Lumia 810 Unlocked on AT&T. Any problems to expect?

psnipes773

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey folks!

So I was in the market for a cheap-ish Windows Phone to use on AT&T, but not be flagged as a smartphone on AT&T. I've narrowed my options down to either the T-Mobile 8X or the Lumia 810. I've heard the 8X works fine, but I heard the Lumia 810 doesn't allow for APN settings to be modified without a Nokia app. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with using the Lumia 810 on AT&T. Specifically, I had the following questions:

1) Is it possible to get full MMS and Data working on AT&T?
2) I've heard the official GDR2/Amber update doesn't allow manual APN editing, but would updating to the GDR3 dev preview open it up?
3) Does tethering work? If so, does it require the GDR3 dev preview? I'm just wondering since GDR3 is straight from MS, does it still incorporate the check to make sure you are on a plan that support tethering. I would imagine that check would fail if using the 810 on AT&T.
4) If you're using it on AT&T now, when logging into the AT&T website, does it show the phone with a generic "gray flip phone" icon/Does it work with the AT&T MediaNET data plan?

Thanks!

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
re:

1) Yes, you would have to install Access Point from Nokia and either enable the correct AT&T profile or create one manually, the 810 doesn't support LTE hence you would be limited to only HSPA+ which is decent enough (3-22 MB/s practically)

2) Nope, it still doesn't open it for you but you can install Access Point which would basically do the same thing

3) Yes, to enable it you should be on a supported tethering plan from AT&T

4) It doesn't show a flip phone but a generic handset

psnipes773

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
re:

Thanks! Sorry to keep asking questions, but do you think you could take a screenshot of the generic handset that the AT&T website shows, just so I could see if it's what I'm expecting? Also, have you tried tethering on AT&T without a tethering plan? I ask because I've heard from others that the T-Mobile 8X works fine when tethering with AT&T's MediaNet plan.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
re:

Thanks! Sorry to keep asking questions, but do you think you could take a screenshot of the generic handset that the AT&T website shows, just so I could see if it's what I'm expecting? Also, have you tried tethering on AT&T without a tethering plan? I ask because I've heard from others that the T-Mobile 8X works fine when tethering with AT&T's MediaNet plan.

I am not currently on ATT so I won't be helpful, may be someone on ATT can?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes