Can't get microSD card out of Lumia 830

JulietPurcell

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. Don't know if anyone can help. I recently bought a Nokia Lumia 830, & want to change my currently installed 8gb sd card for a new 32gb one. Problem is, I can't get my 8gb card out of the phone. It is correctly installed; on pushing it in it pops out halfway but I can't get it to come out completely. I've tried gently using flat ended tweezers, but no good.
Anyone got any tips or suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my MI 4W using Tapatalk

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes...

Stop pulling on it.

Go to as repair shop and get help. You have a bent pin snagged on the card. Pulling can break it off.

This is a qualified repair situation.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Could be a bent pin, but probably not.

This is a common issue with the 830. I'm on my 4th one and it was nearly impossible to to remove the MicroSD card from each of them... it is a design flaw.

Just a few days ago, I was able to remove one with a pair of tweezers, but as you said that hasn't worked for you. On my first 830, I had trouble while I was at AT&T removing it to put in my 2nd 830 so I let the sales people there do it, I don't know how they did it but that SD card never worked again.

I've also had success removing the card by popping it out halfway, then sliding a thin but rigid piece of plastic under it (a credit card may work, but something thinner would be better), and using that as a ramp if sorts. It still wasn't easy, but that has worked every other time.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No issues for me on my 830... I've swapped cards in and out a few times as a backup phone and the eject spring has worked every time.

I did not know others were having this issue.

JulietPurcell

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
@tangledW I'll try to get to the care store along with the new sd card, and let the try & sort it. Bit awkward time wise as I'll be going away at end of the week.

Sent from my MI 4W using Tapatalk

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My 830 was kinda like this. The card would come out halfway but the angle or something isn't nice enough for it to just slide out.

I've taken to pushing the card in and sliding my fingernail out of the way so the card pops out like a toaster. I haven't lost the card yet.

I can't say its the proper way to do it, but eh.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
known issue as others stated. I have this all the time with mine and my wife's L830. The micro SDCard has a small hook-like indent on one side. when you release it to slide out half way (at which point you cannot pull it any further) insert a pin like object into that indent (thumb tag, needle, pen tip etc) to push it out.
works every time for me.

JulietPurcell

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
known issue as others stated. I have this all the time with mine and my wife's L830. The micro SDCard has a small hook-like indent on one side. when you release it to slide out half way (at which point you cannot pull it any further) insert a pin like object into that indent (thumb tag, needle, pen tip etc) to push it out.
works every time for me.

Thanks for tip.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
On my 830 I pulled out the card as far as a could with my fingers ... then got a strip of packing tape and grabbed the card with it ... was able to pull it out with ease that way. : )

vinscg

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
i took an exacto knife and pulled it out , stabbed the fat part of thecard 😁 . its almost impossible to take that thing out.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Just push it in as far as it will go with your finger nail then release it quickly.
It will be like a projectile and will fly out.
Just make sure it lands where you can find it. :wink:
Works every time.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... I think I push in and just pull my finger out of the way and it pops right out. IDK. Mine seems pretty normal for a spring loaded tray.

JulietPurcell

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
works every time for me.

Well, many thanks to you all for your help & ideas, but this is the one that's finally done it for me. I pushed the sd card in, it popped out halfway . Then I got a pin & pushed it gently into side of the card as suggested, where there was an indentation. And eureka! Out came the memory card. Hooray! it was undamaged & no scratches on phone.

Have now put my 32gb card in & am transferring my music, photos files onto it via my pc.
Thank you again for your help.

RChamy

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Hey, mine have the exact same isue, but you can press it with the screen turned up, the card will catapult off the phone.

Last edited:

jay6600

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Never had this occur on any my windows phones, if ever does im opting on the super thin rigid piece of plastic to help :) , we used to do similar in old nokia 6600 to fool phone into thinking no mmc was inserted ,then remove it, to enable 6600 to format a corrupt mmc that was preventing initial device startup.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital