The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-12-2014 10:34 PM
35 12
tools
    Are they ever going to come out with an update, this 8 gigs on the main memory just isn't enough. I can't download as many apps as I want, because the micro sd card only saves songs, pictures, videos, and other items anything but apps..... Microsoft should know better, and is there any way to customize the SMS messages?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Dave Blake; 01-07-2014 at 07:30 AM.
    01-05-2014 07:24 PM
    Did you not look at the specs before you bought it, or didn't you understand what all those specs meant
    as far as how the limited amount of native storage and how the limits of 512 RAM would play out ?
    It's good low end smartphone other than that from what I've read, it's it ?

Customize SMS as in sounds ? with GDR3 you can.
    01-05-2014 07:40 PM
    Not even Android let you save apps in your SD-Card unless is rooted.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    01-05-2014 08:04 PM
    Look at his avatar and the number of posts. He doesn't even deserve a reply.
    Pontifex, ShreyansShah and ZkT like this.
    01-05-2014 09:46 PM
    Elitist much ?
    01-05-2014 09:51 PM
    The L521/520 are the most basic WP - what do you expect for paying so little for them?
    Talk4Lig likes this.
    01-05-2014 10:51 PM
    Wait for 8.1 ;)
    b23h likes this.
    01-05-2014 10:55 PM
    Ya, and look at his posts. They are rubbish. His other posts are digging up a year old thread just for the hell of it. I'd say his motive is questionable.
    01-05-2014 11:02 PM
    Ya, and look at his posts. They are rubbish. His other posts are digging up a year old thread just for the hell of it. I'd say his motive is questionable.
    I think this constitutes a conspiracy to deny said member his first amendment rights
    Chregu and xandros9 like this.
    01-05-2014 11:16 PM
    Are they ever going to come out with an update, this 8 gigs on the main memory just isn't enough. I can't download as many apps as I want, because the micro sd card only saves songs, pictures, videos, and other items anything but apps..... Microsoft should know better, and is there any way to customize the SMS messages?Thanks.
    Where he states "Microsoft should know better" just shows he is trolling. Last time I checked MS didn't build the phone Nokia did.
    01-06-2014 04:35 PM
    Of course it does since 2.2 onwards. Not all apps though, they need to support it, but it works. If it's rooted you can move any app to SD card though.
    b23h likes this.
    01-06-2014 04:42 PM
    OP fails at trolling.
    maclancer likes this.
    01-06-2014 05:11 PM
    so? Does it mean that we also cannot do it in the future? How can this OS wins others if it's lacking of special features?
    01-06-2014 11:32 PM
    this feature is coming in an update , 8.1 I believe , as others have said android still doesn't let you move apps to sd card without rooting so I don't know what the op is saying implying really? my old s4 was a nightmare only 8gb of the 16gb mass memory was available due to bloatware , then the mass memory filled up so quickly with my apps and app data that my s4 would crawl along and id have to hard reset then become picky with what apps I installed as it had limited space so a 550 flagship was having the same / more troubles with mass memory then a 90 budget phone lol
    Pieter Wolff likes this.
    01-07-2014 12:27 AM
    so? Does it mean that we also cannot do it in the future? How can this OS wins others if it's lacking of special features?
    Even though Android or iPhones can't fly me to the moon, Windows Phone should so it can win me over with ridiculous special features?

Using external storage for apps, especially in a sandboxed environment, isn't the easiest thing to do. Its also not as heavily desired as other big features like notification center, etc.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    01-07-2014 12:38 AM
    You know... 8gb of space and 512mb of ram is still better than the basic of Android phones, and then your also getting updates for a year and a half to two years, I don't recall the actual number of months. That alone is just wow on Microsoft's end. :D
    01-07-2014 12:50 AM
    Stuff like the PSP and 3DS have been saving apps to memory cards for silly amounts of years. =/ No excuses for cellphones to not have the same capabilities tbh.
    01-07-2014 03:18 AM
    Microsoft extended it's support of WP8 out to 36 months. I do believe there is a topic pinned in the Windows Phone 8 section that covers this.

As to amount of ram and storage....I ran an HTC Radar(WP 7.8), for a year and a half with these specs and it had more then enough room. After you use a phone for some time you become used to it.
    If you think your a Power user, then you will know ahead of time to get a phone that fits your needs.

P.S.
    I still use all I need on my Nokia 1020, and what I have on it would still fit on the Radar.....in the storage tab the biggest section by far is free space.
    01-07-2014 06:49 AM
    The troll talk stops here. If you can't contribute to this thread in a positive way don't post in it.
    jefbeard911 and xandros9 like this.
    01-07-2014 07:39 AM
    Personally I don't think that will be possible in future. Why would Microsoft open such a great hole in OS security? We can't install apps from anywhere except Store and Store apps are checked before they are posted. And if we install apps to SD card, we could install the same SD card into our computer and modify an already installed app to do an interop unlock for us, for example. And it won't be cheked becasue it's already installed from Store and trusted within the system.
    01-07-2014 09:52 AM
    Play nice boys. Many of us are cross-platform users and have likes and dislikes on each.

Its not the number of posts that shows your intelligence, its knowing when to shut up and let things slide...
    01-07-2014 10:05 AM
    Personally I don't think that will be possible in future. Why would Microsoft open such a great hole in OS security? We can't install apps from anywhere except Store and Store apps are checked before they are posted. And if we install apps to SD card, we could install the same SD card into our computer and modify an already installed app to do an interop unlock for us, for example. And it won't be cheked becasue it's already installed from Store and trusted within the system.
    I can think of at least three different ways to verify that an installed app has not been modified in any way or to ensure that such modification is not possible at the outset (cryptographic hashing being one of them).

By the way, the fact that you can download a xap from the Windows Phone Store, transfer that over USB and install it disproves your point completely.
    01-07-2014 10:42 AM
    I had the same problem with the Nexus 4. Google should know better. They should at least include a microSD card slot.
    01-07-2014 10:50 AM

I think you can , what you mean is after rooting you can move the app to a portion on the SD card (after portioning it) but for the start without rooting u can still move the app while not entirely (the data will remain on the internal memory) but the remaining of the app will be moved

Sent from my Lumia 520 using Tapatalk
    01-07-2014 10:54 AM
    A lot of people know that Google, Apple and even Amazon do not put SD card slots on their smartphones or tablets because Microsoft owns the patent on the file system that SD cards use and if you put a SD slot on a device you have to pay Microsoft a fee. Samsung (and maybe thats part of the reason they are the 1000pound gorilla in the smartphone arena), does put SD card slots on all their stuff. I think they are laughing all the way to the bank. And even though I don't own any Samsung devices I admire what they have accomplished. All my smartphones are WP8 and all my tablets are Android and I like it like that. Oh yea my computers are 8.1. No Apple stuff, but I have no problem with people who like Apple, just not for me.
    01-07-2014 02:21 PM
35 12