Lumia 800 screen quality vs HTC Mozart

thuannguy

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
So I just bought a new Lumia 800. My previous phone HTC Mozart so I compare their screens. There is no new conclusion here, I think:Lumia 800 gives me better colors except the white one.

However, there is one thing that concerns me: while my HTC Mozart displays everything from fonts to live tiles smoothly, those in my Lumia 800 look "serrated":
smooth%20-%20spiked%20-%20small.png

in which the "No sim" one was taken from my Lumia screen.

Could you tell me if this is normal for AMOLED screens or is it just my device's problem?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

nfbsk

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
So I just bought a new Lumia 800. My previous phone HTC Mozart so I compare their screens. There is no new conclusion here, I think:Lumia 800 gives me better colors except the white one.

However, there is one thing that concerns me: while my HTC Mozart displays everything from fonts to live tiles smoothly, those in my Lumia 800 look "serrated":
Click to view quoted image

in which the "No sim" one was taken from my Lumia screen.

Could you tell me if this is normal for AMOLED screens or is it just my device's problem?

Thank you in advance.

I believe the lumia 800 has what is called a "PenTile" display in which the arrangement and number of pixels is modified from the usual RGB display found on your Titan.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Yep - that's pentile for you. I also went from a Mozart to the Lumia. Contrast and brightness great, smoothness less so.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I've finally managed to "see" the PenTile thing on my phone which has led me to wonder just how good other peoples eye sight is, or how close they hold their phone to their face when using it.

Seriously, I have to have my glasses on and the phone about 5 inches from my face before I can make it out. At a normal distance, say 1-2 feet, it just looks like any other AMOLED screen.

Dileu

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Pentile is a problem. It isn't just the quality of text that is an issue, but also the colour balance on greys. When you scroll with a grey background, it shifts slightly between grey-green and grey-blue. Personally, and I know this is a personal taste, it was a deal breaker for me, and was the reason my current phone isn't a Lumia 800.

thuannguy

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I've finally managed to "see" the PenTile thing on my phone which has led me to wonder just how good other peoples eye sight is, or how close they hold their phone to their face when using it.

Seriously, I have to have my glasses on and the phone about 5 inches from my face before I can make it out. At a normal distance, say 1-2 feet, it just looks like any other AMOLED screen.

I found the problem immediately when I used mango theme. I think it may be because I come to Lumia 800 from HTC Mozart and my Mozart display is very smooth. -1 for the PenTile. Kind of disappointed :mad:

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

I have a really sharp eye for detail (it's part of my job, as I'm an editor), so I saw it immediately. But then again I'm the sort of guy who'll spend 3 hours dismantling a phone to remove 1 speck of dust from under the screen...

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
You might be looking for the wrong thing. It doesn't stand out a mile, but the 800 screen does have a more "grainy" feel too it, especially white on black text. An LCD gives cleaner lines.

It's not a 16-bit vs PS3 type difference, and with moving colour pictures you'd be very hard pushed to notice at all - video looks great on the 800. But unfortunately Metro is a UI where you do end up seeing it a lot!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes