000 Black 9 Inch | eBay
    12-09-2013 06:10 PM
    Ok, I purchased a standard USB 3.0 micro to USB adapter (looks exactly like the one that somebody posted above that he says is working), and it did not work. It would not beep or do anything when I plugged in any flash drive. I just picked up this OTG cable from Ebay, and it works, just like the white one that another poster bought on Amazon. Every flash drive I plug in does not work. Most of them do, and one of the says it is not recognized, but works perfectly. There could be a delay of 10 to 15 seconds before the drive pops up, especially for a larger drive. The ones that do not work either show the drive, but I get an error when I open it, or it says it cannot recognize it and it does not hsow up in File Explorer, though I can click to safely remove it. So I do not believe we have a hardware issue. The fact that several of my drives do not work could mean there is a driver issue, though I have often heard of issues from techs I support who have problems with flash drives, and formatting them with the HP Flash utility fixes them, so I may try that with the drives I have issues with. I do note that this cable connection at the 2520 seems to be a little looser than the adapter I bought. but that does not seem to be an issue. I am just glad I do not feel I have a hardware issue on the USB port and do not have to worry about returning it since otherwise it has been perfect.

Micro USB 3 0 9pin OTG Host Flash Disk Cable for Galaxy NOTE3 N9000 Black 9 Inch | eBay
    Any luck with external drives?
    12-09-2013 06:29 PM
    I tried connecting an external drive that had a 90g SSD in it, even with the power attached to the Lumia 2520, and it did not recognize it. I did have luck moving 20 or 30g of pictures and music to my 64g micro SD installed in the tablet using the OTG cable though, so it is working well.
    12-10-2013 04:32 AM
    apologises to add to the thread. will be picking up a Lumia 2520 in the next few days and planning to get a micro SDHC card and also an adapter for USB. With all of the problems with USB 3.0 adapters I'm wondering whether until it's solved it might just be worth getting a USB2.0 adapter (as my USBs and hard drives are only USB2.0). any thoughts between the two adapters? the USB 3.0 one looks similar to one above.

USB 3.0
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pUvbUpU2254984

USB 2.0
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pUvbUpU2254984
    12-10-2013 03:08 PM
    So I was finally able to try my WD Passport with the 2520 power adapter plugged in. It spins up, is recognized, but doesn't mount. When I looked it up in the device list and ran the troubleshooter, it said it was a driver issue. That's as far as I can take it as it appears it is not supported on RT...
    12-11-2013 12:23 AM
    I would go with the USB 3.0 cable for future capability. It should work with USB 2.0 3.0. I have not seen that anybody has been successful getting a USB HDD to work yet, though.
    12-11-2013 03:00 AM
    It WORKS!!!! Yesterday's updates must have installed the proper drivers and now I can successfully mount things to the USB port. I just now hooked up my 920 and a screen popped up on the desktop saying installing the necessary files. I can browse and load things on the phone now and the Windows Phone app automatically installed.
    I have connected to a SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro 8GB and both the main "drive" and the U3 "CD Drive" mounted. I also a Seagate FreeAgent Go 500GB hard drive with out any issues. This was all done without the power plugged into the tablet.

The cord I used was what I posted in post #28.

I just tried an LG Portable Super Multi Drive DVD drive and it mounts just fine and works even without having to plug the second USB plug into a power source. Sweet! Now if I could find a DVD Video player app that would make this a nice small portable video player.
    Last edited by GizmoEV; 12-11-2013 at 09:13 PM. Reason: added info about DVD drive
    12-11-2013 08:44 PM
    The updates did nothing for my non-OTG adapter. I still don't understand why they set the port up to default to a client rather than a host.

Also, I read each and every pending update's kb entry and none of them made mention of fixing this issue.
    12-11-2013 10:06 PM
    I went to the Samsung store inside of Best Buy and bought the genuine Samsung OTG USB 2.0 cable for $19 and it works with a wireless keyboard/mouse dongle. I haven't tried any HDD with it. I am not sure why people are doing this race to the bottom buying a bunch of $5 and $6 cables from amazon. Given the issues people are having spend a little more dough and get one quality cable/adapter and be done with it. I will get the USB 3.0 adapter when it is available and relegate the 2.0 adapter to the Dell Venue 8 pro.

I don't see the cable on the Best Buy website so you will have to disconnect yourself from the internet and go into the physical store! Oh no!!!

I will try the cable/adapter with a power HDD over the weekend and report back.
    12-12-2013 03:44 PM
    I received this today:

Amazon.com: VicTsing Micro USB Host OTG Cable - Micro USB B/Male to USB 3.0 A/Female OTG Host Cable for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9000: Cell Phones & Accessories

It works perfectly with my 1520, as well as my Passport WD40 external hard drive.
    Citizen X and TechFreak1 like this.
    12-12-2013 04:45 PM
    is your drive a USB 3 or USB 2 model? post #43 here seems to work with USB 2 external drives.
    12-14-2013 05:37 PM
    This one works:

Amazon.com: White Color Micro USB 3.0 9pin OTG Host Flash Disk Cable for Samsung Galaxy Note3 N900 N9000 10cm: Cell Phones & Accessories

By "works," I mean it will allow you to charge/sync your phone or mount a usb flash drive, but won't power an external HD.
    I bought this one and it works for connecting USB 2.0 devices (thumb drives, kb, mouse), but I'm worried it might not be USB 3.0. It doesn't have the telltale blue on the inside of the Type-A connector. I'll have to look at it in more detail to see if all the extra USB 3.0 pins are present. Unfortunately I don't have any USB 3.0 devices to give it a proper test.
    12-16-2013 08:42 PM
    I just got an OTG adapter at Fry's Electronics yesterday that works. Micro USB Male to USB Female OTG Adaptor (Typo is direct from the packaging) Cable. It's USB 2 with a micro connector on one end and a female standard USB port on the other end. I plugged in a Toshiba 640gb external drive and it immediately recognized it and I was able to get to all the files and move them back and forth. I did not have to plug the tablet into a power supply.otg-cable-n2520.jpg
    Last edited by mcraine; 01-05-2014 at 01:08 PM.
    01-05-2014 12:56 PM
    Got this one

Amazon.com : Afunta 15CM Standard USB3.0 Female to Micro USB 3.0 Male OTG(On-The-Go) Cable for Samsung Galaxy Note3 N9000 N9002 N9005 : Computer Cable Usb To Usb Adapters : Computers & Accessories

will recognize usb 2 device, like WD external HDD, USB key drives, can charge the L1020.

But wont recognize usb 3 drive (WD 2TB my passport drive). I tried updating driver via the wizard, but no luck.

Still have another usb adaptor to try soon.

anyone with luck on usb 3 devices?
    01-08-2014 01:19 AM
    Got this one

Amazon.com : Afunta 15CM Standard USB3.0 Female to Micro USB 3.0 Male OTG(On-The-Go) Cable for Samsung Galaxy Note3 N9000 N9002 N9005 : Computer Cable Usb To Usb Adapters : Computers & Accessories

will recognize usb 2 device, like WD external HDD, USB key drives, can charge the L1020.

But wont recognize usb 3 drive (WD 2TB my passport drive). I tried updating driver via the wizard, but no luck.

Does it work if the tablet is plugged in to power?
    01-08-2014 02:22 AM
    Got this one

i got the same and its recognize my Samsung 1TB 3.0, the tablet give you a warning, however you can open and modify your files
    01-08-2014 04:44 AM
    i got the same and its recognize my Samsung 1TB 3.0, the tablet give you a warning, however you can open and modify your files
    on mine it says USB device not recognized.

found this site that reports the problem w surface, when upgraded to 8.1

there is a work around to this issue:

http://www.surfacetablethelp.com/201...ndows-8-1.html

will give this a try tonight and see.
    01-08-2014 06:12 PM
55 123