If you are thinking about buying the phone..dont

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtBigRig

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Gotta say after a full day of use. I am less than impressed.

. Call quality is ok nothing spectacular.

Camera: The camera, well let just say that even cheap androids outdo this device,and it doesn't hold a candle to older windows phones. All this talk about nokia camera quality is sorta null and void for me. The image is.."something", but its aint sharp. and forget about taking a picture in anything less than bright daylight. Like me you will try to dismiss the lack of a flash LED, thinking "it cant be that important can it? That is until you try taking pictures with Mud vision.

Video recording : The video recording is filled with so much audio static, its unreal. I mean you would have to get the phone to really experience it. The frames per second are really high which is a good thing. though visually you aren't going to see much of anything. Its just too dark

Call quality: its ok. nothing to complain or praise about on it.

Device speed: As we all know, windows phone as an OS isnt exactly taxing on most devices, so you assume the experience would be the same no matter what phone you use. Let me tell you...you will notice a difference. Don't expect to be doing a lot of jumping from one task to another with this phone. because there are going to be moments when it flat out does not respond. Another thing to avoid is using pinch-to-zoom on the phone...DO NOT DO IT. was trying to do it rapidly to see how well the phone could keep up. Needless to say, it couldn't. Damn thing zoomed in to the max...and stayed like that. The effect carried over to the lock-screen. Had to do quite a few reboots to get the phone working again.

Browsing speed: Again nothing spectacular. websites show up. So I guess in that reguard it passed. but on wifi thats not exactly a hard test. again don't do alot of pinch-to-zooming. You'll regret it.

Tactile Quality: I don't even know how to describe this. But the phones screen has this..resistance when you glide your fingers across it, they catch. Like using a squeegee on a car window is the best way i can describe it. However I LOVE how easy it is to peal off the back cover. Tho once you do, you can no longer activate the device. The buttons are attach to the back cover.

Weight: Try not using the phone while on your back, one wrong move and this thing would be more than capable of chipping a tooth or two.

Only positives I have so far, are on the 8.1 OS. Its crazy nifty! kept jumping from storage sense to battery saver. Also Happy here maps is no longer nokia exclusive. Other navigation apps pale in comparison. Everyone needs to experience this lol.

Overall if you want to experience Windows phone 8.1 These devices, the 630-635 are NOT the way to do it. I would just hang in there until good phones are actually released. Or update your older phones to 8.1 if you can. That would give you a FAR better result than what these new devices are offering. I gave in to all the waiting, now I wish I hadn't.

jiovine

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
browsing speeds may have something to do with your Straight Talk service...huge latency issues with them.

camera and video quality is a given based on the price point.

sorry you had a bad experience but I find this a great device for the price point. But if I want more horsepower, I pop the sim in my 1020.

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
I think you expected too much from a <100 dollar phone. IMO, it's a pretty good device for the price. Obviously, YMDV - Your Mileage DID Vary.

osallent

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
It is a good device for that price range. If you expect the same specs and quality of a $700 phone on the Lumia 635, keep dreaming, but if you want a good phone at the $120-$160 price range, this is a very competitive device.

As for device speed, maybe you need to upgrade your cell phone plan. Mine on T-Mobile with 4G LTE is very responsive and opens apps fast.

I honestly can't complain about this phone. It does everything a device in it's price category can be expected to do, and it does it well.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I wonder what this device would be like on the late, great OS, WP8. My 520 absolutely flies on it. Installed the 8.1DP on it, let it go through a few updates, eventually rolled back as it was a lagfest.

Not liking all the little things that they nixed on the low end of the 530, this one is a bit better but even here, no ambient light or proximity sensor?

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I love my 635. Only issue I've had is with Xbox music and mix radio. Both apps lag like crazy and freeze quite often when using an SD card. Hopefully they just need an update. Anybody else see this?

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I strongly disagree. I love the built in 8.1 & Cyan (with Files App, Device Hub, USB and lots of other goodies). While the phone admittedly lacks things I'd like, it adds a few I hadn't anticipated. Like Sensor Core and Movement Data which track my steps and calories and can hook up with Bing Health and Fitness, and several already existing apps in the phone store, soon FitBit. And lack of RAM can be overcome just by pressing the back arrow and X-ing out background programs that you still have open but didn't realize and don't need. The screen size is a real plus after the 529. Admittedly I plan to get one of the flagship Lumias when (if) they come out this fall, but, at $100 the 635 takes a lot of the edge off waiting.

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I love my 635. Only issue I've had is with Xbox music and mix radio. Both apps lag like crazy and freeze quite often when using an SD card. Hopefully they just need an update. Anybody else see this?
I'm using a 64 Gig SD Card and I don't use Mix Radio, but the Music app with streaming disabled is working like a charm reading the 40+G of MP3s from my SD Card. Zero problems here. It's a fairly new fast SD card.

glovenc

May 25, 2014
Visit site
If you are thinking about buying this phone, please do not take any of these criticisms too seriously.

I've been using the 635 on T-Mobile since mid-July when it was first available in stores. I can confirm that I've had few if any of the problems listed here. Like others have already stated, you always have to lower your expectations when you're purchasing a phone under $150-200. That said, this is one of the newer phones on the market now available that really stands on top of the crowded budget field, easily. I also own a Moto E, so considering the Lumia 635 and the Moto E can both be had online off contract for $129, maybe the E provides a good base of comparison. There are definite differences as far as screen quality, resolution, processor, camera, OS is concerned. But the Lumia does not in any way have an inferior display to the E and I much prefer it. It does have a lower screen resolution, but I'm not pixel-obsessed and the 635's resolution easily gets the job done for me. If I was that concerned about more pixels, I wouldn't be looking at sub-$150 phones.

Battery life is about on par for both. I prefer WP over Android personally, but that boils down to preference only. 635 runs smooth all around with nary a hiccup that I've noticed, including web browsing. Never run into the pinch-to-zoom problem noted by the original poster. Everything is fast and fluid so long as you're not running five games at once, but then again, why would you buy the 635 for gaming? The Moto E wins in RAM, but again, WP and Android operate differently with the latter able to run smoother on less RAM, and so for the budget smartphone crowd, which these are both clearly aimed at, 512 is perfectly sufficient even if 1GB is preferable. I do not do much gaming at all, so the 512 RAM is a nonissue.

I'm quite frankly sick and tired of everyone whining incessantly about the alleged lack of RAM. In real world use, most people are not going to care about this. Moving on, the 635 beats the Moto E in camera quality hands down. Neither has rear flash or front facing camera. I couldn't care less about either. I can't stand the selfie-obsessed idiocy anyway. But so long as you're not taking pictures in dark environments, camera quality holds up easily on the 635, while pics taken on the E in the same conditions are noticeably inferior. All in all, the 630/635 is an excellent phone for the money so long as you're phone usage and expectations are MODEST and generally along the lines of what a budget phone usually offers. The 635, and to be fair, the Moto E, offer outstanding value for not a lot of money. I think the 635 wins hands down against the E, however. Solid build quality, fits very nicely in the hand, very nice and sizeable display for a budget phone. The Moto E also has a big build quality issue with the changeable shells, where it becomes loose and slides up and down, a huge annoyance in my opinion. You can check Motorola forums for all the people having the same problem, including Youtube videos for unofficial fixes for it. I don't foresee the 635 having the same build issues with its changeable shells.

Last edited by a moderator:

docfreed

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
The phone itself is a great value and mine works perfectly with absolutely NO issues on T-Mobile. IMHO, most complaints are really about the "unfinished" nature of the OS.
I believe that most people buy a smartphone for the ability to:
1. Play music
2. Play games
3. Take pictures
After all, if you just want to talk/text why not use a "stupid" phone.
And there's the rub - XBOX is the biggest joke of an app ever foisted on a phone - it's 2014 and you cannot even save your place in a song and resume it later - the fruitphone has had this for years.
I think that MS will succeed or fail on how well they address items 1-3 above.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Gotta say after a full day of use. I am less than impressed.

. Call quality is ok nothing spectacular.

Camera: The camera, well let just say that even cheap androids outdo this device,and it doesn't hold a candle to older windows phones. All this talk about nokia camera quality is sorta null and void for me. The image is.."something", but its aint sharp. and forget about taking a picture in anything less than bright daylight. Like me you will try to dismiss the lack of a flash LED, thinking "it cant be that important can it? That is until you try taking pictures with Mud vision.

Video recording : The video recording is filled with so much audio static, its unreal. I mean you would have to get the phone to really experience it. The frames per second are really high which is a good thing. though visually you aren't going to see much of anything. Its just too dark

Call quality: its ok. nothing to complain or praise about on it.

Device speed: As we all know, windows phone as an OS isnt exactly taxing on most devices, so you assume the experience would be the same no matter what phone you use. Let me tell you...you will notice a difference. Don't expect to be doing a lot of jumping from one task to another with this phone. because there are going to be moments when it flat out does not respond. Another thing to avoid is using pinch-to-zoom on the phone...DO NOT DO IT. was trying to do it rapidly to see how well the phone could keep up. Needless to say, it couldn't. Damn thing zoomed in to the max...and stayed like that. The effect carried over to the lock-screen. Had to do quite a few reboots to get the phone working again.

Browsing speed: Again nothing spectacular. websites show up. So I guess in that reguard it passed. but on wifi thats not exactly a hard test. again don't do alot of pinch-to-zooming. You'll regret it.

Tactile Quality: I don't even know how to describe this. But the phones screen has this..resistance when you glide your fingers across it, they catch. Like using a squeegee on a car window is the best way i can describe it. However I LOVE how easy it is to peal off the back cover. Tho once you do, you can no longer activate the device. The buttons are attach to the back cover.

Weight: Try not using the phone while on your back, one wrong move and this thing would be more than capable of chipping a tooth or two.

Only positives I have so far, are on the 8.1 OS. Its crazy nifty! kept jumping from storage sense to battery saver. Also Happy here maps is no longer nokia exclusive. Other navigation apps pale in comparison. Everyone needs to experience this lol.

Overall if you want to experience Windows phone 8.1 These devices, the 630-635 are NOT the way to do it. I would just hang in there until good phones are actually released. Or update your older phones to 8.1 if you can. That would give you a FAR better result than what these new devices are offering. I gave in to all the waiting, now I wish I hadn't.

you have magnifier on. Double tap with two fingers then disable it in the ease of access settings. That should solve your zooming and other touch screen problems.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm using a 64 Gig SD Card and I don't use Mix Radio, but the Music app with streaming disabled is working like a charm reading the 40+G of MP3s from my SD Card. Zero problems here. It's a fairly new fast SD card.

Thanks for the reply, that's why I'm concerned about mine. I had a sandisk ultra and it did that. I bought a sandisk extreme plus to see if that would help but to no avail. it must be the phone then.

docfreed

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
How did you disable streaming? And are you able to resume playing from where you left off? The latter is my big issue since I often listen to audiobooks.

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
How did you disable streaming? And are you able to resume playing from where you left off? The latter is my big issue since I often listen to audiobooks.
Disabling streaming for XBox music is right at the top of the settings. wp_ss_20140731_0001.jpg

As far as I've observed so far, the app does resume playing from where I left off, but I don't think it will remember / bookmark where you were in multiple files; I just note that it resumes playing from where I left off in a song when I start listening again.

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Since I've bought this phone I've been doing more research on how it stands up against the competition. There are a few sub-$200 phones that I could have gotten from T-Mobile including the Samsung Galaxy Mini, LG Optimus L90 (My wife has the excellent L9 that preceeded the L90 and it's a real winner), Moto X (though I'm not sure that it is available on T-Mobile).

Some of the Android phones have features I would like such as better screens, or a flash, or a front facing camera. However, it seems that most of the Android phones at this price level that can support SD cards have a limit of 32G. I have a 64G card full of music in my 635, that I formerly used in my T-Mobile G2, and have ideas of upgrading to 128 in anticipation of loads of video for an upcoming vacation. 32 G is completely inadequate for me, I want to be able to put 128 in if I want to. The most capable of the Android competitors, the Galaxy Light, is limited to 64. Most others are limited to 32 in this price range. Being able to host a large SD card is a killer app for me personally and nothing can touch the 635.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Unless those phones specifically don't support the SDXC standard they should all support the current maximum micro SD card size. Was there any confirmation from users that higher capacity cards aren't supported?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Unless those phones specifically don't support the SDXC standard they should all support the current maximum micro SD card size. Was there any confirmation from users that higher capacity cards aren't supported?
there's comfirmation in the ads for the 530 for 128gb support. And check to nokia website for info too.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Are you kidding me?? The complaint about the weight of the phone is just plain ridiculous. Also, I know it's only got a 5 megapixel camera that lacks flash, but give me a break... My friend used the 521 with that same camera and I was surprised at how good the quality of her photos was (I say this as I was using a 920 at the time).

Seriously, do some people just not get that this is a BUDGET phone? It's not meant to compete against the 920, 925, 1020, 1520 or any other high end Lumia or any other high end smartphone. But it's certainly a good phone regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon