03-22-2014 12:49 PM
37 12
tools
    A picture which is stored on my phone appeared on my screen with what looked like someone typing away "vwowvwowv". This was displayed as a comment below the photo. The phone was only connected to a 3g signal and not to WIFI. Question is, is this possible? Maybe a faulty phone? If so what can I do to prevent this from occurring again? - I did a factory reset, which on another note took all night :-(
    Last edited by Bighead81; 03-20-2014 at 04:41 AM.
    03-20-2014 04:31 AM
    Hey, just to keep worries off other fellow Lumia owners, lumias are next to impossible to hack ! :)
    Dont worry, i didn't really get what you said, but still, its an extremely unlikely scenario that your phone was hacked. I know something about how os are organized/operate, and to me, i dont see a way anything can hack your phone and operate it...
    So dont worry fellas, lumias are fully secure :) (unless you were using teamviewer maybe :)) i dont know about it)
    03-20-2014 04:43 AM
    Can you post the picture ? I don't get what your case is but WP8 hacks are still an incomplete milestone for hackers.
    xandros9 and Live2Deliver like this.
    03-20-2014 05:13 AM
    Not being a learned 520 owner yet, I would start suspecting everything you have downloaded or installed lately via the browser. Any non-app-store apps?
    03-20-2014 01:28 PM
    Not being a learned 520 owner yet, I would start suspecting everything you have downloaded or installed lately via the browser. Any non-app-store apps?
    dont worry many, firstly, wp8 doesn't get hacked. An app can access only a bare minimum of your data. Secondly they cannot run in the background. Thirdly, there's no way to install non-store apps like in android. Welcome to the safe world of windows phone and forget lagdroid now ! :)
    03-20-2014 04:00 PM
    Windows may get some viruses and worms, but windows phone doesn't. :)
    03-20-2014 04:06 PM
    Maybe this can help understanding the "reality" about mobile hacking :

Can a Windows Phone Become Hacked?

Allthough a WP is less likely and probable to be hacked, as shown in that report, the reality is that WP also has some vulnerabilities that hackers COULD exploit. The OS does have less of them than iPhoam and Androth, and so it really isn't very likely to be hacked, no doubt.
    But saying it is "impossible" is getting a little too far ahead of yourself ;-)
    03-20-2014 05:55 PM
    this is not related but, i find you avatar disturbing, i mean, how can you do that to that poor Lumia? even if it's photoshop its still torture.
    03-20-2014 11:02 PM
    Maybe this can help understanding the "reality" about mobile hacking :

Can a Windows Phone Become Hacked?

Allthough a WP is less likely and probable to be hacked, as shown in that report, the reality is that WP also has some vulnerabilities that hackers COULD exploit. The OS does have less of them than iPhoam and Androth, and so it really isn't very likely to be hacked, no doubt.
    there might be loopholes, but none which can allow someone to use your phone remotely, and then even click a screenshot of it (I'm beginning to understand what he had mentioned in the first post. My explanation: he was drunk one night, and was typing anything and everything, and was pressing all buttons (or maybe had some reason to press power+win) and got a hangover in the morning.
    P.s. Please dont get offended if you dont drink.
    03-21-2014 12:25 AM
    Nothing is impossible, but some things are simply not achieveable.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk Beta
    03-21-2014 01:23 AM
    Nothing is impossible, but some things are simply not achieveable.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk Beta
    +520
    And i had said "next to impossible"...
    03-21-2014 02:57 AM
    Why does Steve Jobs looks so natural holding a WindowsPhone?? :p
    03-21-2014 07:39 AM
    Because Windows Phone has their windows closed??? RIIIIGHT?
    03-21-2014 07:44 AM
    It might happen in real, but I really LOL when some people just start a new thread as their first post in the community with something they saw on phone and then they disappear and never come back to comment :-)
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    03-21-2014 08:03 AM
    windows phone hacked ? that must be a android phone with windows phone theme\launcher
    03-21-2014 11:03 AM
    People seem to forget that a couple of years ago there was an SMS vulnerability discovered on Windows Phone that allowed hackers to carry out a denial-of-service attack on the device. No system is perfect. Where there is a will, there's a way. ;)
    jojoe42 likes this.
    03-21-2014 11:09 AM
    I think a more simple possibility is that there is something on the screen that the 520 is interpreting as a finger touch and it is randomly being interpreted by the system. I've had this happen to me when I was working out, sweating hard and took a call. Afterwards, the phone was doing weird things until I wiped my sweat off.

Just a thought.
    jojoe42 likes this.
    03-21-2014 12:49 PM
    Why does Steve Jobs looks so natural holding a WindowsPhone?? :p
    Shhh

Sent from my Xbox One using WPCentral Forums
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    03-21-2014 01:09 PM
    this is not related but, i find you avatar disturbing, i mean, how can you do that to that poor Lumia? even if it's photoshop its still torture.
    :(

Sent from my Xbox One using WPCentral Forums
    03-21-2014 01:10 PM
    I think that the OP saw his Facebook tile displaying the notification that someone commented vvowwov or whatever was displayed there, on one of his pics on FB, which happens to be stored on his phone as well -_-
    03-21-2014 01:35 PM
    Yes same problem! We use our 520 (new around 4 weeks ago) just for the internet sharing. Tonight it started playing music on its own. When we went over to look what was going on (thinking its was an incoming call or something) the music app was being accessed and the keyboard was up and typing all by itself.

Has scared the crap out of us. Manage to hold down the power button and it 'fought' to bring the slide up to shut down option, eventually we won!

Rang three mobile and they said it cannot be hacked. What we saw was the phone being controlled in an extremely logical way (not like it was going crazy or flipping out or anything).

Crazy - unless I saw it I just would not believe it possible - until now!
    03-21-2014 01:46 PM
    Yes same problem! We use our 520 (new around 4 weeks ago) just for the internet sharing. Tonight it started playing music on its own. When we went over to look what was going on (thinking its was an incoming call or something) the music app was being accessed and the keyboard was up and typing all by itself.

Has scared the crap out of us. Manage to hold down the power button and it 'fought' to bring the slide up to shut down option, eventually we won!

Rang three mobile and they said it cannot be hacked. What we saw was the phone being controlled in an extremely logical way (not like it was going crazy or flipping out or anything).

Crazy - unless I saw it I just would not believe it possible - until now!
    Sure thing Mr. 1st post troll.

As has been pointed out, due to many security features it is not happening. People cannot even jailbreak a phone they're holding (with the exception of editing a few resource files) let alone some remote control exploit...
    03-21-2014 03:03 PM
    Lol. Someone with no posts shows up and says their 520 was hacked. All long time forum members say no way and then what do ya know another person with zero posting history shows up to corroborate the first guy's story.

Just a hint if you have zero posting history and your first post is going to be my windows phone got hacked save yourself the effort. No one believes you.
    jleebiker and Rafael Yousuf like this.
    03-21-2014 03:08 PM
    Saying you are going to hear about it from some guy with no posting history is "getting a little too far ahead of yourself ;-)."
    03-21-2014 03:10 PM
    Lol. Someone with no posts shows up and says their 520 was hacked. All long time forum members say no way and then what do ya know another person with zero posting history shows up to corroborate the first guy's story.

Just a hint if you have zero posting history and your first post is going to be my windows phone got hacked save yourself the effort. No one believes you.
    Rather than discussing whether the phone was hacked or not let's focus our attention towards what the alleged hacker meant by typing "vwowvwowv". :P
    P.S Here comes a reply from another one with zero postig history :P
    Last edited by AnkitV; 03-21-2014 at 09:12 PM.
    03-21-2014 08:59 PM
37 12