Beta firmware - storage check not as good as you might expect

underrtow

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so im testing a beta firmware on my lumia 820 with storage check system APP installed and would like to give you an idea show it works.

First of all, this is not a fix, more like a limited workaround.

Based on my phone:

'Old' view shows 1.1 gb in other and 800mb in apps.
'New' view (storage check) shows 1.1 gb in apps, 250mb in maps, 50mb in mail and 500 mb in other.

So as you can see, storage check counts the space in different, more detailed way than original app.

There is another value in 'storage check' called temporary files, user can attempt to delete part of this value manually, or allow phone to do it itself.

From what i've observed this value is mostly web cache and installation files downloaded from marketplace. this is where fix actually works, anytime you buy an app and download it, its installation value goes to temp files and can be removed manually. (E.g. 800mb of asphalt 7).

What is not fixed thought is the fact that 'other' position in 'storage check' still rises everytime you install an app (since it seems every app reserves some additional space, usually 10-30mb per app). On top of that skydrive upload issue is not fixed as well, still taking twice (or even three times, try any panorama app) the storage.

Also it seems some specific temporary files (e.g. third party facebook apps, the one that in fact are using mobile website) cannot be removed. So I would expect this number to raise while you keep using the phone. (E.g. i've flashed the firmware 3 days ago, after finishing all apps install my temp files were 8-10 mb, now it's 45mb and this value cannot be diminished).

So, thanks Nokia, but the issue is still there.

underrtow

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Considering that this is firmware and not a system update, plus, 620s already ship with it, i can bet that final version will work in the same way.

underrtow

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
No, those are separate positions/values, there is both other and temp files in "storage check".

Downloaded app data goes to temp files, apps cache and skydrive upload data goes to "other".

e1ys1um

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Its a start in addressing the issue at least if nothing else.
For me though i want to see storage use extended to the sd cards or for the manufacturers to start spec'ing a minimum of 16gb.
Looking at the uk site for windows phone and all but 2 of the listed phones have the ability to extend the memory and yet beyond music/video and pictures its useless, as far as i can work out you cant even store documents/pdf's there as the phone/os just doesn't look.
Slight of topic but i do think it ties in as if they don't get a grip on the storage and 'Other' then the phones with smaller onboard storage are pointless.
I got the 820 for the expandable memory as with music/video and photos i know from experience that i would fill the 920, however I'm wishing I'd just gone with the 920 now.

Out of interest is this firmware off Navifirm or something official you are involved with?
Sent from my RM-825_eu_euro1_310 using Board Express

underrtow

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Nothing official of course its a firnware which was available on navifirm for like a day.

And of course, this is a nice step forward, Nokia cares, hopefully Microsoft as well, in the end they should deliver a final fix.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes