Want search key button to bring up Google

jmagill01

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
From my research so far, I have gone to Settings / Internet Explorer / Advanced and changed the Default search provider to Google. The search key still defaults to Bing.

I did read somewhere that if after changing the default to Google (as described above) and then under Language and regions, changing the language to Russian, then the search key will bring up Google. True. It does. But then the language is indeed Russian, and I can't find alt choices for language once there.

If there is not a way, I already have Google pinned. It would just be nice to have a use for the search key button.
Thanks,
Jerry

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
hold search key/windows key and say: start google. The google app will then start. That's probably you're best alternative.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that button's behavior was ever changeable.

Well, 8.1 lets you indirectly toggle between the old Bing one and Cortana.

but still, I dont think it can be switched.

I kinda miss the old days of programmable buttons.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think Bing is getting better... I'm trying to let it steal me away from Google search, but it is very hard.

​I have a Google tile pinned. That's a viable option.

jmagill01

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I just tried to email Nokia about this issue. I couldn't find an email on their site, so I googled it to find an email support address. I filled in all the questions. One was to enter my email and then reenter it. When I hit Submit, it said the 2 emails did not match. But they did. I retyped them anyway. Same problem. I used a different email. Same problem. I hit refresh, and started again. Same problem.
This was at... EmailUsResponsive - Nokia - USA

Does anyone know different link to emailing Nokia support?

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Its not really a support issue. It's a feature request really. And while technically easy to implement, I can't see it happening.
Bing is better than Google after you let it build up a bit of knowledge.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Its not really a support issue. It's a feature request really. And while technically easy to implement, I can't see it happening.
Bing is better than Google after you let it build up a bit of knowledge.

​And you can sign up for Bing Rewards (as I did) to encourage that use...

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
MS left it out because it is a Windows Phone, with Bing. Why would they want to push Google services? It makes no sense...
Android doesn't give an option to use Bing, so why shouldn't MS play the same game? I'm looking forward to the almighty Google versus Microsoft 'punch up'... About time.

Just pin "google.com" to your Start screen from IE... Done!!!!

sicnus

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
It would be cool but yeah, never happen. You can change your search engine for when you search from the address line, that's enough. Now the search button suits me as a screen blank for when someone is being nosy when I'm on my phone. Pretty pictures!

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
MS left it out because it is a Windows Phone, with Bing. Why would they want to push Google services? It makes no sense...
Android doesn't give an option to use Bing, so why shouldn't MS play the same game? I'm looking forward tothe almighty Google versus Microsoft 'punch up'... About time.

Just pin "google.com" to your Start screen from IE... Done!!!!

Because unlike MS services which USA centric Google offer better quality to all countries not just US.

That is why still more than half of WP users use Google as search engine despite MS forcing them to use Bing.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Because unlike MS services which USA centric Google offer better quality to all countries not just US.

That is why still more than half of WP users use Google as search engine despite MS forcing them to use Bing.

It's not about 'forcing' them to use Bing at all.
Why can Google/Android omit a search option for Bing, or actively block it in some cases, as they are trying to sell Google services, but MS cannot do the same as Bing is their service. You don't know much about business, do you??

All Google offers is more 'hits', most of which are advertising or sites with nothing to do with the original; search. At least Bing will try and filter the '****' from the chaff, so to speak

MS are playing hardball now, and I love it...

If you want to use Google, then type 'google.com'. It's pretty easy....

The fact is the default hardware key is Bing, as it should be. I'm sure MS will NOT be offering other search engines as an alternative... Android certainly doesn't. Why should MS?

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Stop being a lazy *****....all you have to do is open IE & type google.com.... & seeing as Google refuses to develop any official apps for WP, I choose to deny them the opportunity of snooping into my life.

Bing is progressing, albeit at a slow pace, but should pick up once Cortana is on more devices.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Stop being a lazy *****....all you have to do is open IE & type google.com.... & seeing as Google refuses to develop any official apps for WP, I choose to deny them the opportunity of snooping into my life.

Bing is progressing, albeit at a slow pace, but should pick up once Cortana is on more devices.

So you hate Google because they refused to develop apps for WP.
Then you should also hate MS because they also refused Linux.

In term's of market share of WP and Linux their aren't any big difference.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
It's not about 'forcing' them to use Bing at all.
Why can Google/Android omit a search option for Bing, or actively block it in some cases, as they are trying to sell Google services, but MS cannot do the same as Bing is their service. You don't know much about business, do you??

All Google offers is more 'hits', most of which are advertising or sites with nothing to do with the original; search. At least Bing will try and filter the '****' from the chaff, so to speak

MS are playing hardball now, and I love it...

If you want to use Google, then type 'google.com'. It's pretty easy....

The fact is the default hardware key is Bing, as it should be. I'm sure MS will NOT be offering other search engines as an alternative... Android certainly doesn't. Why should MS?

You know search button is waste of space for more than half of users for WP.

Actually my comment answers all your questions.

Why should MS?
Read the first line of my comment.

And why not Android allow to change search engine because more than 99% of Android users use Google.

I am talking about users point of views.

AND Isn't WP THE MOST PERSONAL OS?
THEN WHAT REMAINED PERSONAL IN THIS? IF THEY ARE FORCING YOU..

Last edited:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Search button is now Cortana which uses Bing.

As mentioned, install an app shortcut to Google and you have quick access to that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital