Is typing on smaller screens more accurate than bigger screens?

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I was just curious of this. At least where I live, there is always this mindset of a bigger touchscreen being much easier to type on than a smaller screen. It's funny though, as I tried this with 3 of my devices (the Surface RT, Lumia 822, and HTC Trophy).

I have realized that from my move from the HTC Trophy (WP7) to Lumia 822 (WP8), the first thing I realized (other than small tiles) was a poor keyboard typing experience compared to the Trophy. I just blamed it on WP8 having a poor SW keyboard compared to WP7. I did try typing on the Surface RT after I got mine (SW) and it was even worse with typos after typos.

It's weird as I have big thumbs and I type on-screen using only my thumbs (except the Surface, I used both hands for that). When I type on phones, I have both my hands behind my device (holding it), but my thumbs are in front of the screen using either based on the letter I want to output and if it is closer to one or the other.

Is it the way I hold and type using the device? Or is my observation that smaller screens = more accurate true?

Oh, by the way, I meant SW as software, just so you don't get confused!

TL;DR: I think that from my observation, typing on the touch screen is easier on smaller screen devices.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 822 using Tapatalk

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Typing on pretty much any tablet won't be a great experience if you ask me.

As far as phone goes, neither way is true. It really depends on the person's hand size, phone shape and specific keyboard being used.

cwbcpa71

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I have had a variety of different size phones and used a lot of different keyboards. I really think it has more to do with the keyboard than the phone size. I'm not saying it doesn't play a role, but at least for me it seems to have more to do with the keyboard. I always thought the keyboard on the iPhone was pretty good, not great, but it did the job. I've had a few Samsung Galaxy phones and the default keyboards are awful. I always switched to Swiftkey which happens to be my second favorite keyboard. I just picked up a Lumia 822 and have never used a WP before. I am already used to it and feel pretty good about this keyboard and the size of the phone. My favorite keyboard is on my Blackberry 9930. You still can't beat the real deal. It also happens to be a small phone so maybe you are on to something. Hmmmm.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon