Port to postpaid from a gophone..NO GO!

fonephool

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Placed my preorder last week. System said my number couldn't port so I ordered a new number and figured I could sort out after it arrives.

Called them today after my new 900 arrives. AT&T tells me the only way I can move from a gophone to postpaid is to go into a corporate store. They cannot help me over the phone. My only option is to return the phone they shipped me and go to a corporate store and buy another.

I'm trying to decide if I should just return it and buy something else from another carrier. Anyone have any luck getting a gophone ported to postpaid?:mad:

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
That was one of my questions. Claim in can't be done. I'm just a bit ticked off. Wanting to pay them more money and they want me to really work to do it.

That's stupid. You called the 1-800 number right? Have you tried calling a corporate store directly and asking? Did they give the same response?

fonephool

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's stupid. You called the 1-800 number right? Have you tried calling a corporate store directly and asking? Did they give the same response?
No haven't called a store. I think I'll go to one tomorrow after work and see what they say. Otherwise I may just give it back to them, looks like I can at least return it to a store.

fonephool

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Resolved: Still NO!

Went to a corporate store after work. They cannot port my gophone number to the new phone because both numbers are already a "line" in their system.

I'm welcome to come back monday after they get their stock and purchase a new phone and they can move my number over then.

I was able to return my online order to them. I'll decide between now and Monday if I want to go through the hassle or take my business to someone else. I really was looking forward to WP7 w/LTE!

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Why not just spend 2 dollars for a prepaid T-Mobile SIM card, port your number to that, and then port from T-Mobile to AT&T?

fonephool

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Already returned it..

I thought about the tmobile port but I think they would have forced me to put money on a tmobile prepaid(at least a few bucks). I'll just wait til Monday and see how I feel about it....

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I've never had to look into this but:

I've read post in the past from people using a variety of carriers, and people weren't able to port a Pay As You Go number from any carrier to any carrier. It just seems like they won't port Pay As You Go numbers for some reason. I don't know why.

I hope they can help you when you return.

fonephool

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
They could port my number to any phone they had for sale in the store. But since they don't have them....

I did have a gophone awhile back and ported it out to tmobile. Just had to call AT&T to get an actual account number before the port went through.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
The other option might be to port to Google Voice permanently. It'll cost $20, but then you can have it forward to any phone and not have to worry about the porting thing again.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
They could port my number to any phone they had for sale in the store. But since they don't have them....

I did have a gophone awhile back and ported it out to tmobile. Just had to call AT&T to get an actual account number before the port went through.

Thanks for that info. Like I said, it's not something I ever had to look into, but over the years I have seen people post about not being able to port their pay as you go number. It just seemed odd that they couldn't

Let us know what happens when you return to the store. :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abigial