Will my Lumia 520 be updated to Windows 10?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
A picture like this?

View attachment 94643

All those "Pictures" in that top ribbon are headlines. Click on one and you go to the Windows Central news story for that title. :straight:
Just because the screen says windows 10, doesn't mean it will be windows 10. I really do think its for phones with 1gb or more ram. It would make a lot of sense. But I think now is the time Microsoft should be announcing it. Because telling us a week before the OS releasing that the best selling windows phone will not be supported is just bad PR

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Just because the screen says windows 10, doesn't mean it will be windows 10. I really do think its for phones with 1gb or more ram. It would make a lot of sense. But I think now is the time Microsoft should be announcing it. Because telling us a week before the OS releasing that the best selling windows phone will not be supported is just bad PR

You can think what you want but do you really think Microsoft kind of forgot to tell on Jan 21 that more than 50 % of the phones can not be updated.?

alex athanasopoulos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

Actually a similar post was about the demin update. That it will be only in name for older and less powerful Lumia. But it is possible that some features of w10 will be available for the newer and more powerful wp (that makes total sense).

BUT its too early to start spreading rumors or getting anxious about these things. Wait and see.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

Oh really do u think MS can really afford to showcase all of them runnin W10 and claim all Modern lumias get WP and then screw the users by not giving them? I don't think so especially after the WP7-8 fiasco...

Aryankr21

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
But this time Microsoft cannot afford to not give w10 update to Lumia 520 users because if they don't provide the update they will anger their main part of widows phone consumer. This wil also send a wrong message to other new consumer that MS doesn't give update to low end phones which will be equal to android user with low end phones who never get update. Then they will only go for android because they at least get lots of apps

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
But this time Microsoft cannot afford to not give w10 update to Lumia 520 users because if they don't provide the update they will anger their main part of widows phone consumer. This wil also send a wrong message to other new consumer that MS doesn't give update to low end phones which will be equal to android user with low end phones who never get update. Then they will only go for android because they at least get lots of apps

Well u have a valid point but saying that 520 users will feel like they are treated like low end androids is wrong.
520 went from WP 8 Gdr1 > Amber(gdr2) > Black(gdr3) > Cyan (WP 8.1) > Denim (WP 8.1.1).
That's more than even some android flagships.
But it will definitely get the W10 anyway.

Aryankr21

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Well u have a valid point but saying that 520 users will feel like they are treated like low end androids is wrong.
520 went from WP 8 Gdr1 > Amber(gdr2) > Black(gdr3) > Cyan (WP 8.1) > Denim (WP 8.1.1).
That's more than even some android flagships.
But it will definitely get the W10 anyway.

Yes ur right I agree with u but people now only give less recommendation to WP and if Microsoft will itself doesn't take responsibility to update Lumia 520 it will make it even worse for next WP consumers

viswanathansri

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I would like to differ with this point ... I would say that when Microsoft says "All modern WP will get WP10" , its says that all phones ( irrespective of RAM ) which run the next-gen Snapdragon processors will get WP10 ... That includes 435,532,530,535,630,635,638 all devices which run on Snapdragon 200/400 which are considered next-gen when compared to Snapdragon S4 found on 520/620/720 etc ... Even now , many WP8.1 features run only on next gen hardware specific devices ... For ex. Lumia 1020 didnt get the camera updates as 930/1520 got because its processor didnt support it even though 1020 had 2GB RAM ....
So finally it comes down to whether the processor can handle the OS rather than the RAM shortage .

Aryankr21

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I would like to differ with this point ... I would say that when Microsoft says "All modern WP will get WP10" , its says that all phones ( irrespective of RAM ) which run the next-gen Snapdragon processors will get WP10 ... That includes 435,532,530,535,630,635,638 all devices which run on Snapdragon 200/400 which are considered next-gen when compared to Snapdragon S4 found on 520/620/720 etc ... Even now , many WP8.1 features run only on next gen hardware specific devices ... For ex. Lumia 1020 didnt get the camera updates as 930/1520 got because its processor didnt support it even though 1020 had 2GB RAM ....
So finally it comes down to whether the processor can handle the OS rather than the RAM shortage .
Can u plz tell me if that my Lumia 525 have next gen snapdragon processor

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site

Oh my. If ever this will happen I can imagine already the storm that will happen here in Windows Central

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site

This is definitely not the case, u may be missing a point here, the current gen midrange snapdragon 200/400 is nothing more powerful than the last gen S4.
They may be quad core but being based on Cortex A7 which is a lot more inferior to the cortex A9 based krait processors of S4. Infact 1 cortex A9 core = 2 cortex A7 core. And the only reason some of them are performing better is because of the higher clock but in the case of the 830 its actually weaker than its predecessor the 820 in every way.
1020 didn't get the camera features of denim update since some of them are limited to a few of the new tech found in SD800/400 and its still rumuored to get some of the new features with W10.
So processors can never be a limiting matter for WP at the moment.
Also they said Modern WP because they meant the ones that came with WP8 since these phones were a lot more powerful than the WP7 running phones, if they wanted say only the current phones then they might as well say "Current Generation WP" instead of modern.

At the end of day its quite obvious that everyone using a WP8/ higher lumia will get W10.

Asik15

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Why People Still Scared of Romour even after MS themself Promised to Update all Modern Devices i.e .. Windows Phone 8 and higher... So that include the X20 Series too ...
Crap !!!!!

alex athanasopoulos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Well I guess next time MSFT should list all the Lumia wp (8, 8.1) and start saying these phones can get the w10. "Now lets call for Sumsung, htc etc and tell us about their phone series ;P "

Oh btw will my Lumia 920 (unlocked, no carrier) get the update? :p please tell me yes or I'll leave wp for ever. Don't do us the same with wp7 and wp8 :p

Asik15

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Well I guess next time MSFT should list all the Lumia wp (8, 8.1) and start saying these phones can get the w10. "Now lets call for Sumsung, htc etc and tell us about their phone series ;P "

Oh btw will my Lumia 920 (unlocked, no carrier) get the update? :p please tell me yes or I'll leave wp for ever. Don't do us the same with wp7 and wp8 :p

Oh come on Mate Not yu too :p

well you will get it for sure :)

Nalin Khanduri1

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Every Lumia(8/8.1) will be updated to windows 10.As update from one OS to another depends on the Kernel type and the Kernel type of 8/8.1 and 10 is same,so every win 8/8.1 lumia will get the update.Since there would be some restrictions in case of low RAM models and old processors,but update is coming for sure .

Nalin Khanduri1

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Take a chill.920 user here too.Win 10 is coming.But mind it,due to the old processor some advance feature will not make a cut..But 10 for sure.Cheers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon