Why does my Lumia 520 keep selecting options by itself?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Lumia 520 keeps selecting options by itself

After my Lumia 520 Windows 8 phone called the most recent number in history by itself, I was shocked to notice that it kept changing things by itself without any input from me, as if it was being controlled remotely. For example, it was just sitting on the table with the screen facing up, and I watched it change from the main screen to history, and then going up and down within the history. It also went into the settings by itself and accessed the alarm, and started changing the time for one of the alarms. At this point, the actions seemed random, as it kept changing the alarm to different times but never saved it.

Wi-Fi has been turned off the whole time, and I don't have a data plan, so it doesn't seem possible that someone is connecting to it through the internet, although I can't entirely rule out the possibility that someone can connect to it a different way. Also, since the actions have been somewhat random, I'm thinking it may not necessarily be that a person is actively taking it over; perhaps it's a malfunction, or a virus (?).

This happened late this morning. Since then, it has been quiet. But I'm afraid it could happen again, so I keep it on the calculator screen, or some other neutral screen all the time, so that hopefully if it starts acting up, any random actions it takes may be less likely to cause damage.

What could be causing this, and how can I stop it?

Ryan ODonnell

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 520 keeps selecting options by itself

Hmm, did you apply pressure to parts of the screen by any chance?
I haven't been able to replicate this on any of my Lumia 520s.

If you haven't applied pressure, did you get the screen replaced by a third party?
They tend to use unofficial displays for the phone and tends to behave irresponsibly.

If you haven't had the screen replaced, it may be that you need to hard reset.

I hope it gets all sorted out for you :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon