Pedometer / FitBit - how does it work?

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I know the 635 can be used as a pedometer to count steps, how does it work? I've got the FitBit app installed - it seems that the step counter only works when I put the phone in my front pants pocket - right? Is that what I should do? I can't find any information on how this is supposed to work. I know the built-in Microsoft fitness app is supposed to work as well.

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Here's an explanation of SensorCore, which is the "pedometer" technology in the 635 and others. It's a combination of h/w and s/w and works fine for me with the Health and Fitness stuff from our friends in Redmond. I do not use FitBit.

To enable, go to Settings --> Motion Data

I've noticed that my 635 counts steps in my front, back and jacket pockets.

SensorCore explained - Conversations: The Microsoft Devices blog

Last edited:

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I know what a pedometer is and I'm familiar with what SensorCore is.

My question is how does this work in a practical standpoint. If I have Fitbit on my 635 what do I need to do to use sensorcore to accurately count my steps? Will it work in a breast pocket versus does it have to be in a pants pocket - does it work better in a front or rear pocket? Should I have some kind of belt clasp for best performance? Are there any settings I can tweak for performance? Is there any calibration for height, gait, or location of the phone? That kind of thing.

Last edited:

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
This is based on my several months of experience with Steps using Health and Fitness only. Not sure what FitBit adds.

While I don't exactly know how accurate my steps are being counted, I have walked a measured course of 3.5 miles a few times and that what Steps recorded, so that seems OK. I have heard that some folks notice increased steps while driving or phantom steps. I admit to not staring at my phone as much as others, so maybe some phantoms creep in, but frankly I don't care. If <10% are "phantoms" that's a so what in my book. I suppose if I was training for the Olympics that would be another story. :)

You can customize your stride length walking / running and other things under "my profile" in the Health and Fitness app or it will simply use defaults I guess. I did the customize. There is no "phone location" setting btw.

I generally keep my 635 in my front pocket but I have used back and jacket pockets and they all "work". Whether one is better or more accurate than the other I can't say. No belt clasp or arm band for me.

I suppose accuracy "depends" on many factors, but I'm satisfied with the results I'm getting.

Last edited:

Philip Hamm

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks that's very helpful. I'm using the "Fitbit" app because I have a Health plan at work that gives me financial incentives to be active. They donate some money to a health savings account based on activity. Their web site connects to about a half dozen or so services, and the Microsoft Health and Fitness site is not one of them. The only ones I've found that I can use on Windows phone are "Fitbit" which uses the pedometer and GPS tracking in the phone and "Map My Ride" which uses the GPS.

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Some weirdness to report. Today I walked on a measured course of about 5 miles. I've walked this dozens of times in the past.

Here's what Steps told me: 10,212 steps, 9.46 miles, 775 calories burned, active time 1hr 27 min.

9.46 miles? WAY off by almost a factor of 2. I assume the calories is based on "mileage".

Now here's what GPS Tracker tells me in Health and Fitness for the same walk.

8,666 steps, 4.92 miles, 401 calories burned, active time 1hr 12 minutes.

While this stuff works most of the time, I'm at a loss to explain why it goes "nuts" on occasion. I do the same thing on the same course. GPS signal 4 bars. Wide open spaces, no obstructions. I hit the start workout button, put the phone in pocket top side up and go. Nothing else running on the phone. I don't fool around with or gawk at the phone while walking. I'd much rather look at what Mother Nature has to offer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon