Rip 830...

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
My beloved phone of 2 years lit up one last time yesterday morning. I was uploading a 0:59 (seconds) video via whatsapp while charging (I think this may have been the cause) and it wouldn't upload the video. About 3 mins later, the phone rebooted. Reboot again. Reboot. Loads up fine. I go into whatsapp and its still trying to load the friggin video... the kiss of death appeared to have been when I tried to cancel the upload by hitting the X over the video. It shut down and never came back to life.

Windows Device Recovery Tool fails...
- Device Not Detected
- Select Lumia ... it reads the model, "Lumia 830 RM-985 var" - I select it.
- Downloading emergency package
- Begin Emergency flashing..
- Operation ended with failure:
Software installation failed. Please try restarting your device, and try the software installation again. If your device is not detected please use button "My device was not detected" on Welcome screen.

Well, it doesn't restart/boot up or vibrate on volume down + power button.

I fear the hardware overheated. Is there anyway to bring it back to life? (I'm erring on the side of 'no,' I already ordered a 640 & await its delivery, but I'd still like to revive this if it's even a remote possibility.)

The PC detects SOMETHING when it is on USB, but not that it is a windows phone, but this: QHSUSB_HULK

This article:
http://geekswithblogs.net/freestylecoding/archive/2012/12/16/how-i-bricked-my-lumia-920.aspx
Although is about the 920, sounds awfully similar to my issue. Batteries are rather expensive for a 'what if' solution; anybody have any experience reviving this type of issue with a fresh battery??

Another article: https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/219029/Device+will+not+power+on+after+battery+ran+dry
I've let it charge for over 10+ minutes already. It's got the normal warmth to it, the way it always did while charging. Based on this thread... all signs point to fried hardware. Though I'm open to any troubleshoot suggestions if anyone may have them!

Last edited:

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Totally is. The longest any smartphone has lasted with me (I'm pretty rough with them)
I feel like a good friend has just passed away :cry:

I'd of purchased another one, but the 640 was going for nearly half of what the 830 was on ebay. I'm out of a phone so sitting around and waiting for a deal isn't going to happen. Though I've learned my lesson. I will keep a backup device from now on. If I can find one on the cheap of an 830, I'd be pretty pleased; though it's looking like a 640, which is dirt cheap right now in regards to comparable devices.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Totally is. The longest any smartphone has lasted with me (I'm pretty rough with them)
I feel like a good friend has just passed away :cry:

I'd of purchased another one, but the 640 was going for nearly half of what the 830 was on ebay. I'm out of a phone so sitting around and waiting for a deal isn't going to happen. Though I've learned my lesson. I will keep a backup device from now on. If I can find one on the cheap of an 830, I'd be pretty pleased; though it's looking like a 640, which is dirt cheap right now in regards to comparable devices.

This might be something to consider:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/marketplace-buy-sell-trade/426826-wts-lumia-830-extras.html

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
As tempting as it may be, I don't want to spend $100+ on a single device anymore. The 830 new cost me $400 (CAD) off contract and it didn't last very long. Sticking to 'cheap' stuff from now on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes