822 v. 928

Teeb omus

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I love the 822. Better then the Z10 I'm using right now. Very, very solid phone, never had any issues. I was rotating between that and my GS3 until I shattered my GS3. Then I used that pretty much non-stop until I started testing out the Z10 for our BB10 environment. The camera is just meh. Not good. GS3 blew it away and I do like the camera on the Z10. There was just too much delay on the 822 camera from when you press the button until it actually takes a picture. It seems like a bug because after you take the first picture the next when is a lot more snappy. However, the moment you are trying to capture usually has passed... :)
I'm with you on that one. For me to go to the 928 from the 822 I would give up unlimited data and sign away another 2 years(I'm now month to month since I got my 828 on Ebay). Can't bring myself to do it ...yet. I never come close to using over 2 gb of data, but still.

If you knew for sure Verizon was gonna nuke all unlimited data anyway then I'd say go for the 928, but unlimited data is important for a lot of folks. Heck, my wife is still rocking her Trophy and she hardly uses ANY data at all but I can't bring myself to upgrading her phone and losing her data even though she wouldn't even know...

Teeb omus

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm with you on that one. For me to go to the 928 from the 822 I would give up unlimited data and sign away another 2 years(I'm now month to month since I got my 828 on Ebay). Can't bring myself to do it ...yet. I never come close to using over 2 gb of data, but still.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I've actually just upgraded from an 822 to a 928, here's the few things I've noted:

Battery life on the 928 absolutely smokes the 822. But the 822 had no issues charging from PC USB, 928 has to be wall charged.
Camera wise, in all honesty, is not that big of a jump from 822 to 928. They just seem a bit clearer on the 928, not much of a thing though.
Without having them both in front of me, I remember the 822 being bigger. I know it was for sure a lot wider. I'll definitely say the 928 has a better 'pocket feel'.

Here's the thing: I dumped the 822 because of the 'other storage' issue. Version still hasn't updated it to receive the storage check app. The 822 would fill it's other storage *rapidly*. The only solution is a full reinstall.

You can't charge through USB on the PC? I'm doing it right now. I wonder why it won't work for you.

Camera wise, I do find it considerably better on two fronts. The low-light camera really is all it's cracked up to be. Amazed by those photos. Also, it's significantly faster at loading up and taking picture. I appreciate that change a lot.

For size, the 928 is bigger all around, I don't think the 822 is wider. But the 928 is good, I like the size.

I'm with you, one of the major reasons I went from the 822 to the 928 is the storage check app. I had 8+ GB of other on my 822 that I couldn't get rid of.

R Sakai

May 8, 2013
Visit site
You can't charge through USB on the PC? I'm doing it right now. I wonder why it won't work for you.

Yeah, I'd had it plugged in through usb on multiple machines, barely received any charge. Plugged it in through the wall adapter, charges super quick. Figured it worked like the bigger devices in the office here, didn't think much of it. Might have to check into it.

Teeb omus

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Regarding the low light pic comparison. When I take a low light pic with the 822 and then edit with auto fix, it lightens it considerably. Not sure if it is 928 quality though. Is this what the 928 is doing automatically ? or is there something superior about the optics?

yeto

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I have both phones.

928 = better in-call volume
928 = great optical image stabilization
928 = white balance has to be in florescent mode for true color
822 = lighter versus 928

philchen

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
928 is hands down better: it has optical image stabilization: this to me is a big plus.

I hope you are not too serious about keeping your unlimited data plan: that grandfathered plan is no longer supported on any new phone--
as soon as you activate your new phone you will have to get rid of that unlimited data plan and switch over to the newer ones (with limit of course).

IcantCanything

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You can keep your unlimited data plan as long as you don't use an upgrade on the line that has unlimited data to get a new phone. Buying phones off of Craigslist or eBay or paying full price inside of a retail store DOES NOT affect your data plan. I know this because I went from a droid x to a iPhone 5. Yes I paid full retail in the store.

lancepr

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
928 has better screen, especially reading outside in the sun light.
One bug my 928 has is that I can not turn the flash off to takes pics.

gbafam

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I wound up getting the 822 for the most prosaic of reasons; keeping my data plan meant that the 822 was substantially cheaper, since it had been out for some time, and I wound up buying one off of ebay. I've been very pleased; I appreciate the smaller size, the removable battery and the expandable memory. I'm not persuaded yet (posted on this elsewhere) that any phone takes photos that are the equivalent of a point and shoot digital camera, so the camera hasn't been a big deal. I've moved completely from the palm universe to windows, including a surface pro. I do find the availability of all of the MS tools to be helpful. Thanks to everyone for your comments.

gbafam

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
First, I haven't gotten the 928 but I have the 822. I just bought the rare red Nokia Lumia 822 off of eBay 3 weeks ago for $120. And I love this phone. I like it better than all the other phones because of rounded corners and removable backing. If I ever have to remove battery or replace battery it makes it much easier. I just don't like the rectangle like phones. The rounded phones make it have a better feel for me. I like the camera,but I'm not really a camera person. The two button reset works perfectly for me, you just hold bottom volume button and power button for 10-15 seconds.On my phone it just has this slight bubbly sounding call quality at the beginning of every call, pretty great phone for my taste any other things I have to complain about is the OS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon