crashing and freezing lumia 822

yosemitescuba

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
i had a great lumia 822 until i downloaded the pandora app. at least that's about the time my problems have started. within a few days of downloading the pandora app my 822 froze and shut off. then it showed and error that stated there was no bootable program on my phone and i had to get it replaced by verizon. the replacement phone came and i downloaded all the same stuff including the pandora app. my new phone freezes and restarts when i watch video, play plants vs zombies, and play pandora. those are the only times so far. the reason i went to windows from android is the excellent operating system and the larger battery i could get with an htc trophy. never had problems with my htc trophy.

i don't really know if pandora app has anything to do with the freezing and restarting/killing my first wp8 phone but that was the time my problems started.

i love windows phone but i might jump ship if things don't improve soon.

yosemitescuba

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
i will try the factory reset. hopefully that will work. i would hate to give up this phone. build quality is awesome. love the wireless charging so much.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Apparently they have a fix in the next software release. I find that this generally only happens when certain apps go to get information on the net when my connection has stopped working. This is very random and my phone has gone several days without exhibiting this, then has it a couple of times. Pandora will do it if your connection is lost with the app open and you try to do something to get the connection back. Thankfully, after reboot, the problem is gone for a while.

It's infrequent enough for me to be merely a nuisance when it does happen.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the 822 never had problem with Pandora but also never had lost connection issue. Wonder if I should remove Pandora?

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The crashing is clearly a bug, and one that, according to the "Random Reboot" thread, is being addressed in the next software update. However, the dropping of the network seems to be what triggers it for me. I noticed today that my data connection seems to be getting dropped in the same general area. At one time I was finding that my cellular network was dropping as well. I'm starting to wonder if the cellular radio settings are the culprit. When I got my phone the my "Mode selection" was set to "Global" and my "Data roaming options" set to "don't roam". I changed my " Mode selection" to LTE and CDMA last week and I rarely lose cellular network connectivity anymore, but the data network drops continue, and both seemed to happen in the same general areas.

Since my plan includes domestic data roaming, I'm turning data roaming on and I'll see if that makes a difference in dropping the network connection or not. So far, every freeze/reboot I have had (only been a handful) has occurred when the data connection dropped out and I was using data, such as streaming with Pandora.

yosemitescuba

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
i did the reset. what a pain in the ***. four email accounts, games lost, settings, downloading, passwords, misc bull****. my phone hasn't crashed for 3 days now. even with pandora on my phone from the day i did the reset. hopefully this will continue. i'll post if there are any problems. thanks everyone for contributing to this thread.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully, you won't have any more issues. I have found, so far, that I no longer lose my data connection since making the change in the phone's settings, and haven't had a freeze/reboot so far (will need more time to see if they stay away). I'm wondering what the reset sets these settings too in the phone. Has I mentioned, every incident I had was tied to a loss of data connection when attempting to use the device for something requiring data.

Hopefully, the up coming patch will fix this permanently, as this issue appears to be the primary reason for returns of this device at VZW.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm now on two days, traveling the same path to work everyday, and I no longer experience data connection drop outs like I did before. The other thing I noticed is that I now see the 3G and 1x symbols when LTE drops out, which I didn't see when the data roaming was turned off. There must be some issue with the data hand off when data roaming is turned off. And, while it's only been two days, I haven't had any reboots or freezing, and I've been using data apps like Pandora a lot.

I'm starting to believe that these settings must be set to this, right now, to avoid these issues.

yosemitescuba

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
so i downloaded the nokia touchscreen update and now my phone is freezing and restarting. i wonder if i downloaded that around the time i did pandora on my last phone. this sucks. i love my phone but i won't tolerate freezes and restarts for much longer. Nokia/Microsoft. Just ******* fix this!

AiponGkooja

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue with the loss of data a little while back. I think a firmware update reset my data options to "Global" and "Don't roam." Changing them back to "LTE and CDMA" and "Roam" fixed it for me as well.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I wish more people would check into their settings and see if this is the issue. I suspect it is since the Global and "don't roam" settings appear to be the default ones. I still haven't had an issue since changing these settings 15 days ago so I'm pretty confident that this is the fix until they fix the software.

Mopad10

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I wish more people would check into their settings and see if this is the issue. I suspect it is since the Global and "don't roam" settings appear to be the default ones. I still haven't had an issue since changing these settings 15 days ago so I'm pretty confident that this is the fix until they fix the software.

I made these changes last week, and my phone still constantly shuts itself off. This does not seem to fix my issue with the crashing and freezing.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I made these changes last week, and my phone still constantly shuts itself off. This does not seem to fix my issue with the crashing and freezing.

Yeah, I don't think this fix is for your particular problem. The problem this seems to fix is the random data connection loss, and subsequent freezing/rebooting (at times the phone appears to still be active but with a black screen and it has to have a battery pull). I'm not sure what could be causing your issue. Have you tried resetting your phone and NOT installing any apps for a few days and see if the issue goes away? This could isolate the problem down to an app your installing.

yosemitescuba

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
my patience is at its end. i won't do android. ****ty system. i'm thinking iphone 5. too much crashing on wp8 nokia 822. pissing me off just like android did when it did the same thing. i'm angrier than i can explain right now. love my wp8 but i won't tolerate crashes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon